Tags:
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3930 upvotes
Toronto
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:18 pm
Earning $100,000 working 80 hours is not the same as earning $100,000 working 40 hours.

Earning $100,000 working desk job is not the same as earning $100,000 working Arctic outdoors.
amen.

had this conversation the other day.. .someone was telling me how the TTC is amazing cause you can easily make over 100k a year once you been there for a few years.. I LOLed in their face. Really I said? So easy to make $100K at the TTC?? sure, working split shifts, double over time, graveyard shifts, and basically every holiday, and weekend you can think of.!!!! wow PLEASE SIGN MY LIFE UP to be a brain dead bus driver for the rest of my life.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16457 posts
4168 upvotes
Toronto
Cost of living is so high. If you want to own a home that salary is not going to cut it.
Apr 14, 2017
819 posts
379 upvotes
DT Calgary
carmaster wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:49 pm
Cost of living is so high. If you want to own a home that salary is not going to cut it.
Except that the vast majority of Toronto home owners don't individually make 100k+.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16457 posts
4168 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:03 pm
Except that the vast majority of Toronto home owners don't individually make 100k+.
If you bought a few years ago then it was manageable when it was easier to borrow money and interest rates were lower.
Aug 16, 2008
872 posts
191 upvotes
Markham
The opinions are so well illustrated and divided in this thread that you can tell exactly who is making more or less than 100k lol.

People tend to hang out with those who are around the same social class, implying similar levels of income across their social circle. If I'm flipping burgers at Wendy's or selling furniture at York Dale, of course I'm going to think that the world is only made up of a certain demographic.

Toronto is a growing city, and with that comes income disparity, similar to SF, NY, HK. In a global career perspective the difference between 60k and 100k is really quite small.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8332 posts
968 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As unowned stated, people tend to hang around those of similar socio-economic backgrounds so if you're in a professional environment, chances are your circle is also people in professional environments (either through school or work) so the salaries you think you're surrounded with are reflective of that. I think the only common scenarios where people of different socio-economic classes mingle often is either childhood friends, extracurricular activities (ex: sports teams) or your family.

At the end of the day salary is but a number. When you factor in things like location, cost of living, family situation, taxes and a bunch of other things the value of a pure salary number as a comparison tool loses its meaning. People are better off figuring they're worth and what they need/want given their situation rather than get caught up with what X or Y is making 5 cities away.
Last edited by uber_shnitz on Jan 13th, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 14, 2017
819 posts
379 upvotes
DT Calgary
Regardless, making 100k+ is still quite the achievement, and most Canadians never make this much in their lives - including cities with outrageous real estate like Toronto and Vancouver.
Dec 20, 2018
931 posts
799 upvotes
spike1128 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:06 am
Businesses are moving away because Canadians are lazy and all about the cottage life. High energy cost. Congestion cost. Housing cost. High taxes. Lots of tax cheats. Lots of illigetimate foreign investments that also tax cheat.

Government tax us to do stupid things with our money like giving money to refugees etc.

No jobs for middle class meanings no spending. Rich class hoard cash and poor class no spending power.
Yet unemployment is at 40 year low, retail sales at all time high, sales/sqft is much higher here than in states . Energy costs are lower than in US major cities and we're averaging over 200k net FT jobs a year over last 3+ years

Middle class is stronger than ever here, ever go-to the malls? See how everyone needs a cuv in their driveways now? Luxury brands are the norm, tablets, phones, overseas trips etc.

Not sure how you can believe what you post with a straight face when all the actual statistics and metrics are total opposite

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/consumer-spending

Is this what hoarding cash and no money to spend looks like for consumer spending?

Go walk down the street and see how many people have $200 doorbell and pay monthly subscription! It's crazy how much disposable income people have yet some like you think it's opposite. We're you around back in the 80s/90s? Those were really tough times for "middle" class. And life today of a middle class is way better than any point in history
Apr 14, 2017
819 posts
379 upvotes
DT Calgary
Life is good if you are of the age where you have been able to profit off the increase in housing, the oil boom, etc. Most <30 year olds aren't as lucky. Mind you, get a degree in Software Eng or Comp Sci from a reputable program and you should be able to do quite well.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2026 posts
778 upvotes
Alberta
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:23 am
You see more 100k salary compare to maybe 15-20 years ago, but there is still a small portion of population.

When you go out and see all the people working at the Malls, at the restaurants, at the Gas stations. No one is making near 100k even the manager.

From Google Search:
What is a good average salary in Canada?
The average Good salary in Canada is $37,267 per year or $19.11 per hour.

No where near 100k.
The average is useless. I look at the Median, and the Median (as of 2016) was $57,000 AFTER TAX income for families or unattached individuals.
Sep 15, 2015
694 posts
593 upvotes
Abbotsford
The median is useless, as all the small business owners, and tax Dodgers, show the smallest income to the cra.
Average house hold income pretax on our street is easily $130k
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6603 posts
3760 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
FPrince wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:54 pm
I mean, if you are in the top tax bracket (250k+) then sure yeah that's decent but if you live in major cities like Vancouver or Toronto, it seems like everyone and their grandchildren are making 100k+
Wages in Vancouver are extremely low. I'm not sure where you get the idea Vancouver has good salaries.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6603 posts
3760 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
daivey wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:38 pm
wow PLEASE SIGN MY LIFE UP to be a brain dead bus driver for the rest of my life.
Is that comment really necessary?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3930 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:15 am
no i'm just being a dick.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1836 posts
303 upvotes
Burlington
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:15 am
If it helps, most of the transit operators who are interested should be able to move up to supervisor or manager roles after a few more years ($130k to $150k range) and maybe even more than that. He is right though that work/life balance can be touch for the first few years (longer if you stay in the role).