• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2019 6:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 12, 2010
28 posts
6 upvotes
mb

4x4 post anchors

Hello! I'm about the build a deck and came across these post anchors for railing https://peakproducts.com/us/product/pla ... t-anchors/

These look good for railing systems. I was wondering if these are structural enough for a 14ft wide 6ft tall privacy fence. I'd use 3-4 of these 4x4 anchors.

My concern is the abuse this would take from the wind, we do get some strong winds in the prairies since everything is flat here heh
13 replies
Jr. Member
Feb 5, 2019
131 posts
129 upvotes
Absolutely not. Given that you'd be installing these lined up on a single plane for a fence, it does not provide structural support to keep it upright, let alone in windy conditions.

These are used for gazebo structures to be fastened down to a deck. The structure itself provides the support to keep it upright.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7450 posts
3558 upvotes
Paris
I’d even question the value with a railing that has a large straight run. I don’t think id trust them to support a drunk friend leaning on a railing longer than 12 feet without 2 right angles of some decent distance at either end. For a straight railing with no support at the top I wouldn’t use those.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 12, 2010
28 posts
6 upvotes
mb
GTArenovate wrote: Absolutely not. Given that you'd be installing these lined up on a single plane for a fence, it does not provide structural support to keep it upright, let alone in windy conditions.

These are used for gazebo structures to be fastened down to a deck. The structure itself provides the support to keep it upright.
Jerico wrote: I’d even question the value with a railing that has a large straight run. I don’t think id trust them to support a drunk friend leaning on a railing longer than 12 feet without 2 right angles of some decent distance at either end. For a straight railing with no support at the top I wouldn’t use those.
Yeah I figured that, the contractor suggested it for aesthetic looks. Also noted that he would put some L brackets tieing it to the house, which I'm against it.

What would be the best way to secure the privacy fence onto the deck? Lag bolts onto the sides like this?
https://www.infernaldreams.net/upload/2 ... 8edfdb.jpg
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 12, 2010
28 posts
6 upvotes
mb
GTArenovate wrote: That's how I would do it.
Thank you!

For a 14ft long fence, I was going to tell the contractor to use 4 4x4 post. I mean I'm thinking it would be more structurally sound? I believe he was going to use only 3 4x4 posts.
Member
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
212 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
For a fence not a chance, for a railing on my deck also not a chance.

Build it once, build it right....railings are a safety item especially when you have lots of people of all ages using. Tie the railings into the structure, not a bolt on afterwards.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
10965 posts
2329 upvotes
Kingston
pekpek wrote: What would be the best way to secure the privacy fence onto the deck? Lag bolts onto the sides like this?
https://www.infernaldreams.net/upload/2 ... 8edfdb.jpg
Those posts look like they're notched which would not pass code in my area. Best if deck posts are fastened on 2 sides.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
592 posts
253 upvotes
London, On
As said, check your local codes. Deck railings usually need to be fastened in on the inside of the structure with at least 2 sides of the post attached to structural lumber, not on the outside, and should be no more than 6 feet apart. It's a pain to finish off the decking around the 4x4's, but a notched 4x4 bolted on like that is basically a 2x4 for strength now.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
9690 posts
6107 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
NO
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7450 posts
3558 upvotes
Paris
JWL wrote: Those posts look like they're notched which would not pass code in my area. Best if deck posts are fastened on 2 sides.
I don’t think they are. I think they are like I did my deck... double 2x8 rim joists, attach posts, then another 2x10 fascia board which provides side to side rigidity and an edge to the deck (thats not the pic but rather how I did mine.

Notching is bad thought agree.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
592 posts
253 upvotes
London, On
Jerico wrote: I don’t think they are. I think they are like I did my deck... double 2x8 rim joists, attach posts, then another 2x10 fascia board which provides side to side rigidity and an edge to the deck (thats not the pic but rather how I did mine.

Notching is bad thought agree.
Notched or not, they are still bolted on to the outside of the frame, which wouldn't pass code here.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
592 posts
253 upvotes
London, On
Jerico wrote: When I built in 2008 it did with correct bracing under the deck.
Must have been a local thing. I built mine in 2003 and it failed with the posts on the outside. It was only an 8x8 off a side door so I was trying to maximize the space. Inspector said the posts have to be mounted inside the rim joist, and also if it wasn't in a corner where a floor joist met the rim, it also needed to be blocked in so that it was supported in each direction.

Top