Computers & Electronics

64gb SDXC cards showing up as 32gb

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2013 3:23 am
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
1857 posts

64gb SDXC cards showing up as 32gb

Recently I bought my first micro SDXC card to use with my tablet (I read that they accept SDXC cards formatted in FAT32). However, when I try to use it on my computer's external card reader I only see 27gb. No matter how I try to format it (FAT32, NTFS, ex-fat) , I can't see the other 32-ish gigabytes. I tried 3rd party SD formatting utilities but they don't seem to have any effect. Since it's not a problem with the OS (Windows 7, up to date) is it a problem with the card reader? Do I need a card reader that officially supports SDXC?
2 replies
Mar 27, 2012
688 posts
Where did you get it?

It could be a fake.

If not try to update your card reader (drivers). Or check the partition using partition wizard or something.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7936 posts
Fat32 will not support file sizes larger then 4.2gb, so I recommend you use ntfs or exfat.

Does your card reader support sdxc? Most do, but if it doesn't and is limited to sdhc specifications which is max 32gb, that might be your problem.

So here is a statement off of the compatibility table, it refers to internal card readers, but I would apply it to any reader that doesn't support sdxc.

NOTE: Internal card readers on laptops from 2008 and prior may NOT support SDXC cards. SDXC cards will work in SDHC compatible readers.

So if your reader isn't sdxc compatible, there's your answer.
× < >