• Dec 21st, 2018 12:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada

56 and Unemployed

i was just fired from my job recently, i have high school education and did entry level jobs my whole life

is it worth going back to school for a higher education?

i only have 400k saved up not enough to retire on

very hard to find an entry level job when you're competing with younger candidates.
Last edited by bluenose2 on Jul 20th, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
332 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
What jobs did you do in the past?

I don't think it's worth your time and money to study further. Even when you get your college or university diploma, there are still tons of younger people with the same level of education that you have to complete with.

However base on what industry you worked in, your years of working experience is one thing they cannot complete with you.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Feb 10th, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
Customer service
Hospitality
Office work
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
why not upgrade your driver license to a DZ or BZ and work as a truck or bus driver?
Lots of jobs in those field for someone who's willing to do the grunt work....
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
Customer Service/office , You can do call center job, those doesn't require high level of education and light office work.
OR as the above poster said. Bus driver or dealership shuttle driver are not bad too
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Temp. Banned
Nov 23, 2016
127 posts
34 upvotes
it's not the end of the world. lots of starter jobs out there. put on a good outfit, good attitude, and show them you can do it!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
School bus drivers are in high demand. Don't go to uni no one will hire a 60 year old to do entry level jobs. There are second job programs that will allow you to upgrade your driving skills.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1057 posts
403 upvotes
Markham
bluenose2 wrote: i don't have a license nor do i like driving.
Apple retail if you have good customer service skills. They pay well (for retail anyways), benefits are great, and forward thinking work environment. They hire people from all walks of life, as long as you are presentable and don't look like a slob.
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
How many years of experience do you have in each industry! I'd recommend posting your resume in here for some value added feedback.

Questions:
- Do you see yourself going back into any of those industries? If so, would you do so at a higher level?
- What was the class of your most recent role and pay? Is finding 'similar' paying roles realistic if you are concentrating on retirement?
- When do you plan, or at least would like to retire?

Finances
- Do you have any debt?
- Do you have assets?
- Will you be eligible for EI given the nature of your termination?
- Do you have any other supplementary income?
- Is 400k savings held in a restricted account?
- Do you have disposable cash to get by without dipping into your savings?
Jun 10, 2008
523 posts
410 upvotes
Halton Hills
You should apply to Costco. I used to woke there. Money is good for what you're doing. They do hire all age ranges.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
Sociology1 wrote: How many years of experience do you have in each industry! I'd recommend posting your resume in here for some value added feedback.

Questions:
- Do you see yourself going back into any of those industries? If so, would you do so at a higher level?
- What was the class of your most recent role and pay? Is finding 'similar' paying roles realistic if you are concentrating on retirement?
- When do you plan, or at least would like to retire?

Finances
- Do you have any debt?
- Do you have assets?
- Will you be eligible for EI given the nature of your termination?
- Do you have any other supplementary income?
- Is 400k savings held in a restricted account?
- Do you have disposable cash to get by without dipping into your savings?
No debt
No asset
I have little disposable income before touching the 400k
Would like to retire at 65
Can't get job at higher level, don't have the education or skill
Still waiting to see if I qualify for ei
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2014
1294 posts
301 upvotes
Not at RFD
OP, you are providing very little information for people here to help you.

What is your goal in life? What motivates you to wake up every morning? What are your desires? In X years from now, when they make a speech about you at your funeral, what do you want them to say about you?

Your goals and aspirations in life may have nothing to do with your career, or it may have everything to do with your career. You said you have worked in entry level jobs for your entire life: so was your career not a priority?

Understand that there is a linear trade-off between hard work and rewards. Having higher education doesn't equate to success in life, but working hard will definitely get you closer to it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
Seems like oP just wants a job but is worried about age. Is that right op? Or do you want to make more money and climb?

Hospitality is a good industry for entry level/low barrier of entry type work.

You just need to have great customer service and professional behavior. Things youve probably obtained through years of entry level experience!

They pay well too... hotels downtown easily pay over $16/hr and go up more as theyre unionized.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
UrbanPoet wrote: Seems like oP just wants a job but is worried about age. Is that right op? Or do you want to make more money and climb?

Hospitality is a good industry for entry level/low barrier of entry type work.

You just need to have great customer service and professional behavior. Things youve probably obtained through years of entry level experience!

They pay well too... hotels downtown easily pay over $16/hr and go up more as theyre unionized.
yes, i'm more worried about age!! not looking to climb.. that will never happen
i would like a job with benefits and over $16 an hrs would do me fine
i still feel hotels would higher a younger candidate tho
i applied hospitality and got NO call back
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
thisischris wrote: You should apply to Costco. I used to woke there. Money is good for what you're doing. They do hire all age ranges.
they never hire and if they do it's nepotism!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
bluenose2 wrote: yes, i'm more worried about age!! not looking to climb.. that will never happen
i would like a job with benefits and over $16 an hrs would do me fine
i still feel hotels would higher a younger candidate tho
i applied hospitality and got NO call back
I know youre old... but keep your head up and keep trying!

Im lazy crazy and i still work/apply for jobs. I don't tell myself "im kinda lazy sometimes... i shouldnt work there :("

Plus you can do stuff to make you look younger. Updated clothing styles, hair cut, comb over, hair dye. And people look younger when they smile. Smiling is tiring bc i have a bitch face... so i hve this kind of light ez going :]

Maybe try making pizza. @ pizza pizza its always some old pakistani guy making pizza in the back.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1574 posts
476 upvotes
your mindset is so negative that I'm sure it comes through in many aspects of your life...including your job search.

Despite your 'lack' of education and skill set you are faaaar from dire consequences with that nice padding in savings. How you got to where you are at at that age and still don't know yourself is beyond me.

Your thoughts become things, if you KEEP thinking that you will lose jobs to younger people (ie, everyone) then guess what's going to happen....
Jan 10, 2017
235 posts
112 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote: No debt
No asset
I have little disposable income before touching the 400k
Would like to retire at 65
Can't get job at higher level, don't have the education or skill
Still waiting to see if I qualify for ei
'I can't' is a bad attitude; education and skills do not require a certificate to measure against. Would I be incorrect to assume that you believe your lack of 'education or skills' have been holding you back? Insecurity is pretty obvious here.

You have been employed for 56 years; were is your resume? I'd like to help, but you need to give the community something (your resume) that can be used to ensure the help is meaningful. Doesn't need to be perfect nor proofed; just context on your situation. There is too much ambiguity here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)