Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 29, 2005
271 posts
25 upvotes

[American Express] 50,000 bonus point with Amex Aeroplan Platinum Card

More offers from American Express
Annual fee is $499. Here is the link below. I think there is another thread on this but that one expired already. Too bad can't combine with rebate from GCR.

http://www.americanexpress.com/canada/e ... 2_en.shtml
132 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6036 posts
659 upvotes
Ajax
With an annual fee of $500, how is this hot.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6622 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 8:13 pm
With an annual fee of $500, how is this hot.
It's hot because for $500 you get 50,000 points. I rather get the platinum card as you get priority pass which gets you into any those airport lounges hroughtout the world.
Dec 27, 2010
87 posts
13 upvotes
Well to put it in some perspective, you can get a round trip ticket to Europe for 60000 miles or first class round trip for 90000 miles, so this is a very considerable amount of miles you're getting. Just had a quick glance over the perks of the card and I must say they are pretty damn impressive.

The problem is so few places around me accept American Express - a card is no use to me if I can only use it in about 10% of stores.

If I found a comparable Visa or MC with those benefits, I'd happily pay $500 a year for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1441 posts
363 upvotes
Wonder how many referrals the OP got through that stealth embedded referral link he posted =)

FYI, if you want access to priority pass / executive lounges. This card is very good for the price.

+ short-haul companion fare (complimentary) when redeeming 15k Aeroplan points (once per year).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
daikman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 8:46 pm
Wonder how many referrals the OP got through that stealth embedded referral link he posted =)

FYI, if you want access to priority pass / executive lounges. This card is very good for the price.

+ short-haul companion fare (complimentary) when redeeming 15k Aeroplan points (once per year).

This is wrong. This card does not have proper Priority Pass access - you want the standard Amex card for that.

This card is good for 1 cent per Aeroplan mile to buy the 50K miles. Maybe Maple Leaf Lounge access. That's about all.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Sep 8, 2006
592 posts
73 upvotes
Richmond
been waiting for this deal to come around, i should have applied for it before i had an 8 hour layover in SFO --- would have been mighty nice to be able to access the lounge.

if you're planning on flying anywhere in north america that's far (ie, YVR to florida ST johns-san diego) this is a bargain. or if you live in a smaller center and need a conneting flight to a major airport before you fly overseas. for 499 you just pay tax to get to ecuador, peru or colombia. that's a $800-1000 flight from a major center in canada. with this, you could fly from yellowknife to colombia on 50k miles.

also, two roundtrips YVR to halifax would be 700+ each. this would probalby have $200 tax on each, so major savings even for immediate flight use.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
daikman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 8:46 pm

This card does not come with the PP membership, only MLL.
I have both regular plat and aero plat.
The regular plat is much more useful than the aeroplan plat.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
emmpeethree wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 9:33 pm
been waiting for this deal to come around, i should have applied for it before i had an 8 hour layover in SFO --- would have been mighty nice to be able to access the lounge.
doesn't matter, because no MLL in SFO
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
It does have basic PP access - cardholder free, no guests. So still somewhat useful :)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 9:40 pm
It does have basic PP access - cardholder free, no guests. So still somewhat useful :)
Yea, I forgot it comes with the PP standard membership, but it is almost useless, because you have to pay $27 USD per visit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9221 posts
644 upvotes
came in looking for some aeroplan points.

but i'm not paying 500 bucks. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
Airbus wrote:
Jan 14th, 2013 9:50 pm
Yea, I forgot it comes with the PP standard membership, but it is almost useless, because you have to pay $27 USD per visit.
Oh I thought the primary cardholder was free? Ha. That's a total waste then, never mind. No wonder I never use mine :)

On the other hand, 50,000 Aeroplans for $500 is a decent deal and always has been.
× < >