• Dec 31st, 2009 11:44 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Another happy SpeakOut! user here. Also very fond of the fact its anonymous, no names tied to your phone..
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Apr 11, 2005
989 posts
62 upvotes
jadite wrote:
Oct 28th, 2009 9:40 am
How's the reception on the 7-11 network? Any idea, which provider is the backbone?? I am thinking of getting the 7-11 plan, I need a phone for about one year (going on mat leave, no more company phone) how quickly does 375 minutes go by?? Thanks.
well obviously that's totally a person question, nobody can tell you if it's enough for you.

Think of it this way, it's basically a minute a day.

I just use it to call my husband to pick me up from the bus stop, or when I'm running late, or when I'm at the grocery store and forgot the grocery list. Hence, one minute a day is enough for me. I keep the calls very to the point (no chatting) and have become pretty much an expert at ending my calls at about the 55 second mark (to avoid being charged a second minute).
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1733 posts
131 upvotes
SO is a great deal, esp for the occasional cell phone user and also that you only have to top up once a year. When a new phone is offered this is a GREAT deal.
FYI - I have posted most of the details of the deal in a previous thread and links to even earlier RFD threads [See Here]
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Sep 8, 2004
784 posts
24 upvotes
Billa-786 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 12:08 pm
just a reminder to everyone looking into pre-paid....if you only use your phone for calling 1 local number (home,gf,wife kinda thing...) you might want to look into telus prepaid's unlimited local 1 number calling for $7/mth.

Otherwise for rare calling and emergencies 7-11 is still the best deal.
Hey, great stuff - didn't know about that... Currently on Virgin but not happy that their prepaid rates have gone up and up, so the Telus deal will make the most sense for our usage.

thanks for the info!!

Bart
Jun 3, 2007
238 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I'm with Fido, on prepaid. Is there any way to carry my present phone number over to SO?

I like the SO deal, but don't want to lose contact with everyone who has my Fido phone number.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1050 posts
45 upvotes
denhammer wrote:
Oct 29th, 2009 1:36 pm
I'm with Fido, on prepaid. Is there any way to carry my present phone number over to SO?

I like the SO deal, but don't want to lose contact with everyone who has my Fido phone number.

Thanks.
Yes you can port your number with any carrier. You'll have to call 7/11 customer service to set it up.
Jun 3, 2007
238 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
i-rui wrote:
Oct 29th, 2009 1:50 pm
Yes you can port your number with any carrier. You'll have to call 7/11 customer service to set it up.
Thanks.

If they do include the Nokia 2720 flip phone, I would definitely be interested in switching over.
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
Has this deal been confirmed? I cannot see it on their website.

Thanks.
Dec 23, 2004
232 posts
16 upvotes
Nepean
I know that in the Ottawa area 7/11 stores have been sold to another chain. You can't get anymore airtime. Is this true across Ontario as well?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2375 posts
384 upvotes
student wrote:
Oct 29th, 2009 12:31 am
Darn - I'm down to my last 25 cents. To top-up with $75-100 or to wait for the free phone deal and buy $25. You can't currently transfer funds between speakout accounts right?
Sorry, not sure if I understand: are you currently a SpeakOut wireless customer?

I'm not even sure how the voucher works... you buy the voucher for $100... then you get a 'coupon' and pick a phone and get it for $75 off?

Or do you buy a phone AND the $100 voucher, and the $75 is given to you in AIRTIME?

If the latter, it implies it has to be a new SIM card being activated on a new "account", and as far as I know, yes, the funds are not transferrable.

If there's some kind of dollars off coupon or code you use at the store to save on the phone, then just use the voucher on your EXISTING SIM card, and sell your OLD phone with the NEW SIM on kijiji or RFD or what not.
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
The Story of Bottled Water - Bottled water is terrible and wasteful!
SDM Optimum points primer
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3116 posts
348 upvotes
If your phone is capable of VOIP (most modern smartphones support it), then you can use the Internet to dial out. Free wifi is all over the place, especially in dense areas. I'm currently on a VOIP "plan" that charges ~1.5c/minute. :) Minimum top-up is about $10euro+fees (total ~$13cad), but the first 90 days it's free calls in North America. After that, it's ~1.5/min.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
mjavor wrote:
Oct 28th, 2009 9:56 pm
Darn,

I'm with Petro and I could have used a new phone. =/
you still can.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1733 posts
131 upvotes
It works like this. You buy $100 voucher and you get a free phone or $75 off if the phone is more expensive (i.e. you pay the diff.). You don't get a coupon. If they don't have the particular phone that you want at that 7-11 store you will have to shop around at other stores. People will most likely post in this thread which stores have which phones. (The above assumes the promo for a free phone does start on Nov 16.)

Each phone comes with a SIM card and its own phone number. But, you can port your 'old' cell phone # for free by calling SO before you activate the phone.

When you add your $100 voucher you actually get $125 credit (currently) which give you the 20 cents per minute local calling. (Also the phone comes with $5 on the SIM card.)

You cannot transfer funds from another SO phone. Of course, you can get a new free phone and put your 'old' SO SIM in it and carry over any money that was on that SIM card.

See my previous post for more info on porting #'s, costs, airtime expiry etc
lorax1284 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 5:31 pm
Sorry, not sure if I understand: are you currently a SpeakOut wireless customer?

I'm not even sure how the voucher works... you buy the voucher for $100... then you get a 'coupon' and pick a phone and get it for $75 off?

Or do you buy a phone AND the $100 voucher, and the $75 is given to you in AIRTIME?

If the latter, it implies it has to be a new SIM card being activated on a new "account", and as far as I know, yes, the funds are not transferrable.

If there's some kind of dollars off coupon or code you use at the store to save on the phone, then just use the voucher on your EXISTING SIM card, and sell your OLD phone with the NEW SIM on kijiji or RFD or what not.
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
× < >