Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London

5700 XT is limited to 30fps when in full screen games

Not sure what's going on here. My desktop runs at 60hz
My games run at 60hz if I am windowed

But if I am playing full screen with VSYNC on I am getting 30fps. I can turn VSync off and get 60fps, but the tearing is awful (even though I have freesync enabled and it is turned on on my monitor)

This is my first AMD card in a long long time and I'm not exactly happy so far.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
There should be no tearing if its a Freesync display, and Freesync is enabled in both the monitor and AMD Radeon settings. Are you sure both functions are enabled? AMD > Display > Freesync = Enabled. Then check your monitor OSD for Freesync is on.

Are you connecting through display port? What Hz is your Freesync monitor 75Hz or 144Hz? The whole point of having a Freesync monitor + gpu is to have Vsync disabled. It should not be stuck at 30 FPS, and should be no tearing. What are the specs of the rest of your computer?

Did you get a reference blower card? Bad GPU possibly? How did you install the drivers? Did you use DDU Uninstaller before hand? We need more information. I never had these problems when I had RX 480 + 580 on my 144Hz Freesync display.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
It is a 60hz display

i7 6800k + x99a motherboard

If I turn Freesync off on my display, I can play at 60fps full screen

turning Freesync back on limits it to either 30fps with vsync enabled or horrific screen tearing if I have it disabled.

Also, if I disable freesync I can't use 10bit colour.

I'm using displayport as that is what is required for freesync afaik

I have an Asus Radeon RX 5700xt. I have no idea what a reference blower card is.

Installed the drivers by using the recommended settings from the installer off AMD's website.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
So changing my settings from RGB to YCBCR 4:4:4 has enabled the ability to use 60hz while full screen

There is still insane tearing though.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
So I still can't figure this out

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers

I'm still limited to 30hz while using VSYNC full screen if I have it using RGB

Disable vsync and it works at 60hz.. I read that you can only get 30fps in full screen using vsync, but that makes zeros sense since it runs at 60fps no problem without vsync on

It also makes 0 sense to me that I can play 60hz in windowed mode but as soon as I switch to full screen it drops to 30. It's not like the game is struggling to hit 60fps and so it's lowering to 30. I'm getting around 90fps right now in Gears 4
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Welp....I formatted my computer and in still getting 30fps when using vsync and still getting awful tearing if I don't
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Are you using display port or HDMI.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
toalan wrote: Are you using display port or HDMI.
He said he is using DP. Thats the only way Freesync will enable on that monitor. It also has some type of gaming modes you can change in the OSD. According to the LG website.
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM8 ... de-monitor

I can't figure it out. What games are you playing and are you playing at the monitors full screen resolution?

Like maxed out at 3440 x 1440 pixels? Maybe hardware isn't capable of that and you should turn settings down. Is it tearing or ghosting? Thats a 5ms IPS panel. I really don't know how to help or comment the [OP]. The whole point of having a Freesync card and Freesync monitor is to not use Vsync in games anymore, that was the general idea behind the concept.

I use the Viewsonic 2730 (27" 1440p 144Hz Freesync) https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/lcd/XG2730.php and I never had these issues when I had the RX 480 + 580 cards in Crossfire, then when I swapped to the 1080Ti and Nvidia released the Freesync drivers for the GPUs my monitor in Nvidia CP says "Freesync Compatible" and it works just fine here. So IDK how to help the [OP]. I never experienced any tearing issues he is describing.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
toalan wrote: Are you using display port or HDMI.
I have tried both. Both limit me to 30fps using vsync

I very much regret selling my 1080ti

I could accept it was a hardware limitation if I didn't far exceed 60fps without vsync

I am getting treating. The image tears across the entire vertical plane generally in an upward pattern. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow.

I chatted with Asus support and they told me to send the card in. I may just return it and buy a 2080
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
Viper98 wrote: I have tried both. Both limit me to 30fps using vsync

I very much regret selling my 1080ti

I could accept it was a hardware limitation if I didn't far exceed 60fps without vsync

I am getting treating. The image tears across the entire vertical plane generally in an upward pattern. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow.

I chatted with Asus support and they told me to send the card in. I may just return it and buy a 2080
Sorry to say but yea, that was a big mistake right there dude. Selling your 1080Ti for a 5700 XT when the 1080Ti is the superior GPU. You should have held onto it until gen 3 of Nvidia or AIB AMD cards at higher tier, like the upcoming 5800/5900 series which will support AMD's version of Ray Tracing (RTX).

I wanted to get rid of my crossfire setup that is why I parted with my RX 480/580 cards for a single 1080Ti gpu. I am not planning to rid this card for a couple generations at least, it does everything I need it to do, and is compatible with my freesync monitor at 144Hz.

You also probably have the crappy reference design which is one long board with that 1 blower fan on that card which is a piss poor design by AMD and I don't know why they keep using it. The dual and triple version fan cards that are overclocked should be out anytime soon.

Honestly, at this point if you got rid of your 1080Ti .... yea ... if you still have the option to fully return that card 100% ... get your money back and get either a 2070 Super or 2080. The performance will be comparable to that of the 1080Ti, just without the extra ram but you will have the RTX tech built in.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
heyyahblah wrote: Sorry to say but yea, that was a big mistake right there dude. Selling your 1080Ti for a 5700 XT when the 1080Ti is the superior GPU. You should have held onto it until gen 3 of Nvidia or AIB AMD cards at higher tier, like the upcoming 5800/5900 series which will support AMD's version of Ray Tracing (RTX).

I wanted to get rid of my crossfire setup that is why I parted with my RX 480/580 cards for a single 1080Ti gpu. I am not planning to rid this card for a couple generations at least, it does everything I need it to do, and is compatible with my freesync monitor at 144Hz.

You also probably have the crappy reference design which is one long board with that 1 blower fan on that card which is a piss poor design by AMD and I don't know why they keep using it. The dual and triple version fan cards that are overclocked should be out anytime soon.

Honestly, at this point if you got rid of your 1080Ti .... yea ... if you still have the option to fully return that card 100% ... get your money back and get either a 2070 Super or 2080. The performance will be comparable to that of the 1080Ti, just without the extra ram but you will have the RTX tech built in.
I mostly just wanted to get the same performance for less money

The 2070 super offers worse performance and will be like $350 more....but I may have to just Hite the bullet and buy it
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
Viper98 wrote: I mostly just wanted to get the same performance for less money

The 2070 super offers worse performance and will be like $350 more....but I may have to just Hite the bullet and buy it
I hear you ... everyone wants to save money, but honestly ... you were doing just fine with the 1080Ti. There was no real reason to get rid of it for a 5700 XT. You should have just sat on your hands and waited because the prices now are ridiculous. I managed to score my 1080Ti for a steal because the person that was selling wanted to upgrade to the 2080 right before the release date so I got it for a really good price, and in the end he ended up paying more for the vanilla 2080 and I took the 1080Ti off his hands. Seeing the prices now makes me stay away from the GPU sector. Even though my 1080Ti was used, I have had 0 issues since I bought it, August 2018.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Seems like it must be an issue between my monitor and my GPU

I hooked my computer up to my 4k oled and got 60fps using RGB 4:4:4 vsynced with no trouble at all

Took the same cable and hooked it up to my monitor and it is back to 30fps

Makes no sense to me
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
check all setting/options in y monitor ... google y monitor , maybe there are some problems with it ...
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
lubmar wrote: check all setting/options in y monitor ... google y monitor , maybe there are some problems with it ...
That's the thing, if it was something specifically with the monitor, it wouldn't have worked with my 1080ti
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Is there such thing as upgrading your monitor's firmware? I've always had pretty basic monitors, so with Freesync, it seems reasonable that the monitor might be able to be updated.

What cable are you using? If it's a DP cable, is it VESA certified? I always ask about DP cables, because really weird crap happens when you use full-featured DP cables instead of the VESA ones with the pin disabled.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Another update

I installed an rx580 in my computer and it works perfectly. 60fps vsync using the same Radeon software
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
Viper98 wrote: Another update

I installed an rx580 in my computer and it works perfectly. 60fps vsync using the same Radeon software
So the 5700 XT works fine with the TV but not with the PC monitor. The RX 580 works fine with both the TV and PC Monitor?
Really weird.

Get a 100% refund on the card if you can dude, and wait for the AIB cards to release, or go with something else. Seems like the card or monitor is acting up at this point. Hard to tell since you formatted the PC from scratch. This is all on Windows 10 right? And I know you are using UEFI because you have a i7-6800K CPU in there. Just in case for trails sake, which BIOS updates are you using for your motherboard? I see the last offical release was in 2017, but they have 2 BETA BIOS dated 2018 and 2019.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards ... Desk_BIOS/

Which one are you using? Not sure if it makes any difference. Could just be the GPU is defective. I really don't know anymore at this point.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)