• Jul 20th, 2015 10:33 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 8, 2011
901 posts
665 upvotes
TORONTO

[Mobilicity] 7/11: SpeakOut Wireless SIM Card At Retail Stores $10

The SpeakOut Wireless SIM Card alone is finally available at 7/11 for $10, for those who have spare Rogers locked or unlocked GSM phones lying around.

I bought 3 and the cashier looked at me like I was scamming her, lol. Had to explain to her the benefits and then she bought one too :D

Here's a picture:

Not all locations have them, so call the store first to check. I had to hit a few places before I found tonnes at the College / Spadina store. I suspect some managers are either hiding them, or buying them all because the stores make much more profit if you're forced to buy their phones which include SIM.

SIM = $10, no airtime.

Minimum Voucher = $25, good for 365 days. ("Monthy 911 Fee" = $1.25)

$39.55 taxes in and you've got a 2nd phone line with 100 local minutes or 55 CA/US long distance minutes, free voicemail (to receive, check toll free from a landline or payphone to save airtime), free incoming texts, free caller ID, and don't need to worry about tops up for a full year in very low use scenarios. Popped the SIM into my unlocked iPhone 4, works awesome without data.

Sample Uses for only $25 voucher / year on the Rogers footprint and dumping the SIM in a 2nd unlocked phone:

- pair it with your unlimited Pay Before Wind/Mobilicity/Public Mobile plan so you can make emergency calls when you leave the GTA or hit rough service patches
- charge a second unlocked phone, power it off, and leave it in your glove compartment and you have a backup no matter where you drive; even after 1 year untouched you still have $10 which can be carried over to another year with new $25 voucher
- receive unlimited incoming text messages; use the phone like a pager
- for down on their luck folks, use it as a unlimited voice mail service for employment and housing; check your messages for free by calling the local and toll-free VM number from a payphone
- give a crappy phone to your aging relatives / young children so you can track them down in malls, amusement parks; 21st century 2-way radio
- change your area code for free in 10 minutes through customer service so you got cell hos in every area code
- give this number to sketchy people who ask for your digits at clubs haha
- drug dealers rejoice!
- white collar criminals rejoice!
- terrorists rejoice!
- spies can make clandestine phone calls, then throw their SIM/phone into the garbage, and walk away. LIKE A BOSS lol

(I'm just kidding about the last four btw.)

More Info:

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/
1180 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY
Good find OP. I have to check my local 7-11 to find out!!
For Sale in Calgary :
PS4 GAMES - NHL 16 + NBA LIVE 16 + Assassin's Creed Syndicate = $85
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
Just out of curiousity, can anyone explain how the web browsing works? If I buy a $25 voucher and decide to turn on browsing for a month at some point during the year (say to use google maps while traveling), will it just take $10 (plus tax) out of that $25 or do I need to pay for it on top of that? I was also thinking it'd be useful with a 3G tablet, just buy $150 worth of credit and I've got web browsing for a year.

Sorry for the dumb question, I tried reading through the speakoutwireless.ca thread on it, but 20 pages is a lot to dig through :confused:
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3260 posts
1928 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks OP.

I can confirm that this is available at the Dunsmuir and Seymour 7-11 Location in Downtown Vancouver.
Jun 27, 2010
66 posts
21 upvotes
Can you just purchase the $25 voucher then call SpeakOut to request a sim?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1412 posts
1342 upvotes
Can someone confirm that a SpeakOut SIM will work in a Chatr phone? I know they both use the Rogers network, so it should work without doing any unlocking, but I just want to be sure before I pick up a SpeakOut SIM card.

Is the phone number already pre-assigned to these SIM cards, or do we have any options in selecting the number? Thanks.
Aug 8, 2009
586 posts
46 upvotes
champdood wrote:
Aug 1st, 2011 7:30 pm
Just out of curiousity, can anyone explain how the web browsing works? If I buy a $25 voucher and decide to turn on browsing for a month at some point during the year (say to use google maps while traveling), will it just take $10 (plus tax) out of that $25 or do I need to pay for it on top of that? I was also thinking it'd be useful with a 3G tablet, just buy $150 worth of credit and I've got web browsing for a year.

Sorry for the dumb question, I tried reading through the speakoutwireless.ca thread on it, but 20 pages is a lot to dig through :confused:

You can activate and turn it off on a month to month basis AFAIK. And be careful - speakout's data isn't 3G, or the same kind of data you get with most companies nowadays. It's the old school WAP kind.

And if your SIM runs out, make sure you top it up right away. I don't know if this has changed, but SIMs with no balance left on them will become deactivated in x number of days.
Nov 1, 2007
50 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
If you use more than $50 of air time a year, you may be better off buying $50 air time and a Nokia 1661. The Nokia 1661 will only cost $19 when you buy $50 airtime and comes with a sim card.
Aug 16, 2003
592 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Has anyone seen these in Calgary yet? I called a 7-11 in town and the guy was pretty clueless.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
PitchyDawg wrote:
Aug 1st, 2011 6:20 pm
The SpeakOut Wireless SIM Card alone is finally available at 7/11 for $10, for those who have spare Rogers locked or unlocked GSM phones lying around.

I bought 3 and the cashier looked at me like I was scamming her, lol. Had to explain to her the benefits and then she bought one too :D

Here's a picture:

Not all locations have them, so call the store first to check. I had to hit a few places before I found tonnes at the College / Spadina store. I suspect some managers are either hiding them, or buying them all because the stores make much more profit if you're forced to buy their phones which include SIM.

SIM = $10, no airtime.

Minimum Voucher = $25, good for 365 days. ("Monthy 911 Fee" = $1.25)

$39.55 taxes in and you've got a 2nd phone line with 100 local minutes or 55 CA/US long distance minutes, free voicemail (to receive, check toll free from a landline or payphone to save airtime), free incoming texts, free caller ID, and don't need to worry about tops up for a full year in very low use scenarios. Popped the SIM into my unlocked iPhone 4, works awesome without data.

Sample Uses for only $25 voucher / year on the Rogers footprint and dumping the SIM in a 2nd unlocked phone:

- pair it with your unlimited Pay Before Wind/Mobilicity/Public Mobile plan so you can make emergency calls when you leave the GTA or hit rough service patches
- charge a second unlocked phone, power it off, and leave it in your glove compartment and you have a backup no matter where you drive; even after 1 year untouched you still have $15 which can be carried over to another year with new $25 voucher
- receive unlimited incoming text messages; use the phone like a pager
- for down on their luck folks, use it as a unlimited voice mail service for employment and housing; check your messages for free by calling the local and toll-free VM number from a payphone
- give a crappy phone to your aging relatives / young children so you can track them down in malls, amusement parks; 21st century 2-way radio
- change your area code for free in 10 minutes through customer service so you got cell hos in every area code
- give this number to sketchy people who ask for your digits at clubs haha
- drug dealers rejoice!
- white collar criminals rejoice!
- terrorists rejoice!
- spies can make clandestine phone calls, then throw their SIM/phone into the garbage, and walk away. LIKE A BOSS lol

(I'm just kidding about the last four btw.)

More Info:

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

iPhone 4?? it looks like a full size sim from the box pic.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
1996 posts
188 upvotes
North York
Thanks Op - just the thing I need.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5197 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
diananas wrote:
Aug 1st, 2011 8:11 pm
You can activate and turn it off on a month to month basis AFAIK. And be careful - speakout's data isn't 3G, or the same kind of data you get with most companies nowadays. It's the old school WAP kind.

Wrong, it is 3G. Been 3G since December 2010.
Aug 16, 2010
354 posts
16 upvotes
edgedamage wrote:
Aug 1st, 2011 8:22 pm

cut it to size
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
901 posts
665 upvotes
TORONTO
Can you just purchase the $25 voucher then call SpeakOut to request a sim?
I don't know what the policy is today, but as of yesterday you could call customer service. They take $25 from your voucher and mail you a SIM with $5 airtime. RIP OFF.
Is the phone number already pre-assigned to these SIM cards, or do we have any options in selecting the number? Thanks.
When I activated the SIM online, it only asked me for the activation code (on the package), my target phone IMEI, and then I had the option of choosing province and city I think. The area code and phone number is automatically assigned. Once the # was activated, I moved the SIM to another phone and it still worked. So you can actually activate the phone in areas where there aren't even 7/11 stores (top-up with the help of a friend who buys the vouchers in the future and provides you the code through email.) If you move to another city, call 611 and they will re-assign you a new number for free.
And if your SIM runs out, make sure you top it up right away. I don't know if this has changed, but SIMs with no balance left on them will become deactivated in x number of days.
*777 to check balance... I don't know the exact timeframes, but it's a few months before they deactivate I think.
If you use more than $50 of air time a year, you may be better off buying $50 air time and a Nokia 1661. The Nokia 1661 will only cost $19 when you buy $50 airtime and comes with a sim card.
True, but $39.55 vs $50 + $19 + tax = $77.97 is a difference. Plus if you're heading north of $50, lots of prepaid services have 365 day expiry on their $100 airtime credits.
I had the SIM recut.

Check out those two sites I posted, y'all... their FAQ and forum are informative, especially on the unofficial site.
× < >