Automotive

6+ Passenger AWD Hybrid minivan, will it ever happen?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 12:04 pm
Mar 10, 2008
440 posts
27 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC

6+ Passenger AWD Hybrid minivan, will it ever happen?

I would like to replace my current vehicle a 2011 RAV4 base with a 6+ seater AWD hybrid, I see that Toyota have the new 2019 Prius AWD-e, which is close and of course they also have a the Highlander Hybrid. The only minivan I have seen is the Chrysler Pacifica but that is a PHEV, maybe I am missing something here or somebody else knows of a new vehicle being released soon?
131 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
wedge22 wrote: I would like to replace my current vehicle a 2011 RAV4 base with a 6+ seater AWD hybrid, I see that Toyota have the new 2019 Prius AWD-e, which is close and of course they also have a the Highlander Hybrid. The only minivan I have seen is the Chrysler Pacifica but that is a PHEV, maybe I am missing something here or somebody else knows of a new vehicle being released soon?
Unless you're offroading your minivan (or live in the boonies with unplowed roads), AWD is completely useless and wastes cargo space, which is why you don't see many of them. They've started offering AWD because people think they need AWD. Save the money and buy winter tires. My grandfather lives up north and drives as FWD Sienna year round with unplowed roads.
That said, I do like the idea of e-AWD, where the other wheels are independently driven electrically, mostly for performance reasons personally. It still takes up cargo space, but less without the transmission tunnel.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
If you really need AWD utility, then there's the Highlander Hybrid with seating for up to 8.

Highlander Hybrid
$36,870 starting msrp1
30/28 est. mpg2
The Highlander Hybrid fits 7 or 8 and offers an available Blu-ray DiscTM entertainment system for your rear-seat passengers.

https://www.toyota.com/highlanderhybrid/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
There isn't a market for an AWD minivan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
wedge22 wrote: I would like to replace my current vehicle a 2011 RAV4 base with a 6+ seater AWD hybrid, I see that Toyota have the new 2019 Prius AWD-e, which is close and of course they also have a the Highlander Hybrid. The only minivan I have seen is the Chrysler Pacifica but that is a PHEV, maybe I am missing something here or somebody else knows of a new vehicle being released soon?
Toyota is your (and my!) only hope in this regard. The Sienna is super old, there are fairly unsubstantiated rumours that they might be releasing a hybrid in the new generation later this year. But it's also entirely possible that they keep riding the old platform for a bit longer, or cut a minivan from their lineup.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
vkizzle wrote: There isn't a market for an AWD minivan.
You don't live in Western Canada
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
vkizzle wrote: There isn't a market for an AWD minivan.
In Canada? I think there is. It's just a small one relative to the scale that most automakers make product decisions on.

Minivans are a bigger piece (compared to US) of a smaller (Canadian) market.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Blubbs wrote: You don't live in Western Canada
Mike15 wrote: In Canada? I think there is. It's just a small one relative to the scale that most automakers make product decisions on.

Toyota has an AWD Sienna, do you see that trim flying off the shelf?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Mike15 wrote: In Canada? I think there is. It's just a small one relative to the scale that most automakers make product decisions on.

Yea, but what do you get with an AWD Sienna Hybrid that don't get with the AWD Highlander Hybrid? More space for 4x8 plywood? Sliding doors? Then you don't get the looks of an SUV that shows you spent more money, and *could* take it offroad but never do. /s
FYI, I would take a minivan over an SUV any day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
engineered wrote: Yea, but what do you get with an AWD Sienna Hybrid that don't get with the AWD Highlander Hybrid? More space for 4x8 plywood? Sliding doors? Then you don't get the looks of an SUV that shows you spent more money, and *could* take it offroad but never do. /s
FYI, I would take a minivan over an SUV any day.
I'd say the only distinguishing feature right now is the sliding doors, because otherwise all large crossovers (Highlander, Pilot, CX-9, Traverse, Flex, Atlas, etc.) are basically minivans.

The new Explorer will offer hybrid, AWD, a roomy 3rd row, space behind it, and room for 4x8 sheets, so the only thing missing is the doors.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Mike15 wrote: I'd say the only distinguishing feature right now is the sliding doors, because otherwise all large crossovers (Highlander, Pilot, CX-9, Traverse, Flex, Atlas, etc.) are basically minivans.

The new Explorer will offer hybrid, AWD, a roomy 3rd row, space behind it, and room for 4x8 sheets, so the only thing missing is the doors.
You just need $$$

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
UrbanPoet wrote: If they made suv’s with sliding doors (that actually look like suv’s) i think it would fly off the shelf.
It will cannibalize minivans?
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
engineered wrote: Unless you're offroading your minivan (or live in the boonies with unplowed roads), AWD is completely useless and wastes cargo space, which is why you don't see many of them. They've started offering AWD because people think they need AWD. Save the money and buy winter tires. My grandfather lives up north and drives as FWD Sienna year round with unplowed roads.
That said, I do like the idea of e-AWD, where the other wheels are independently driven electrically, mostly for performance reasons personally. It still takes up cargo space, but less without the transmission tunnel.
Why would it have to be one or the other? Maybe they want to have AWD and winter tires.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
vkizzle wrote: Toyota has an AWD Sienna, do you see that trim flying off the shelf?
Yes. Toyota has a 10 year old model that sells way better than the competitors' brand new designs. AWD is a huge reason for that.
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.30.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.30.58 PM.png

First is Jan 2019, second is Dec 2018.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: Yes. Toyota has a 10 year old model that sells way better than the competitors' brand new designs. AWD is a huge reason for that.

I don't see where is seperates the percentage which are AWD?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Blubbs wrote: Yes. Toyota has a 10 year old model that sells way better than the competitors' brand new designs. AWD is a huge reason for that.

Lol, I can assure you that those in the segment for minivans will not drop $50-$60K (AWD Limited being the highest trim) for one and will likely move on to an SUV.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Gutty96 wrote:
Why would it have to be one or the other? Maybe they want to have AWD and winter tires.
There's always some know it all on here that knows exactly what others want and need. Yet in many cases live in a little bubble of their own downtown.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Mike15 wrote: I'd say the only distinguishing feature right now is the sliding doors, because otherwise all large crossovers (Highlander, Pilot, CX-9, Traverse, Flex, Atlas, etc.) are basically minivans.

Oh, and people will pay much more to remove the sliding doors...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote: Why would it have to be one or the other? Maybe they want to have AWD and winter tires.
As I mentioned, reduced cargo capacity with AWD, plus worse mpg and higher cost.