Hot Deals

$5 NFL games at Cineplex. Superbowl too!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13730 posts
9223 upvotes
Toronto

$5 NFL games at Cineplex. Superbowl too!

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 4, 2018
cheaper than a bar if you sneak in own food/drinks ;)
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3502 posts
188 upvotes
Not bad imo. $5 for a comfy chair huge screen and food and drink service to your seat.

Too bad only sunday nights and not redzone all sunday
Apr 20, 2009
735 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, this is actually wicked. $5 and I can sneak in liquor? Umm, yes. Watching a game at the bar is routinely $50+ in drinks/tip alone.
Jul 7, 2013
16 posts
37 upvotes
Locally it's only at one "VIP theatre" - awesome with food & bar service, reserved monster reclining seats, adults only and for $5 don't have to think twice about it. I think it's a great move for Cineplex as they'll do better than a slow movie day. At 3.5hrs, people are going to buy food & drinks. I usually bring my own small snack (like candy) into a movie but will refrain from an event like this and plan on getting a drink, some appy type food, dessert and popcorn throughout. I checked today's game and a lot of seats are sold already. I picked up tix/reserved seats for next week's game.

If anybody goes this week, a report back would be appreciated!

cheers,
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3049 posts
713 upvotes
It's a cool idea but I eat so many snacks while watching football I'd bankrupt myself if I bought concessions lol
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1084 posts
424 upvotes
Oakville, ON
NFL ratings down hard... where's pr man Colin kaeparnick when you need him ?... suddenly they've stopped their protests makes you wonder
Jul 7, 2013
16 posts
37 upvotes
Reporting back in case anyone is curious...

The promo said it'd start 30 min before game time so we got there a bit early, not knowing how parking would be, etc. No need to show up on time before the game starts as the contests, etc didn't happen til the game started. Bud Light is the big sponsor and with every Bud bought came with an entry form for a jacket drawn that day and put into a pool for a national contest for a winner to head to the SuperBowl. That's pretty cool but since we don't drink beer, didn't get any entry forms for our mixed drinks. There was lots of trivia and a game played during the ads for Bud prizes like caps, towels, scarves, blankets, mini footballs, etc. After winning a couple we kept quiet to give others a chance but apart from the couple beside us, the crowd of 20+ was pretty quiet. So I thought it was great that the "Bud girls" went up to specific people to ask them a trivia question for a prize and even framed it by asking if they were Oakland or Pats or diehard fans to give them a leg up on the question asked, even then sometimes we had to help out *cough cough* with answers to get them the prizes. Good mix of painless & tougher questions. Awesome that they had a lot of giveaways.

Cineplex put in a good effort too with two F&B servers in ref shirts in the theater the whole time so you never had to miss the game to get food/drinks, a manager-type popped in a few times to see how things were going and give away popcorn to everyone after half-time - we'd just ordered some at half-time with our drinks and dessert so it would have been good if the server mentioned it was going to happen tho...LOL!

Definitely spent as much as we would have if we'd gone to a sports bar but we got to see and hear (as opposed to reading captions) the game on a massive screen, much more comfortable seats, more interactive with other fans - we had a good time bantering with the group beside with us - plus a ton of prizes. The food and drinks were decent albeit slightly inflated as expected. I'd definitely go again if my team was being shown. Actually I'll be away during the playoffs and not sure I can watch the game at where I'm staying so I'm already planning to do this again where I think I'll be more comfortable going solo than hanging out at a sports bar by myself for 3 hrs, tho I've done that before too!

There were a couple of technical glitches that I anticipate will get ironed out pretty quickly (game stopped temporarily late in the 4th like when you haven't touched your TV for a few hours and then it prompts you to hit a button, and the first server couldn't figure out how the ipad ordering worked so we had to go thru the ordering process including scanning cards and payment 3 times), but no biggie.

Obviously some of this is locale-specific but it's good to see that Cineplex is making this an experience beyond just a cash grab for them.

cheers,
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by klamchowder on Nov 20th, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13730 posts
9223 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the great, thorough review @klamchowder . What Cineplex VIP location did you attend for the NFL game?
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus