• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2013 10:37 am
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4856 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

$6/month +- savings with TekSavvy Internet Plans

In case you aren’t familiar, TekSavvy changed many of their internet plans in September 2012, some for the better, and some for the worse.

I was paying $30.95 for their Lite Cable 3 (3Mbps/300GB traffic) which is grandfathered and no longer offered.

According to their current prices I am able to get the same plan (under the new name of 'Essentials 3') for $24.95 or ‘upgrade’ to their Cable 6 plan (6Mbps/300GB traffic) for the same price. I opted for the faster plan for the same price, and was credited for the extra money I was paying from Sept-Feb.

If you are in my same position, take a look at your invoice, check out what they currently have (make note of the following plans ‘Starting From’ prices as a basis of comparison), and downgrade, upgrade, and/or get credited for the difference.

Here are their plans before the changes: http://www.teksavvy.com/2011-pricing-notice

Here are their current plans:
DSL: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl
Cable: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable

Cheers!
96 replies
Apr 1, 2004
692 posts
32 upvotes
for cable from teksavvy, depending on which area you are from they re-sell rogers or cogeco.
Also I heard that the price for "Cable 6" may increase in the near future, not sure how if it is true or not
Aug 3, 2006
653 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Why is Pro (16Mbps / 300GB bandwidth, $49.95) more expensive than Cable 28 (28Mbps / 300GB bandwidth, $46.95)?

(Edit) Answer: Pro is Cogeco vs. Cable is Rogers.
Jan 7, 2013
255 posts
12 upvotes
Kitsilano
I'm looking to switch my internet service provider from shaw to teksavvy (Probably subscribe to the Extreme Cable 25). For those with their service, how would you rate their reliability? Or experiences from previously using shaw?

Thanks
May 3, 2010
146 posts
106 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 1:48 pm
In case you aren’t familiar, TekSavvy changed many of their internet plans in September 2012, some for the better, and some for the worse.

I was paying $30.95 for their Lite Cable 3 (3Mbps/300GB traffic) which is grandfathered and no longer offered.

According to their current prices I am able to get the same plan (under the new name of 'Essentials 3') for $24.95 or ‘upgrade’ to their Cable 6 plan (6Mbps/300GB traffic) for the same price. I opted for the faster plan for the same price, and was credited for the extra money I was paying from Sept-Feb.

If you are in my same position, take a look at your invoice, check out what they currently have (make note of the following plans ‘Starting From’ prices as a basis of comparison), and downgrade, upgrade, and/or get credited for the difference.

Here are their plans before the changes: http://www.teksavvy.com/2011-pricing-notice

Here are their current plans:
DSL: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl
Cable: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable

Cheers!
How do I go about making this change though? Call and ask for an upgrade and credits?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4856 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tenshiryo wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 3:46 pm
How do I go about making this change though? Call and ask for an upgrade and credits?
Customer Support 1.877.779.1575
Aug 12, 2005
96 posts
17 upvotes
nnelly wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 2:19 pm
I'm looking to switch my internet service provider from shaw to teksavvy (Probably subscribe to the Extreme Cable 25). For those with their service, how would you rate their reliability? Or experiences from previously using shaw?

Thanks
Been with them for a few years now on the extreme package (in downtown Toronto) and I've found the service extremely reliable. And the savings makes it even better.

The DSLR board has lots of discussion if you want more info.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1215 posts
185 upvotes
Hm, looks like their rates and speeds have actually changes recently. I was going to sign up for the Cable 30 plan (30 down, 3 up) and now it's a 28/1 plan and only $5 a month cheaper.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
1809 posts
181 upvotes
Also I heard that the price for "Cable 6" may increase in the near future, not sure how if it is true or not
I'd doubt it as internet costs seem to be going down (plus increased speed). Besides you can make use of retentions for rogers or bell price increases rather than going with a substandard provider like TKS or Crapanac. It's more of a "trial" as there are many areas where Rogers is perfectly fine but people have had major issues with resellers. After all in most cases, you'll be stuck with the purchased modem and activation fees.
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
so i was using for 2 years
Extreme Cable Pro 24 300cap 49.95

now their price is 46.95$

so do i just call them and get 3$difference from sept-feb without upgrade??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4856 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
mytalk wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 4:03 pm
so i was using for 2 years
Extreme Cable Pro 24 300cap 49.95

now their price is 46.95$

so do i just call them and get 3$difference from sept-feb without upgrade??
You mean your Cable 24 no longer exists and you are paying the same amount as the Cable 28 plan?
That's similar to what happened to me in the OP and that's what I did. They transferred me to a manager and I received a credit for the difference on my next bill.
Banned
Jan 26, 2011
762 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
mworts wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 3:58 pm
Been with them for a few years now on the extreme package (in downtown Toronto) and I've found the service extremely reliable. And the savings makes it even better.

Yep. I rarely have any issues with TekSavvy, and whenever I do, it also affects Rogers, so I can't hold it against them.

+ No throttling, unlimited, and it's always fast (30+Mb/s)
WARNING: I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NON DEAL POSTERS. CHECK OUT MY RFD T-SHIRT. I AM THE DEAL MASTER.
Jan 7, 2013
255 posts
12 upvotes
Kitsilano
mworts wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'm located in Vancouver BC and have used shaw for the longest time. With their rates increasing almost monthly without notice, I'm looking to jump ship!
May 3, 2010
146 posts
106 upvotes
I could only changed my plan to the cheaper price, the guy won't give me the credit difference from sept to feb
× < >