Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tiger Direct

6ft DisplayPort cable for ATI Eyefinity monitor setups - $16.97 at TigerDirect

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2010 6:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1875 posts
576 upvotes

[Tiger Direct] 6ft DisplayPort cable for ATI Eyefinity monitor setups - $16.97 at TigerDirect

[IMG]http://images.tigerdirect.ca/skuimages/ ... dor-sp.jpg[/IMG]
$16.97 at TigerDirect

For those upgrading to a triple display ATI Eyefinity setup for their PC or anyone else who may need a DisplayPort cable, this 6ft one at TigerDirect is about the cheapest I've seen in store. These cables can be hard to find since they are new and not well stocked. This particular one is very, very well made.

For those planning to do the triple monitor Eyefinity thing, be aware that you must use the DisplayPort output on your ATI 5000 series video-card. So that means either using a monitor with a DP connection and a cable like this, or purchasing an active DP->DualLink DVI adapter which can be pricey. Passive adapters will not work.

By the way - for whatever in explicable reason - this cable comes in a very nice black wooden box (maybe why it is originally listed for $69.99.) I thought it was a description mistake on the website when I read that, but sure enough...

[IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7452/img ... 021403.jpg[/IMG]
8 replies
Oct 26, 2009
730 posts
119 upvotes
Asdf
You also need an active adapter to ensure it will work 100%. Some have reported these cheaper passive adapter to work with some cards and some systems but ymmv.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2006
1692 posts
82 upvotes
Chocolinx wrote: www.monoprice.com is cheaper even with the shipping.
I couldn't find the wooden box on monoprice, maybe you could point me to it? ;)

Now is the point where I ask - is Displayport ever going to catch on? DVI and HDMI have reached critical mass. If there is going to be a full scale swing to a new technology, it's going to need to offer much more than the current offering and displayport is not superior enough... Yes, I know Apple is on the displayport bandwagon, but that never helped adoption of Firewire.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1875 posts
576 upvotes
Chocolinx wrote: www.monoprice.com is cheaper even with the shipping.
...ahh... I was waiting for the inevitable first "...but MonoPrice is cheaper" reply.

Yes, it might be if you want to go the mail-order route. But as I mentioned in my OP, this is the cheapest I've seen "in store" for this type of cable - but please correct me if I am wrong about that.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1875 posts
576 upvotes
Shamb1es wrote: You also need an active adapter to ensure it will work 100%. Some have reported these cheaper passive adapter to work with some cards and some systems but ymmv.
I did mention this in my original post. But if you are referring to a DisplayPort cable like this one and an Eyefinity setup, you do not need an adapter if at least one of your monitors has a DisplayPort connection. Just dual-link DVI connections to Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 and a DisplayPort connection to Monitor 3.

The 23" monitor in that recent Dell deal for $169 has a DisplayPort connector.

The DisplayPort->DVI active adapters can be expensive and hard to find.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1875 posts
576 upvotes
Taft wrote: I couldn't find the wooden box on monoprice, maybe you could point me to it? ;)

Now is the point where I ask - is Displayport ever going to catch on? DVI and HDMI have reached critical mass. If there is going to be a full scale swing to a new technology, it's going to need to offer much more than the current offering and displayport is not superior enough... Yes, I know Apple is on the displayport bandwagon, but that never helped adoption of Firewire.
...And it's a damn nice box too... lemme'tell ya. :)

RE: DisplayPort as a standard - I honestly have no idea why it exists. And in light of new things like LightPeak, I can't see it making any huge in-roads.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2517 posts
896 upvotes
Civuck wrote: ...And it's a damn nice box too... lemme'tell ya. :)

RE: DisplayPort as a standard - I honestly have no idea why it exists. And in light of new things like LightPeak, I can't see it making any huge in-roads.
Ya I think its really dumb to have DP when HDMI is so common
Oct 19, 2004
919 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
To all those who have not taken to read up on the technical differences between DP, HDMI, and DVI, DP was introduced to the market to simultaneously allow for greater than 8-bit colour depth (i.e. 10-bit for near-future mainstream use), high resolutions, and high refresh rates. I am glad DP is here, because it completely dominates and replaces all of the other aforementioned connections, hence making the consumer's job much easier when deciding which format to use. However, it still needs to be more widely adopted by consumers, rather than just manufacturers (which is what is currently happening thanks to new enforcing technologies such as Eyefinity). :)

P.S. MonoPrice pwns, but their cables are only good for applications where build quality is completely insignificant. Otherwise, I highly recommend eBaying a good price on a well-known cable, such as Canare, Mogami, Switchcraft, etc. The difference is signifcant in certain applications, such as unbalanced signals.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)