Entrepreneurship & Small Business

7 employees, Payweb or Payment Evolution?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 1:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
26 posts
8 upvotes

7 employees, Payweb or Payment Evolution?

Hi all, we are a small business of 7-9 employees. We would like to oursource payroll and have narrowed it down to Payweb or Payment Evolution.

Any info on the costs, ease of use, customer service, and overall satisfaction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
17 replies
Oct 11, 2012
57 posts
39 upvotes
TORONTO
shepkraft wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:43 pm
Take a look at Knit - https://www.knitapps.com/
I had a quick demo which looked interesting. We plan on looking into it further.
agreed, I switched to Knit earlier this year. Saves me money because it's free and customer service is always good
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1116 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shepkraft wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:43 pm
Take a look at Knit - https://www.knitapps.com/
I had a quick demo which looked interesting. We plan on looking into it further.
dealhungry1 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:58 pm
agreed, I switched to Knit earlier this year. Saves me money because it's free and customer service is always good
Interesting.... Why would they do all this for free? Whats the catch?
Website seems nice .
I do not take regular salary like bi weekly or monthly but random bonus. My accountant does the calc of my net , CPP, Taxes and tell me. He also issues me T4 at the end of the year and files the T4 information return to CRA.
Can I use this free site to feed my custom data to this site to generate pay stub for me?
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
26 posts
8 upvotes
Is there a reason why? I had a consult with Payweb and the customer service seemed better than paymebt evolution. Also theres a start up fee of 50$ and $30 per pay period. That seems reasonable to me if the customer service is good. Just wondering if Im missing something.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2055 posts
325 upvotes
Calgary
I use QuickBooks payroll which you can subscribe to with QuickBooks. I think it's about $51 a month, and it's pretty simple to use to enter employee time on the timesheet. It prints out T4's and does ROE templates for you too. I looked at the online ones, and I worried about privacy and what happens if the company goes bankrupt or disappears. What happens to your database?
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
26 posts
8 upvotes
Thats a good point, I hadn't thought of that
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2055 posts
325 upvotes
Calgary
I hear that Ceridian is popular, but it is a little expensive. I guess it depends on how complicated your payroll is, but for hourly wages it's easy to enter the times and print out paystubs, cheques or do direct deposit even.
Play Hay Day!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9213 posts
316 upvotes
I'm a payroll expert, and am now using Payment Evolution exclusively for past few years. They are cheap, have good customer service, and an excellent interface. I am certified advanced user of QB, but their payroll is pretty terrible, even the head office guys in Mississauga admit it to me in person. They don't even have their own direct deposit functionality, which is just downright embarrassing for a company as large as Intuit. I used Payweb for a year with a client who set it up before I came around, and was very unimpressed with it, although their customer service is good. Ceridian and ADP, don't even consider, they are dinosaurs, still charging ridiculous fees.

For the OP, I am curious about your terminology of 'outsourcing' your payroll. With any of these, you still need someone to enter payroll and understand the laws around it. No payroll company guarantees to keep you compliant, they just provide software to make it easier.

For Payment Evolution, it would cost $22/month plus $.50 per direct deposit.

For anyone concerned about cloud based payroll companies going under and taking your data with them, this problem is easily solved by PDF'ing your payroll reports after every run. In the unlikely event a provider suddenly went dark, you could rebuild the year to date data.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
26 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks so much for the input. I guess by outsourcing what I really meant was to have an easy interface through which to input the hours so that the pay could be automatically calculated and appropriate forms completed, basically what payweb&payment evolution do.

You use payment evolution, but you said their payroll is terrible? I'm confused about that. What makes you like payment evolution so much that you still use it. Not to mention they have an annual fee of ~ $260, whereas payweb is a one time set up fee of $50 or so (apart from their ongoing fees per pay run, which are low enough that I wouldn't really compare them to begin with).

I guess I'm trying to figure out why payment evolution is a better option. Thanks again!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9213 posts
316 upvotes
I said QB payroll is terrible, Payment Evolution is excellent.

PayWeb is not a dedicated payroll service, it's just a side business of Nebs, which sells office supplies. Their interface is horrendously frustrating, unless they have changed it since last year when I used it.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2055 posts
325 upvotes
Calgary
Hmm I could have swore that I saw something about direct deposit for QuickBooks Payroll. I pay by cheques so I didn't look further into it. So this doesn't work?

http://quickbooks.intuit.ca/r/payroll/d ... s-payroll/

It seems to mention something about direct deposit on this page link. I'm no payroll expert, but if they don't have their own direct deposit functionality, why are they advertising that it has it? I don't get it.

https://quickbooks.intuit.ca/payroll-so ... -software/

Maybe my business is pretty simple, but I haven't had any problems with QB payroll. I enter employee times in the weekly record and do a bi-weekly payout. It's not the cheapest, but it seems to work fine for me plus it's fast. It takes me about 5 minutes to enter all the times and print things up to write to cheques. I think for the convenience, it's worth the money. I can do it even on the same day if I need to it's that easy.

I would be concerned about an online company having all of my employee's personal data. What happens if a hacker breaches their servers and gets their database? PDF backups are great, but what happens if their server goes down right before a payroll run? Do they guarantee 100% uptime? With QB payroll, it's on my computer, it does backups for me, and I have complete control over it.
Play Hay Day!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9213 posts
316 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote:
May 27th, 2017 3:40 am
Hmm I could have swore that I saw something about direct deposit for QuickBooks Payroll. I pay by cheques so I didn't look further into it. So this doesn't work?

http://quickbooks.intuit.ca/r/payroll/d ... s-payroll/

It seems to mention something about direct deposit on this page link. I'm no payroll expert, but if they don't have their own direct deposit functionality, why are they advertising that it has it? I don't get it.

https://quickbooks.intuit.ca/payroll-so ... -software/

Maybe my business is pretty simple, but I haven't had any problems with QB payroll. I enter employee times in the weekly record and do a bi-weekly payout. It's not the cheapest, but it seems to work fine for me plus it's fast. It takes me about 5 minutes to enter all the times and print things up to write to cheques. I think for the convenience, it's worth the money. I can do it even on the same day if I need to it's that easy.

I would be concerned about an online company having all of my employee's personal data. What happens if a hacker breaches their servers and gets their database? PDF backups are great, but what happens if their server goes down right before a payroll run? Do they guarantee 100% uptime? With QB payroll, it's on my computer, it does backups for me, and I have complete control over it.
That article isn't dated, but they mention 'beta', so maybe they have direct deposit now. About time, if so, they have been offering a payroll service for many years!

As for online payroll, QBO payroll is all online. If you're using Desktop, then it's on your own computer. You said QB is doing backups for you, in my experience, this usually means it is creating a backup file on the same computer, which is pointless, of course. For my Desktop clients, I store the QB file in a Dropbox folder, so it is on PC and in the cloud, in almost real time.

I really have no issue with cloud payroll or accounting. I bank online and do everything else online, so what's the difference? Absolute worst case scenario, I could rebuild accounting records from paper/pdf sources, but it has never happened in my 20 years in the business. So far.
May 28, 2017
4 posts
I was really unimpressed with QuickBooks payroll. I gave it a try maybe 8 months ago, signed up as a corporation and tried to enable payroll. It said I had to provide the owner details, and then it ran a credit check against myself and not the corporation. They said it's because even though I signed up as a corporation, the payroll sign up screen was showing me the fields for sole proprietorship, so because I entered my info, I got a credit check on me. They refused to remove it from Equifax so we did not move forward with them.

About 3 months ago I tried it again, made sure it was under corporation but we gave up and went to Payment Evolution. QuickBooks was insanely basic, and I don't believe you could run off cycle pay runs. There were a few other issues with it but it was just so basic and their customer service was beyond brutal that we just gave up.