Computers & Electronics

Is 4K on a 75" TV a Must or is 1080p okay?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 9:16 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10403 posts
1572 upvotes
Ottawa
I would not buy a 1080P set now just because 4K content is just going to look better once there are more sources for it.

I watch 1080P Netflix all the time and the quality is ok at best, but 4K Netflix looks great. It looks at least as good or better than 1080P high bitrate Bluray. No more banding and less compression artifacts. It's a no brainer.

That isn't even considering HDR.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1585 posts
311 upvotes
Windsor
FWIW, if you don't have something that plays physical 4k content locally, the quality of an "OTA" 4k (Netflix, OTA sports, etc) is considerably worse than 1080p on physical local media.

I'm not in the market for a 75" TV, but if I was, I'd probably go for the 4k TV simply because my electronics last me a very long time for some reason; I hate buying twice, but I'm not sure of the price difference. If you care about 4k content, you'll probably be disappointed, again, unless you have a physical local 4k device (4k gaming, at this point, basically).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10142 posts
3568 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:31 pm
FWIW, if you don't have something that plays physical 4k content locally, the quality of an "OTA" 4k (Netflix, OTA sports, etc) is considerably worse than 1080p on physical local media.

I'm not in the market for a 75" TV, but if I was, I'd probably go for the 4k TV simply because my electronics last me a very long time for some reason; I hate buying twice, but I'm not sure of the price difference. If you care about 4k content, you'll probably be disappointed, again, unless you have a physical local 4k device (4k gaming, at this point, basically).
Have you even watched a 4k HDR Netflix stream on a 75" 4k HDR TV? It looks stunning.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1585 posts
311 upvotes
Windsor
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:13 pm
Have you even watched a 4k HDR Netflix stream on a 75" 4k HDR TV? It looks stunning.
Not on my TV, but at a local bar; after hours we hang out and watch movies. The artifacting looks atrocious; turns out, this is as good as it gets.. 4K Netflix, 4K Sports, 4K everything ... except when they plug in the PC for game nights; THAT looks sweet.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10142 posts
3568 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:43 pm
Not on my TV, but at a local bar; after hours we hang out and watch movies. The artifacting looks atrocious; turns out, this is as good as it gets.. 4K Netflix, 4K Sports, 4K everything ... except when they plug in the PC for game nights; THAT looks sweet.
I have a feeling there is something wrong with their setup. I find my 4k feeds look great, particularly with hdr.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.