• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2012 6:13 am
Tags:
None
Oct 1, 2006
440 posts
10 upvotes

$500 men's shoes vs $100 ones

hi, so at places like aldo, there're these leather shoes for like $80, then i was at harry rosen and i see $550 pairs. i didn't spend a lot of time examining the differences. so does anyone know if the $500 are really worth that. from a distance i really can't tell a $100 pair from a $600 pair.

if it's a $600 LV wallet i get it. but with shoes, not so much. so please educate me. lol
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2687 posts
255 upvotes
Markham
It's the brand.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3061 posts
245 upvotes
I think it depends on the maker. Some shoes do use better materials and craftsmanship, and it shows. At the same time, you can find bigger brand names that live off their hype and put out mediocre goods.

I used to buy shoes from places like Aldo way back in the day and generally they seem to age/wear out a bit more quickly. Some shoes cheaped out on the in-soles and were quite uncomfortable to wear for longer periods.

I have since then started investing a bit more in shoes (Hugo Boss, Prada, Allen Edmonds) and the difference in price is more than worth it to me. I find they are much, much more comfortable even after wearing them all day, and most of them actually seem to get better looking as they age (try saying that about Aldos :razz :) . I find they also last much longer (if you take care of them properly and maybe rotate between a couple pairs). Even my very first Hugo Boss shoes that I bought maybe 6 years ago still look great and almost new even though they're worn day in, day out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
5541 posts
250 upvotes
went to Europe and got "$500" shoes for $130, italian hand made, the leather is super smooth and wraps around my foot like a sock. Compared to most $500 in stores here, they are still higher quality.

Yes there is a difference, a big one, but one that is a luxury and to a big degree, unless your income is over 6 figures, not worth it. I love the shoes i have, but they wear out as fast as the other types of shoes, and if they werent $130 and were $500, i wouldnt even had taken a second look.

In short, the quality is there in the right store and product, not in big name brand stores, and they're not quite worth it even with that big quality improvement. I rather have other luxuries for the extra money.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8846 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
EnyCe wrote:
May 16th, 2012 9:55 pm
It's the brand.

Yup! Are they worth it.... If you make the average RFD salary of $500,000 then why not?
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0

|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
May 26, 2006
861 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
There's a saying that a $200 pair of shoes will last you twice as long as a $100 pair of shoes, but a $300 pair of shoes will last you forever.

The numbers aren't exact, but essentially what it means is that cheaper shoes are meant to be disposable. Slightly more expensive shoes are just slightly nicer versions, yet still will wear out and you'll be forced to throw them away. At a certain point though, you pass a threshold where the shoes will last if you take care of them. Soles that can be replaced so the shoes last 10+ years if you take care of them.

Of course you can spend $500, $1000 or more if you really want to, however you don't need to spend that much. Look for something like an Allen Edmonds on sale....there's a dramatic difference between these and cheaper 'Aldo' style shoes.
Mar 28, 2010
842 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
feelthedeal wrote:
May 16th, 2012 9:57 pm
I think it depends on the maker. Some shoes do use better materials and craftsmanship, and it shows. At the same time, you can find bigger brand names that live off their hype and put out mediocre goods.

I used to buy shoes from places like Aldo way back in the day and generally they seem to age/wear out a bit more quickly. Some shoes cheaped out on the in-soles and were quite uncomfortable to wear for longer periods.

I have since then started investing a bit more in shoes (Hugo Boss, Prada, Allen Edmonds) and the difference in price is more than worth it to me. I find they are much, much more comfortable even after wearing them all day, and most of them actually seem to get looking better as they age (try saying that about Aldos :razz :) . I find they also last much longer (if you take care of them properly and maybe rotate between a couple pairs). Even my very first Hugo Boss shoes that I bought maybe 6 years ago still look great and almost new even though they're worn day in, day out.

+1

OP. not saying you can't find comfortable shoes at a cheaper price point, but as the old saying goes. You get what you pay for. I have a pair of GARBAGE shoes from Moores that cost probably $100 IIRC, they are uncomfortable and at the end of the day my feet start to hurt. I'm waiting on my much hyped Allen Edmonds to arrive in 2 weeks.

Think of shoes as an investment that will last you a very long time with proper care.

Aldo shoes are trash in my opinion, stay away from that store like a plague.
PSN - Meditech82
[OP]
Oct 1, 2006
440 posts
10 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
May 16th, 2012 10:25 pm
went to Europe and got "$500" shoes for $130, italian hand made,

if a pair of $500 shoes sell for $130 in europe, then a $500 pair of shoes from europe must cost thousands in canada LOL
Aug 13, 2009
961 posts
63 upvotes
Yes you can tell whether your shoes are $100 or $600. It's no coincidence the term "well-heeled" means wealthy. There are much more that goes with a pair of shoes than just their looks. There are other factors such as the quality of the material, and the construction of the shoes. You spend the majority of your day walking on your feet so why not invest in a pair of comfortable shoes?

I tried aldo before, and these shoes never last more than a season and I didn't even wear them everyday. They are so cheaply constructed the leather chips and fades easily. I would much rather pay $300 for a pair of classic style of allen edmonds/aldens that will last me 10+ years with proper shoe care than some $100 trendy fashion forward aldos that will last me at most 6 months. My motto is always buy for posterity. I would much rather pay a large amount on an item that i really like and will last me for a very long time than waste money and time buying something cheap and I have to keep on finding replacements for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4904 posts
747 upvotes
Since this discussion is revolving around the topic of well-made, timeless, and long-lasting shoes, anyone care to mention brands other than Alden and Allen Edmonds (which seem to be praised on RFD)? I would like to start doing some research. Looking for comfort and durability (I can make a pair of comfy sneakers last a decade from daily wear so I appreciate quality), and dressy to go with a suit. My budget is $500 maximum. Thank you in advance. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
It's like comparing a $100 leather jacket with a $500+ one..

As long as the $500 jacket isn't some mainstream branded crap like Diesel/G-Star and is actually crafted by reputable leather artisans, the $500-1000+ leather jacket can last you a lifetime and will look new/better year after year.
if it's a $600 LV wallet i get it. but with shoes, not so much. so please educate me. lol
A person's shoes tells you more about them than their wallet/watch.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
5787 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Bally of Switzerland
Bruno Magli
Brogue
John Lobb
Johnston and Murphy hand made in the USA is the best value for money and almost as comfortable as Bally.
Every man should own a proper pair of Black Wing Tips.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/?afsrc ... d=true&v=a

Can often be found on Sierra Trading post for less than retail.

I really love shoes.
Mar 7, 2012
93 posts
14 upvotes
NEWMARKET
I wear a $60 pair of shoes everyday. Walking at least 45 mins to an hour each day. After almost 2 years they are still fine, no problems. I would never pay $500 for a pair of shoes, even if they lasted 5 years or whatever. Eventually I'd get bored with the design and want something different.
Mar 28, 2010
842 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
trini wrote:
May 17th, 2012 9:55 am
Bally of Switzerland
Bruno Magli
Brogue
John Lobb
Johnston and Murphy hand made in the USA is the best value for money and almost as comfortable as Bally.
Every man should own a proper pair of Black Wing Tips.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/?afsrc ... d=true&v=a

Can often be found on Sierra Trading post for less than retail.

I really love shoes.

Are you on SF? I think I've seen you post there as well
PSN - Meditech82
Dec 25, 2009
406 posts
17 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
May 17th, 2012 9:09 am
Since this discussion is revolving around the topic of well-made, timeless, and long-lasting shoes, anyone care to mention brands other than Alden and Allen Edmonds (which seem to be praised on RFD)? I would like to start doing some research. Looking for comfort and durability (I can make a pair of comfy sneakers last a decade from daily wear so I appreciate quality), and dressy to go with a suit. My budget is $500 maximum. Thank you in advance. :)
Bruno Magli's (as some have already mentioned)
Tods
Cole Haan
Moreschi
Florsheim
Donald J. Pliner
Ferragammo
Churchs

Check out www.shopthefinest.com for high quality shoes (brand name, but not mainstream brands) at discounts below your budget.
Someone mentioned John Lobb's......they are crazy expensive, and unaffordable (hard to find) for 99% of the population.
× < >