Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
7 Eleven

(Speakout) It's that time again... Free Sim + $25 bonus w/ $100 topup

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 11:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Not all 7-Eleven locations are willing to honor this promotion. Just bought a $100 voucher last week because I needed a nano sim for the Nokia Android phone. I wanted the sim immediately so walked into a local 7-Eleven asking about the promotion. The woman behind the counter looked completely clueless so she went and got the store manager. The guy came and said there was no such promotion. I showed him the promotion on my phone and he said it must be an online thing. I told him if he didn't want to honor the promotion that's fine. I could go to the next 7-Eleven which is only 3 minutes away to get it. He paused and said "they promise you the promotion?" I was like "Of course, I didn't make this up". He started looking at some screen behind the counter and said "Yeah, I see it now. You can have the free sim card". I wonder how many customers this guy had stiffed.
Aug 27, 2008
36 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
I just tried the same thing, going locally to a 7-11 and they wouldn't give me the free sim. They did say they would talk to their manager though...

They mentioned that because there was no code they could scan that they couldn't just give me the card, which I totally understand
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: The $1.25/month is just an extra account fee to make more profit, falsely labeled a "911 fee" to mislead the public into thinking it's some sort of government fee. It's a throwback to the bad old days of the "system access fee". This sort of deception really shouldn't be allowed. A few provinces do have a government 911 fee (not BC where I live), but it's much lower than this.

The $0.15 fee to send a text message is the same for Canada & US, but international costs $0.35. International text seldom works, so it's not like you would be using it often.
I wonder if we can go ahead and start mass complaints about the falsely labeled 911 fee. I mean they can obviously just change it's name and still charge it (like a monthly plan fee), but just for the principle of it.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1212 posts
581 upvotes
North York
This is amazing for my 12yr old who will be starting middle school. Making voice calls using WiFi data and texting using iMessage from home will eliminate the use of home phone. The rest balance and texting costs are for emergencies.

Thanks OP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
MrGLuong wrote: I just tried the same thing, going locally to a 7-11 and they wouldn't give me the free sim. They did say they would talk to their manager though...

They mentioned that because there was no code they could scan that they couldn't just give me the card, which I totally understand
That's why I called a couple of stores before going. These people are either not very well trained or they refuse you on purpose. If not because I threatened to go to a different store, the store manager wouldn't even look it up on their system.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3804 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
althetrainer wrote: That's why I called a couple of stores before going. These people are either not very well trained or they refuse you on purpose. If not because I threatened to go to a different store, the store manager wouldn't even look it up on their system.
Seroiusly, I think it comes down to training and whether or not the franchise owner bothered to tell the staff. I am assuming 7-11 informs their franchisees about upcoming promotions, but who knows.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
althetrainer wrote: Not all 7-Eleven locations are willing to honor this promotion. Just bought a $100 voucher last week because I needed a nano sim for the Nokia Android phone. I wanted the sim immediately so walked into a local 7-Eleven asking about the promotion. The woman behind the counter looked completely clueless so she went and got the store manager. The guy came and said there was no such promotion. I showed him the promotion on my phone and he said it must be an online thing. I told him if he didn't want to honor the promotion that's fine. I could go to the next 7-Eleven which is only 3 minutes away to get it. He paused and said "they promise you the promotion?" I was like "Of course, I didn't make this up". He started looking at some screen behind the counter and said "Yeah, I see it now. You can have the free sim card". I wonder how many customers this guy had stiffed.
Got my Sim at Yonge and college location, no problem whatsoever. The Bay St location didn't have stock or at least that's what they told me.

In regards to the standby or 911 fee... It's a fee which if you don't like, don't buy it.

There is no other prepaid service out there that you can get away with only paying $25 for a year of service availability. I believe in the older days, people used to have to pay $10 or $15 a month for "low usage plans".

We should be happy they give us $25 top up for one year extensions instead or $100 one year extensions like other providers.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: There is no other prepaid service out there that you can get away with only paying $25 for a year of service availability.
If my math is correct then after the 911 fee you are left with $10 worth of service per year, which is around 66 texts or 33 talk minutes (and I'm pretty sure they round up talk time to full minutes). If that's enough service for you per year then all power to you. Mind you, if you just need a phone to call 911 in an emergency then you don't even need a plan at all on your phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1567 posts
888 upvotes
Earth
For a backup or low usage phone this is fine. If there are no cheaper alternatives then I'll stick with this $125 top up whenever it comes up.
Telus $45 25GB, Unlimited talk/text Nationwide
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
pny128 wrote: If my math is correct then after the 911 fee you are left with $10 worth of service per year, which is around 66 texts or 33 talk minutes (and I'm pretty sure they round up talk time to full minutes). If that's enough service for you per year then all power to you. Mind you, if you just need a phone to call 911 in an emergency then you don't even need a plan at all on your phone.
For a kid who is given a phone just to communicate occasionally with a parent, 66 texts might be enough for those once in a while can you pick me up at the movies times. If the kid had access to WiFi, they can use WhatsApp or some other app at other times.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
gr8dlr wrote: Got my Sim at Yonge and college location, no problem whatsoever. The Bay St location didn't have stock or at least that's what they told me.

In regards to the standby or 911 fee... It's a fee which if you don't like, don't buy it.

There is no other prepaid service out there that you can get away with only paying $25 for a year of service availability. I believe in the older days, people used to have to pay $10 or $15 a month for "low usage plans".

We should be happy they give us $25 top up for one year extensions instead or $100 one year extensions like other providers.
No kidding. I used to pay $19 monthly for a Rogers 250 plan, that's 250 min a month. I had that on my flip phone many years ago. :lol:
Nov 21, 2007
560 posts
607 upvotes
Does anybody know where to find incoming and outgoing call details of 7/11 speakout phones? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
funky_monkey wrote: Does anybody know where to find incoming and outgoing call details of 7/11 speakout phones? Thanks!
Can you not see the call logs on your phone? I can see the phone number, time stamp and the duration of the call though I am using a LG phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
If you spend more than $8/m (27 minutes/month) with SO, you should consider to switch to Public Mobile prepaid plan

$10 for 50 CW minutes + 50 outgoing text + unlimited incoming text (PM 16 cents/minute vs SO 30 cents/minute)
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans ... talk50text
Less: $2/m off with autopay
Net payment = $8/m

- Until August 8, there is a $25 referral credit. The $25 credit will pay for 3 months service at $8/m.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/256239
- Add-on 200 CW + US minutes for $8 = 4 cents/minute - SO charges 30 cents/minute. PM add-ons does not expired until completely used. It will be carry forward until the 200 minutes used.
- If you use more than 27 minutes/m at SO, you should switch to PM.
- PM SIM card is $10 each - purchase from WM, London Drug (west) and WOW Mobile

Ask if you have any question
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Aug 27, 2008
36 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
althetrainer wrote: That's why I called a couple of stores before going. These people are either not very well trained or they refuse you on purpose. If not because I threatened to go to a different store, the store manager wouldn't even look it up on their system.
Thats a good idea! I'll do that
Feb 19, 2003
184 posts
2 upvotes
funky_monkey wrote: Does anybody know where to find incoming and outgoing call details of 7/11 speakout phones? Thanks!
Do you mean on the account, same question here?
Feb 6, 2016
675 posts
759 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
embguy wrote: If you spend more than $8/m (27 minutes/month) with SO, you should consider to switch to Public Mobile prepaid plan

$10 for 50 CW minutes + 50 outgoing text + unlimited incoming text (PM 16 cents/minute vs SO 30 cents/minute)
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans ... talk50text
Less: $2/m off with autopay
Net payment = $8/m

- Until August 8, there is a $25 referral credit. The $25 credit will pay for 3 months service at $8/m.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/256239
- Add-on 200 CW + US minutes for $8 = 4 cents/minute - SO charges 30 cents/minute. PM add-ons does not expired until completely used. It will be carry forward until the 200 minutes used.
- If you use more than 27 minutes/m at SO, you should switch to PM.
- PM SIM card is $10 each - purchase from WM, London Drug (west) and WOW Mobile

Ask if you have any question
You are correct ,ive had used 7-11 for a while but after 2 years i found 100+25 outdated strategy even i bought last month a 100 load voucher , now we can find with publicmobile or freedommobile luckymobile better cheap plans ,on internet i read about mobile.free.fr and in Canada people are getting even cheap plans from France with this site but how is work i dont know i checked the site but still confused how you can do that
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Not possible. One of the drawbacks of Speakout is that they provide no account detail or call history at all. All you can see is your remaining balance dropping.

You can find many questions about Speakout answered on the Speakout Unofficial Support site: https://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

such as this:

"15. How do I check my account history?

You cannot at the moment. It’s been “coming soon” for quite a while."
Nov 21, 2007
560 posts
607 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: Not possible. One of the drawbacks of Speakout is that they provide no account detail or call history at all. All you can see is your remaining balance dropping.

You can find many questions about Speakout answered on the Speakout Unofficial Support site: https://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

such as this:

"15. How do I check my account history?

You cannot at the moment. It’s been “coming soon” for quite a while."
Thanks for the information.
Nov 21, 2007
560 posts
607 upvotes
quincy wrote: Do you mean on the account, same question here?
Yes, I mean checking or printing out call history from the account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)