$6/month +- savings with TekSavvy Internet Plans

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2013 10:37 am
Deal Addict
May 6, 2009
1286 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
Man, those jerks automatically dropped the price and gave me the speed boost months ago. THE NERVE. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7785 posts
816 upvotes
Toronto
i was always charged 46.95 for extreme, never heard of these 49.95 prices. Previous to the price increase it was 42.95 for me.
Mar 3, 2008
366 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
As much as I would love to go to TekSavvy for the large bandwidth... I much prefer faster speeds. I currently pay $55 for Rogers 45mbs down/4 up. 150 gb total. After using those speeds TekSavvy offerings seems so slow.

Of course if I had kids who gobbled up the internet every day, I would opt for 300GB plans with slower speed at TekSavvy.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1102 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
How do the people with tekksavy like the slower upload speeds? Are they very noticeable? And if I were to switch what is the smartest and cheapest way to go in terms if modem, I don't like that you have to buy your own, with limited warranty and can't be upgraded when the newer better comes out...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7785 posts
816 upvotes
Toronto
dtm252535 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 9:58 pm
How do the people with tekksavy like the slower upload speeds? Are they very noticeable? And if I were to switch what is the smartest and cheapest way to go in terms if modem, I don't like that you have to buy your own, with limited warranty and can't be upgraded when the newer better comes out...
Would prefer faster upload speeds which we should get for cable eventually when TekSavvy switches to Aggregated. I don't upload a lot so it doesn't affect me. As for modems, to be fair we aren't paying for modem rental. IMO these ISP's are only worth it if you want the larger caps otherwise getting a retention plan with rogers is probably still better in terms of reliability and speed. For people like me who use over 200gb a month, with rogers I'd easily max their cap and pay an additional 50$ for extra bandwidth. The savings from not paying overage charges and modem rental as well as the peace of mind of not having to worry about going over the cap itself is worth it.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4383 posts
5092 upvotes
Markham
Man, they should just make a speed/price grid so that I don't have to click into each service to see what each one offers. The naming convention is confusing enough.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1102 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
I already have a Rogers retention plan, 30% off whatever plan I choose. Right now I have the extreme package, 120gb usage. Definitely would like more usage, but don't need faster speeds than what I have with them now. Would tksvy still not be able to offer me comparable speeds for much less $?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7785 posts
816 upvotes
Toronto
dtm252535 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 10:35 pm
I already have a Rogers retention plan, 30% off whatever plan I choose. Right now I have the extreme package, 120gb usage. Definitely would like more usage, but don't need faster speeds than what I have with them now. Would tksvy still not be able to offer me comparable speeds for much less $?
try start.ca
Dec 15, 2006
278 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
I heard the 300G cable plan is actually unlimited, is that right?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1335 posts
441 upvotes
Kanata, ON
We're looking to switch to TekSavvy from Bell. I love the fact that on their DSL anything between 2am and 8am doesn't count toward your bandwidth. Does anyone know how long this has been going on for? Also, is there any indication if they will be taking this offer away?

We also want to get their home phone but we were told that Bell has put a sale stop on any Bell customers going to TekSavvy. I was told even if I cancel my Bell phone that I can't sign up with TekSavvy afterwards. Does anyone know of any way that I can get TekSavvy home phone? My other option is their TekTalk (VoIP), which by the time I pay the dry loop DSL fee for the internet, it will cost roughly the same as the home phone. I'd rather have the home phone for the reliability if the costs are going to be the same.

Any tips are appreciated on what we should do! Thanks!
Banned
Jan 26, 2011
762 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
It's pretty sad that Rogers and Bell fought for UBB, which ultimately forced Teksavvy to raise their prices. Now you see the Rogers thread where they're offering a pretty nice looking package with faster UL than the Teksavvy extreme package, and they're offering it for $45 w/ a guarantee of no price increases for 8 years.

They pretty much forced Teksavvy to pay a higher wholesale price, and then they priced this plan below what Teksavvy is even capable of offering. It almost seems like the perfect tactic to eliminate the competition. Once they eliminate Teksavvy, the price will go back up.
WARNING: I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NON DEAL POSTERS. CHECK OUT MY RFD T-SHIRT. I AM THE DEAL MASTER.
Banned
Jan 26, 2011
762 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
MarvinMartian wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 1:30 pm
We're looking to switch to TekSavvy from Bell. I love the fact that on their DSL anything between 2am and 8am doesn't count toward your bandwidth. Does anyone know how long this has been going on for? Also, is there any indication if they will be taking this offer away?

We also want to get their home phone but we were told that Bell has put a sale stop on any Bell customers going to TekSavvy. I was told even if I cancel my Bell phone that I can't sign up with TekSavvy afterwards. Does anyone know of any way that I can get TekSavvy home phone? My other option is their TekTalk (VoIP), which by the time I pay the dry loop DSL fee for the internet, it will cost roughly the same as the home phone. I'd rather have the home phone for the reliability if the costs are going to be the same.

Any tips are appreciated on what we should do! Thanks!
Why not switch to Teksavvy Cable internet and then get TekTalk? This way you won't have to pay for dry loop.
WARNING: I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NON DEAL POSTERS. CHECK OUT MY RFD T-SHIRT. I AM THE DEAL MASTER.
Jan 5, 2008
902 posts
108 upvotes
dtm252535 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 9:58 pm
I just starting using uploads and checked my Express 18 service (now called cable 18) and it is only 512kB's upload !! Yikes ! In my area the only other service is the Cable 28 which has 1Mbps upload.. still not great. I am paying 39.95 and 28 Cable is 7.00 more a month..... will poosibly upgrade or should I wait until they have aggregated service and increase upload speeds?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2639 posts
176 upvotes
jjzzbb wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 11:10 pm
Yes it's right. Teksavvy doesn't have the ability to track your usage (at least it's like that with the cable, no idea about DSL)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14809 posts
1489 upvotes
nnelly wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 7:19 pm
I'm looking to switch my internet service provider from shaw to teksavvy (Probably subscribe to the Extreme Cable 25). For those with their service, how would you rate their reliability? Or experiences from previously using shaw?
In comparison to Rogers... about 95% as reliable. There are some minor hiccups, but the fact you're not paying the incumbent, unlimited downloads, makes it worth it :)

Speed wise it's fine - I'm getting my 30 - 35 mbits as advertised.

jjzzbb wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 11:10 pm
For now - however, the recent CRTC decision to reject speed matching on disaggregated POIs means that Teksavvy will probably accelerate their plans to move to aggregated POIs. I think one of the "benefits" of aggregated POIs is the ability for the provider to monitor usage.

However, aggregated POIs won't be coming for another 4 - 6+ months...

In anycase, just pay for unlimited, it's not that much more, plus you're supporting a good company.
× < >