Personal Finance

50000$ cash settlement .. which bank accounts to open for maximum bonus?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 10:12 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
255 posts
89 upvotes

50000$ cash settlement .. which bank accounts to open for maximum bonus?

Assume you received $50000 CAD as a cash settlement ... which bank accounts youd open for maximum new bank account bonus redemption?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5255 posts
5285 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you put it in a bank account?
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1486 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
hoob wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:14 am
Why would you put it in a bank account?
+1. If you had that much cash sitting around and don't need it to pay down debts or keep for emergencies, you'd be better off putting it in a self-directed investment account and buy some ETFs or index funds.

But if this is just a what-if exercise, then most of the major banks have signup bonuses at the moment.

Tangerine - get up to $200, but no minimum balance
CIBC - get free Amazon Prime for a year ($89 worth)
Scotiabank - get $300
TD - get $500 if you're from Vancouver; otherwise nothing I think
Simplii - get $200 I think
RBC - there's a promo but you also have to pay a monthly fee
Etc. etc.

Even meeting all the minimum balances for all these offers you'll probably still have about $25k left to play with.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Platinum / Drop / GCR / Ebates / Paytm
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
255 posts
89 upvotes
quanta wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:41 am
+1. If you had that much cash sitting around and don't need it to pay down debts or keep for emergencies, you'd be better off putting it in a self-directed investment account and buy some ETFs or index funds.

But if this is just a what-if exercise, then most of the major banks have signup bonuses at the moment.

Scotiabank - get $300
Etc. etc.

Even meeting all the minimum balances for all these offers you'll probably still have about $25k left to play with.
My friend got the settlement check finally ... We went shopping around

The only options ATM seem to be pretty bleak

BMOs premier account which gives a $300 bonus with a 6000$ minimum balance for a year plus no fee for a world elite mastercard ($120 off) which in turn comes with a 5% cashback up to 4000$ spent in first 3 months
HSBC which has a newcomer account with a $500 bonus plus another $100 for a setting up a direct deposit plus another $50 for referring someone else
GIC from CIBC with a 3.5% rate for 18 months ( a few other options as well that offer 3% for a year)

Investing in an index fund seems like a non-option atm with the economy still in limbo or even tanking.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3714 posts
3374 upvotes
Vancouver
There are welcome bonus deals out there that bring bigger returns than standard ETFs. I got a $950 bonus for opening an account at HSBC, depositing $5k, moving my payroll there, and referring three others. I have to keep the account open for 15 months total to avoid clawbacks. That's a 15.2% AIR. Show me an ETF or index fund that can do that.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1061 posts
685 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 11:01 am
There are welcome bonus deals out there that bring bigger returns than standard ETFs. I got a $950 bonus for opening an account at HSBC, depositing $5k, moving my payroll there, and referring three others. I have to keep the account open for 15 months total to avoid clawbacks. That's a 15.2% AIR. Show me an ETF or index fund that can do that.
+1

Made $1100 in bank bonuses last year just by shuffling 5K around/making 10 $1 Amazon GC purchases on a debit card every month. What a steal lol.
Riding the Mint Mobile 3 months for $20 gravy train until it derails!
Nov 25, 2003
319 posts
114 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
quanta wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:41 am

Scotiabank - get $300
Etc. etc.

Which deal was this? (scotiabank $300)?
I've been away for a while....
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1486 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
1st timer wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:03 am
Which deal was this? (scotiabank $300)?
Get $300 and $100 worth of Scotia Rewards opening Scotia One account. I think the offer is over now.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Platinum / Drop / GCR / Ebates / Paytm
Nov 25, 2003
319 posts
114 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
quanta wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:12 am
Get $300 and $100 worth of Scotia Rewards opening Scotia One account. I think the offer is over now.
Thanks. Yeah I remember that promotion from last year. Thought there might have been a new (and valid one) that just started up.
Last edited by 1st timer on Feb 8th, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been away for a while....
Aug 31, 2001
253 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking to open a new Bank Account too.

Right now I think BMO Premier Chequeing is the simplest with least amount of demands compared to HSBC..
May 8, 2009
8069 posts
4001 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Sedul wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:41 pm
I'm looking to open a new Bank Account too.

Right now I think BMO Premier Chequeing is the simplest with least amount of demands compared to HSBC..
HSBC may be a little more work (and branch locations may be a factor), but TD is the easiest to churn IMHO when they offer a $300+ WB. BMO should be easy enough, but AFAIK requires taking the CC (like HSBC).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1486 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly. Not all promos are created equal. RBC used to give out a free iPad worth $600 but now only give you a measly $300.

There's a few promos worth getting, but certainly not remotely enough to absorb $50k.

Again, the best strategy is to put most of the money into an ETF and hold long-term. You're not supposed to market time an ETF. You hold for a long term and it all evens out to a win. Or a fixed-term GIC. Leave a little bit of money to "play around" with if you want.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1034 posts
639 upvotes
Maybe not the exact answer you are looking for, but depending on available contribution room, depositing it in any RRSP or SDRSP account will yield you the biggest cash back possible ... that is what I would do myself!