Cell Phones

Is the $56 FIDO plan with unlimited everything and 2GB of data a good plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2012 11:54 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 18, 2012
20 posts
2 upvotes

Is the $56 FIDO plan with unlimited everything and 2GB of data a good plan?

My wife and I are both "free agents", and on month to month contracts with Rogers. We both need new phones.

This $56 plan really caught my eye. I was under the impression that Fido runs on the Rogers network. Does that mean it will have the best reception/coverage of all the "sub-brands"?

I was thinking I would sign up for 2 years and get the Galaxy Nexus for $0. My wife could sign up for 3 years and get the iPhone 5 for $179.00.

Anyway I can leverage this to negotiate a really good deal with Telus? We are in the Vancouver, BC area.

Thanks!!!
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8852 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
Fido = Rogers in terms of receptions

Galaxy Nexus is a good choice but u can't put the 56 on the iPhone.

For the iPhone u can only do the 55, 60 or 80 since the device requires a 3Year
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0

|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Well I am leaving fido. The service has been good but I find it RIDICULOUS that they have a $56 plan. But will offer me the IPhone only on the exact same plant, but charge me $67 for the same plan for wanting an IPhone.

The $56 is good for someone that has their OWN phone already. But to get a good phone for the most part it's not the best deal.

The best deal right now till Xmas eve is with Wind. $199 for the S3 and a $40 plan.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2012
20 posts
2 upvotes
XxXSnake23XxX wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 3:40 pm
Fido = Rogers in terms of receptions

Galaxy Nexus is a good choice but u can't put the 56 on the iPhone.

For the iPhone u can only do the 55, 60 or 80 since the device requires a 3Year
Oh wow. I didn't realize I couldn't get the $56 plan with the iPhone. Do you think I can talk to someone in a store and get them to do it? Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it though, I am willing to sign up for an additional year versus the Nexus. Hmmm....

Also, since I'm signing up 2 phones under contract you think I could get them to add more data and maybe some minutes to the US?

Thanks so much!
[OP]
Mar 18, 2012
20 posts
2 upvotes
harryt wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 3:44 pm
Well I am leaving fido. The service has been good but I find it RIDICULOUS that they have a $56 plan. But will offer me the IPhone only on the exact same plant, but charge me $67 for the same plan for wanting an IPhone.

The $56 is good for someone that has their OWN phone already. But to get a good phone for the most part it's not the best deal.

The best deal right now till Xmas eve is with Wind. $199 for the S3 and a $40 plan.
How is the Wind Mobile reception though? Who's network are they on? Do they have LTE?

EDIT: I found their coverage map and it is pitiful. Doesn't even cover my house in Maple Ridge, and I would be roaming when visiting my friends in Mission. You get what you pay for I guess? http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/store ... erage.aspx
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1907 posts
128 upvotes
Mississauga
LiftBigEatBig wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 3:46 pm
How is the Wind Mobile reception though? Who's network are they on? Do they have LTE?

EDIT: I found their coverage map and it is pitiful. Doesn't even cover my house in Maple Ridge, and I would be roaming when visiting my friends in Mission. You get what you pay for I guess? http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/store ... erage.aspx
even if you have coverage, you might still get bad reception inside the house...
depends if the tower is near your house or not and depends how your house is made out of hahahhaha
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3115 posts
320 upvotes
LiftBigEatBig wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 3:46 pm

If you live out in the ridge do not go with Wind or Mobi... That is for people who live downtown and dont go anywhere.... Stick with the big 3 as in Rogers... Bell... Telus and there sub companies... Koodo...Fido... Virgin
Nov 30, 2012
44 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
LiftBigEatBig wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 8:45 pm
Oh wow. I didn't realize I couldn't get the $56 plan with the iPhone. Do you think I can talk to someone in a store and get them to do it?

Answer = No

Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it though, I am willing to sign up for an additional year versus the Nexus. Hmmm....

Also, since I'm signing up 2 phones under contract you think I could get them to add more data and maybe some minutes to the US?

Answer = No

The iphone is a 3 year contract with the only plan options being the $55, $60 or $80 plans. The $56 plan is only for 2 year contracts or for those current subscribers who've been with Fido for a while and want to switch to the $56 plan. Unless you've been with Fido for at least a year it's highly unlikely they would be willing to negotiate and give you extra data or US long distance,,,, but there's no harm in asking, good luck.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2012
20 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for all the helpful information everyone!

I'm just going to double-check that we are out of contract with Rogers, and then visit my local Fido store. Will they be able to "port" my phone number from Rogers? Is this something they can do automatically on the computer or something? I assume once the phone number is transferred over I can cancel my plan with Rogers?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6532 posts
663 upvotes
BC
LiftBigEatBig wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 12:55 am
Thanks for all the helpful information everyone!

I'm just going to double-check that we are out of contract with Rogers, and then visit my local Fido store. Will they be able to "port" my phone number from Rogers? Is this something they can do automatically on the computer or something? I assume once the phone number is transferred over I can cancel my plan with Rogers?
Just FYI, Rogers will just about match the $56 Fido plan ($55 with 1GB or $65 with 3GB) and if you recommit to them for 3 years you can get the iPhone with Rogers. I feel the Razr HD LTE deal as mentioned by shushwap is the better option though.
Jun 27, 2004
91 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
harryt wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 3:44 pm

lol.

There are plenty of good phones that aren't iPhones. People buy into the hype and are willing to pay the premium so Fido charges for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11659 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
The Razr HD is an excellent phone. I have it.

The Fido $50 Razr HD with a 2-year $56 plan is a great deal.
The Best Buy/Future Shop $0 Razr HD with the $50 gift card on a 2-year $56 plan is an even better deal.
The Mobile Shop (at Superstore) $0 Razr HD with the $200 gift card on a 2-year $56 plan is totally awesome deal, but stock is gone from lots of places.
× < >