Automotive

6 weeks on top of quoted wait time on a new vehicle, any compensation?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2015 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 23, 2011
535 posts
53 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Toolatecrew wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 10:43 am
Because they risk losing the sale.
There is no upside to being honest for the dealer.
Once you sign the agreement they will get the sale regardless of if it takes 30 days or 90 days.

Its unfortunately incumbent on the buyer to add their OWN WRITTEN requirement for delivery. Its 90 days by default but if they want to verbally promise 6 weeks then have them write on the contract Delivery to occur by XXX date (6 weeks out) failure to meet the date allows the buyer to void the agreement and have an immediate refund of any deposit.

Then the buyer has some power if they go past 6 weeks whether they want to wait or just go elsewhere.
I should have thought of that, but of course i didn't. In my line of work, if something is not documented then that means it's not done.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1083 posts
49 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Will they actually be able to deliver a 2015? The lead time takes it into a potential 2016 model?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3041 posts
571 upvotes
Waiting for the Toyota?? Is it new marketing bs??
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1816 posts
301 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Does their failure to deliver on time is a breach of contract? Yes. Does it entitle you to repudiate the contract? Maybe. Does it entitle you to damages? Unlikely, and likely very little. Browse your province's consumer protection act.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2011
535 posts
53 upvotes
WINNIPEG
romsan04 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 1:37 pm
Waiting for the Toyota?? Is it new marketing bs??
It's a trim they didn't have on site, so they he'd to order it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6504 posts
2417 upvotes
Canada
ottofly wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 11:01 pm
This is preposterous and you're right the dealer will lol. Nobody will sign off on that, all the delays are at the manufacturing level and is pretty much out of the dealers hands, especially on a Yaris that is built in France and has to cross an ocean to get here.
I've bought many cars from Japan over the years, it takes 10-14 days to cross the ocean.
Mar 7, 2011
59 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Have you asked to get out of this? You won't get an compensation. Did they include a vehicle number on your paperwork?

I've had this happen to me.. They told me it would take 2 weeks and they it changed to 8. I complained and they gave me my deposit back.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
raspeed wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:14 pm
I've bought many cars from Japan over the years, it takes 10-14 days to cross the ocean.
Yeah once it's loaded onto the ship it's 14 days. It can then sit at the port for days before it's loaded on a truck/train. If it arrived in 2 weeks that means they had a car in your trim already in transit. There is no way a factory order will take 14 days even if the car is produced in Ontario. I ordered a 98 Civic that came from Columbus Ohio and that took 5 weeks. There are hundreds of other dealers globally waiting for their thousands of stock from one plant that supplies a global car sold in many different markets. Not sure what kind of trim/colour combo OP wants of a common car like a Yaris that is not sitting on some lot in and around Winnipeg for immediate delivery, unless he wants a factory fresh car.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2011
535 posts
53 upvotes
WINNIPEG
ottofly wrote:
Sep 16th, 2015 8:11 am
Yeah once it's loaded onto the ship it's 14 days. It can then sit at the port for days before it's loaded on a truck/train. If it arrived in 2 weeks that means they had a car in your trim already in transit. There is no way a factory order will take 14 days even if the car is produced in Ontario. I ordered a 98 Civic that came from Columbus Ohio and that took 5 weeks. There are hundreds of other dealers globally waiting for their thousands of stock from one plant that supplies a global car sold in many different markets. Not sure what kind of trim/colour combo OP wants of a common car like a Yaris that is not sitting on some lot in and around Winnipeg for immediate delivery, unless he wants a factory fresh car.
We chose the White with SE trim. Only red or blue color with the SE trim is available in the city. Only one white and it has the basic trim.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7467 posts
1715 upvotes
Mississauga
You can ask them for some compensation but I doubt you will get any. Once the vehicle is factory ordered it is out of the dealers hands. The dealer has no control and is only giving you the best case on when the car will be delivered to the dealer. There could be many reasons for the delay, parts availability, problems at the plant, labor issue`s, transportation problems etc.
A lot of manufactures now are working on parts on demand which means parts for production that day arrive the night before or even that day. It saves them a ton of money sitting on parts in there plant waiting for production.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1057 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
If I recall the Toyota vehicle purchase agreement fine print correctly, if the car as described is undeliverable within the 90 days, written notification from the dealer to extend the agreement by another 5 days is an option. After then, either side can notify the other to cancel the agreement (deposit is returned). If there is a legitimate risk the car gets to that point, the buyer may have some leverage to negotiate a concession now. This is likely one of the last 2015s and the 2016s have to fill the lots shortly, which may be of relevance.
Intricated