Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

5 Pack Wireless Remote Control for AC Outlet $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2015 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
23 replies
Sep 21, 2001
980 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
I got a 2-outlet outdoor one from The Source for $10 or so. It's perfect to turn on a portable heater and an IP Cam (without a switch). Not the same, but that's just an idea of what you can do with it.
Jul 3, 2008
546 posts
387 upvotes
Ontario
Features low standby power consumption.

I could plug this into a smart home outlet to turn it off when I don't want to drawing phantom power!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3803 posts
4164 upvotes
Mordor
bdaman wrote: I got a 2-outlet outdoor one from The Source for $10 or so. It's perfect to turn on a portable heater and an IP Cam (without a switch). Not the same, but that's just an idea of what you can do with it.
I got both. I find the source one's range suck though.
I use the source one turn on my Xmas lights.
For my in door one, I use it to turn on my under mount kitchen lights, lights for my kids rooms in case they don't turn it off in their night lights
pretty handy and the range is decent.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4205 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
cdnbugs23 wrote: I got these from the last sale at $32.99 but not its even cheaper (dang), these are great for remotely rebooting my router and also for my study lamp.

http://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity%C2%AE-...Remote+Control
How often do you reboot your router, lol? Seriously, if you've installed one of these for that purpose you clearly should spend money on a new (stable) router.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Ooh, cool. I want these. I did not know such a product even existed. Wait a second though, I'm not sure I need these. It's tempting, but I think I will have to pass.
Jun 17, 2013
510 posts
291 upvotes
Thanks! I was able to cancel an order from amazon I had done on Friday for the same set with only 3 plugs and 1 remote. Now I got 2 more plugs plus extra remote for only $3 more total
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Looks bulky - does this thing inadvertently take up both outlets in a standard wall jack or just one?

Can the remote(s) be programmed into a Harmony remote?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
chadw01 wrote: Can the remote(s) be programmed into a Harmony remote?
These remote work with radio frequencies, not infrared. You wouldn't want those things to work with IR because you'd need a line of sight to make them work.

To clarify, Harmony remotes work with infrared only.
Sep 25, 2007
558 posts
190 upvotes
Several of these units work on 433MHz. As an extra bonus you could pick up a cheap transmitter/receiver and snoop the specific on/off codes for each outlet then use a command line tool to trigger and schedule events. Shameless plug: I bulit a web interface with cron style scheduling to do just that: http://i.imgur.com/Lij5raH.png.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3803 posts
4164 upvotes
Mordor
joelones wrote: Several of these units work on 433MHz. As an extra bonus you could pick up a cheap transmitter/receiver and snoop the specific on/off codes for each outlet then use a command line tool to trigger and schedule events. Shameless plug: I bulit a web interface with cron style scheduling to do just that: http://i.imgur.com/Lij5raH.png.
OMG you are awesome
Sep 25, 2007
558 posts
190 upvotes
ShadowMordor wrote: OMG you are awesome
Thanks.

I have a blog post detailing the project with code, PM if anyone is interested.

Oh btw, I'm using a Raspberry Pi. So hardware requirements are quite light.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4205 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
joelones wrote: Thanks.

Sounds like I could have fun with my neighbours if they have any of these installed :evil:
Sep 25, 2007
558 posts
190 upvotes
GT!! wrote: Sounds like I could have fun with my neighbours if they have any of these installed :evil:
If you're so inclined, I guess. True, there's no encryption. But you'd have to be running your snoop session at the very moment the outlets are triggered assuming you're well within range.
Jun 17, 2013
510 posts
291 upvotes
joelones wrote: cheap transmitter/receiver and snoop the specific on/off codes for each outlet
Where did you find you find one of these?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3341 posts
2061 upvotes
dang! missed a great deal. Would have found some good uses for these. Snoozed and I lose..
Mar 18, 2013
134 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
You're executing scripts with sudo through a web interface?
joelones wrote: Thanks.