Shopping Discussion

5 Alarm Fire at the Canada Computers on College Street!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2010 6:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13364 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto

5 Alarm Fire at the Canada Computers on College Street!

For those who shop there and know about this chain, here is the 680 news link:

http://www.680news.com/news/local/artic ... town-blaze

Fire marshal investigates after five alarm downtown blaze
680News staff Sep 06, 2010 10:39:20 AM

TORONTO, Ont. - The fire marshal has been called in to investigate following a five alarm blaze downtown Sunday night.

Toronto fire told 680News the flames broke out at approximately 11:00 p.m. on College St., between Bathurst and Spadina, destroying the ground floor of a computer store, before spreading to the basement and then breaking the windows in the apartments located above it.

It also spread to the building next door.

More than 80 firefighters were called to the scene and battled the flames for several hours.

Although no residents were hurt, one firefighter was taken to hospital with a leg injury, and another was transported by ambulance after suffering smoke inhalation. One of the two has already been released from hospital, and the other will be discharged later on Monday.

The buildings adjacent to where the blaze broke out were evacuated, and police said the area will remain closed throughout part of the day Monday as the investigation continues.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
15 replies
Jun 3, 2005
698 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
I wonder when the 'fire sale' will begin.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18923 posts
2226 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I bet you all the mail in rebates went up in smoke
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2010
1229 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I bet they will salvage the ruins to see what they can repackaged and sold for new.

Hahaha
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2004
1923 posts
16 upvotes
I just drove by it on the way home! Cops and firefighters were still hanging around the scene.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
expect more traffic @ NCIX... consider they PM and CC doesn't. =P
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
cute --- from the CC website

"Toronto (temporarily closed for renovation! Sorry for the inconvenience.)"
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
I hope the firefighters make it out fine. Props to them for their work.
Jun 19, 2009
895 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
They probably torched their own inventory for insurance money instead of letting it become obsolete now with greater competition from Bewawa and NCIX. :lol:

But in all seriousness, it must've been a damn big fire. I'm used to hearing 2 to 3 alarm fires, but this one was supposedly a 6. I hope the people who live there are ok. Props to the firefighters.
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Why does it take hours to put out a fire? All you have to do is completely flood the place with water and the fire will be snuffed out. Even the biggest fire shouldn't be able to survive after 15 minutes of continuous water bombardment, especially from a small building like the CanadaComputers store. What were the firefighters doing? Rescuing kittens?
enon
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
138 upvotes
Hampton
No doubt the building can be seen from a distance by the RFD vultures circling above it. I can understand how long it would have taken to put the fire out - all those plastics and potentially hazardous fumes from burning electronics would have been nasty to be around - there's a reason there is a program for disposing of E-waste. Putting out a plastic fire is like extinguishing burning oil - water alone won't do it very easily.
Nov 22, 2009
711 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
enon wrote:
Sep 9th, 2010 7:26 pm
Why does it take hours to put out a fire? All you have to do is completely flood the place with water and the fire will be snuffed out. Even the biggest fire shouldn't be able to survive after 15 minutes of continuous water bombardment, especially from a small building like the CanadaComputers store. What were the firefighters doing? Rescuing kittens?

Because all/any accelerants/burning materials in a building can be put out with water and fire extinguishers don't have different classifications. Not to mention, the water shoots out from a hose than only douses a certain area. Roof? Basement? Any room with a closed door?

hurr durr derp derp