Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26001 posts
211229 upvotes
GTA

$5 Device Unlocks Car Doors

From CBC:

[QUOTE]

A new tool is allowing criminals across the world to break into cars without leaving a trace, and now that device has made its way to Winnipeg.

The new device can be purchased online for about $5 and sends an electromagnetic pulse through a car’s key area to unlock the vehicle.

Winnipegger Rick Henzel had no idea the technology existed, until his car was broken into early Sunday morning.

“We did find the glove box open, insurance papers stolen,” said Henzel.

At first, he thought his wife had left the doors unlocked, but a neighbour told him he had phoned the police early that morning when he heard noise outside.

Luckily, the whole thing was caught on tape. Henzel had installed security cameras on his property about a year ago when his car was broken into previously.

“They come running up into the screen. It’s a free for all,” he said. “They’re in that car as well and away they go. Just like that.”

Thieves can be seen applying a device to a car and then opening the door as if it is unlocked.

“It makes you feel a bit vulnerable to be honest with you because you feel like a victim,” said Henzel.

Michael Legary is a security expert with Seccuris. He said thieves are using the $5 devices to hack into vehicles’ computer systems.

"So just like we have to worry about our computers being hacked, our cars can be hacked as well,” said Legary. “That's something we didn't have to worry about a decade ago."

The device sends an electromagnetic pulse into the vehicle, tricking it into unlocking the door, much like a keyless entry key fob.

He said according to the device’s manufacturer, at least 19 of the devices have been shipped to Winnipeg in the past three months.

Legary said while you can’t prevent thieves from getting into your vehicle, you can keep them from getting your belongings, and he recommends not leaving anything, even your insurance papers, in your car unattended.

The device can be thwarted if the car’s keyless entry system is disabled, but you’ll have to visit a mechanic to have that done.

Henzel has reported the theft to police but said police officers appeared baffled by the device.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.2288826

Back to the drawing board for keyless entry...
34 replies
Dec 20, 2012
580 posts
528 upvotes
Barrie
As someone who has two cars with keyless entry/push-button start, this is interesting, to say the least.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
125 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
Where do i buy said device..?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13362 posts
8297 upvotes
Brampton
Pocket tesla coil that activates the lock solenoid.

The way to protect your car would be to wrap your solenoid in wire mesh and ground it.
Sep 1, 2001
638 posts
94 upvotes
Kanata
djemzine wrote: That's not $5 lol.
Not sure what that has to do with it.

I still think it is what all these car unlock secret device stories are talking about. It just prevents the driver from locking the car.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1802 posts
370 upvotes
I saw a video about how easy it is to steal a comfort access enabled BMW, needless to say my BMW sleeps in the garage now.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
311 upvotes
Some experts explained how it works, and see a thief walked by a car, the dome light turned on immediately and door opened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOUArz3bNU

Here is one method to open your car door with your cell phone, which means that someone who had your car key before (e.g., one parking attendant) could program your remote code and be able to get into your "expensive" car days later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86P_ByfgY8
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46967 posts
9263 upvotes
jedi1648 wrote: Some experts explained how it works, and see a thief walked by a car, the dome light turned on immediately and door opened:

Here is one method to open your car door with your cell phone, which means that someone who had your car key before (e.g., one parking attendant) could program your remote code and be able to get into your "expensive" car days later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86P_ByfgY8
Second link may only work for cars without smart key system.
Blanka
Sep 1, 2001
638 posts
94 upvotes
Kanata
jedi1648 wrote: Some experts explained how it works, and see a thief walked by a car, the dome light turned on immediately and door opened:

Notice how close he is walking to the car... walking by and pulling on car door handles....hits jack-pot
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16185 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
My car is so old it doesn't have keyless entry or power locks. I guess I am safe!................KIDDING
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
"He said according to the device’s manufacturer, at least 19 of the devices have been shipped to Winnipeg in the past three months."

Interesting that the manufacturer is willing to reveal the number of devices shipped to Winnipeg. That should help police figure out likely suspects. (Especially with the video). But assuming this device has a legitimate use, shouldn't the distributor be checking to ensure that only legitimate trustworthy people are receiving it?

Still, it just goes to show how vulnerable many of the devices we take for granted these days really are. If security is important to you, often the best solution is the most simple, low-tech solution. High-tech features, as seen here, are often the most vulnerable. (A good example would be medical records. Paper files locked away in steel cabinets would be very difficult to steal. Electronic files on a laptop linked to the internet could be very easy to steal. Possibly without anybody even realising).
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Nov 24, 2009
641 posts
101 upvotes
Fergus, ON
Those of us who drive 10 year old Chevy's don't have to worry about this, as all our electronics are shot by now.

Interesting story though.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1617 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
I just leave my doors unlocked, so everyone can snoop around!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
My Ford van open with any single or double edged key, house or car, and so did the rest of the fleet. My buddy lost his spare GM key and the guy looked at the original, walked away and returned with a key and said. "that should work" and it did.

This is how easy it is to pick a door lock unless you have good locks which most of us don't.

Your car needs an immobilizer and a locking trunk. Don't keep valuables inside.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
AudiDude wrote: My Ford van open with any single or double edged key, house or car, and so did the rest of the fleet. My buddy lost his spare GM key and the guy looked at the original, walked away and returned with a key and said. "that should work" and it did.

my 84 olds cutlass was the same. a popsicle stick probably would have worked.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Tornado F2 wrote: Still, it just goes to show how vulnerable many of the devices we take for granted these days really are. If security is important to you, often the best solution is the most simple, low-tech solution. High-tech features, as seen here, are often the most vulnerable. (A good example would be medical records. Paper files locked away in steel cabinets would be very difficult to steal. Electronic files on a laptop linked to the internet could be very easy to steal. Possibly without anybody even realising).
While I see your point, that is a terrible example. As someone in the health information field, this kind of misinformation in the public is really disappointing, and probably explains why we are so very far behind in advancing in this area.
Your beloved 'low-tech' paper files are more secure?
When an EHR is stored, it's encrypted. If someone breaks the lock (computer password) they still need to decrypt the records with valid permissions and user accounts (no one has access to every record, or every field on a record). Break the lock on your filing cabinet, everything is there, in plain text.
Better yet, everything in an EHR has access logs - you know if, when, and by who that record was broken into.
A cabinet of paper, they probably don't even know everythg that was there, never mind what's missing, or if it was even accessed.