• Sep 27th, 2015 10:31 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes

5th Gen Nissan Altima Sucks

Rented a 2014 Nissan Altima because that was the only car available for rental. Seriously, Altima sucks. There is a reason people consider Toyota and Honda over Nissan. Compare to my DD which is a 2014 Toyota Corolla, this 2014 Nissan Altima just sucks.

My first observation is the lack of:

- Touchscreen
- USB Port

Nissan Altima seats just plain sucks. Seats are just freaking terrible, flat and hard.

Nissan Altima's audio system/speakers just sucks. Compare to my Corolla's entune system, altima's audio system is just garbage

Once in motion, CVT transmission in Altima sucks compare to my Corolla.

Absolutely hate the front exterior view of 2014 Altima, it just looks hideous and ugly

Being a mid-size sedan, Altima is less spacious than Corolla in the rear.

When merging on highway, engine revs giving indication of what should be a neck snapping launch but in reality its more like 80's Hyundai speed. Based on car magazine this car should hit 60 mph in about 8 seconds which makes it faster than Corolla but for some reason it feels really sluggish due to it's annoying CVT rubber band effect and all those annoying engine noises.

5th gen Altima is more uninspiring to drive than my Corolla. It looks like Nissan has gotten lazy with the needed upgrades to keep it competitive with Honda and Toyota.

I don't know why so many people bother buying Nissan Altima. It just sucks and it's a really bad car for money.

Accord, Camry, Corolla are all FAR BETTER choices than Altima.

Don't know why would anyone pick Altima over Accord/Camry

Nissan's CVT really do suck.

I'm sure all Nissan owners are aware of it and if they are not, they better go and test drive, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Toyota Corolla to see the difference between their $hitty Nissan Altima and other cars in this class

As much as I hate it, I would have to say it's still better than VW's dirty diesel TDI
55 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
So you're saying that you don't like the altima?.....
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
You sure you didn't drive Matt Farrah's million mile lexus?
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
"Absolutely hate the front exterior view of 2014 Altima, it just looks hideous and ugly"

And you drive a corolla; cool cool. Thanks for the opinion.
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
Lol, and he drove probably the base Altima 2.5. Now tell him to drive the 3.5 SL or SR with the upgraded audio. Much better than the base one. I drive one as a daily driver and would never buy the 2.5 version.
Apr 2, 2006
144 posts
68 upvotes
I don't know. I'd take a dirty Audi A6 or A7 TDI over an Altima any day, regardless of trim, but that's because I'm a fanboi.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes
canadiantj wrote: So you're saying that you don't like the altima?.....
I don't think that's what he's saying; I think he's saying that he likes the Corolla.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1104 posts
352 upvotes
Lol you drive a corolla? C lai status
Feb 25, 2006
315 posts
22 upvotes
Many car reviewers dislike touchscreens and prefer plain old buttons. I've only had a chance to play with the Chrysler 200 'infotainment' system and I can see why. Pain in the rear and very slow to respond!
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
2014 Toyota Corolla S First Test
S for Slow, not Sport
Via Motortrend

The 2014 Corolla S' 0-60 mph time of 9.7 seconds would have put it behind all of those cars except the last-place Sentra, which also had a 9.7-second time. The new Corolla was, however, 0.1 second quicker than a 2011 Toyota Corolla we tested with the four-speed automatic and the same 132-hp engine. It's what happens below 60 mph that tells a more complete picture.

When entering a highway onramp, what the car does from a stop to 30-40 mph feeds most people's perception of a car's quickness. From 0-40 mph, the 2014 Corolla S' 5.3-second time is behind the 2011 Corolla (5.0 seconds), as well as everything in that five-car comparison, including the high-volume 2013 Honda Civic (4.6 seconds) and 2013 Nissan Sentra (5.1 seconds). The 2014 Corolla completed the quarter mile in 17.4 seconds at 81.8 mph, behind everything in the five-car comparison except the 2013 Sentra (17.4 seconds at 80.1 mph), and the 2011 Corolla (17.4 seconds at 80.0 mph).

"So what," you say. "Few Corolla drivers care much about acceleration." Fair enough, but 2014 Corolla drivers might eventually have to make a panic stop. As with most other compacts, disc brakes are available on higher-trim models but aren't standard across the line. With the 2014 Corolla S' 10.8-inch front disc and 10.2-inch rear disc brakes, the Toyota came to a halt from 60 mph in 135 feet. That's longer than the as-tested 2011 Corolla's 129-foot distance and all five cars in our Big Test, again including the high-volume Civic (119 feet) and Sentra (124 feet)

Also Via Mototrend
Nissan expects 90 percent of Altima buyers to opt for the I-4. Believe it or not, as-tested four-cylinder acceleration is a full second quicker from 0-60 mph: 7.4

Regardless, Unless you have drive a car that can hit 0-60mph in under 5.5, you have no right to speak about performance..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
*sigh

Another person using 0-60 time as a measuring stick ...
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
See it's best to save have your first Corolla until you are bit older. As once you hit that peak it's hard to settle for some lower car. The only thing left is if you can step up to a old Tercel. But usually that is reserved for royalty.

This is, was and always will be the peak of automotive.
[IMG]http://www.admiralmotors.com/chicago/19 ... 251764.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
And rentals almost universally have the snot driven out of them. Drive it like you stole it!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I can understand if OP was comparing it other models like the Camry and Accord but Corolla, my goodness. LOL

My father had one 8 years ago and it was one of the worst I've driven that I forced him to trade it in.

I get the interior doesn't have the latest technology but it all changed with the 2015 Murano, inside & out and the new Maxima got those changes as well that I was shocked how much I liked it. Lost interest on the Maxims since 1993-94.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
bembol wrote: I can understand if OP was comparing it other models like the Camry and Accord but Corolla, my goodness. LOL

My father had one 8 years ago and it was one of the worst I've driven that I forced him to trade it in.

I get the interior doesn't have the latest technology but it all changed with the 2015 Murano, inside & out and the new Maxima got those changes as well that I was shocked how much I liked it. Lost interest on the Maxims since 1993-94.
what.. Arent you a huge fan of the altima and own one yourself?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2087 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
You're comparing two awful cars, anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)