None
[OP]
May 18, 2009
656 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga

78 MPG BMW 3series.....Wow!

Why can't we get these here?

BMW 320d - 78 mpg highway, 69 mpg combined!

Here's the story

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/Fir ... cs/242759/

Here are the specs

http://www.autocar.co.uk/SpecsPrices/Sp ... ics/58414/

In the UK it's priced at $27000 pounds on the road! . . . Including a 19% vat!

Where do I sign?

CCCPres
Paul Timoteo
President of Armada Data Corp
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2049 posts
590 upvotes
When it gets here they're gonna mark it up so bad that your gas savings won't cover the cost premium over a regular model.
[OP]
May 18, 2009
656 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
malecoke wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 12:42 am
When it gets here they're gonna mark it up so bad that your gas savings won't cover the cost premium over a regular model.

No kidding. In Europe gas and diesel versions of the same car are virtually the same price, where here they are typically $2,000-$5,000 more and there are very few choices.

Plus on a 3, the only diesel option is on the 335, in 4 door, auto and rear wheel drive only, then they wonder why they don't sell very well.

The 323i and 328xi are the best selling 3's, so why wouldn't they bring in equivalent diesel versions? Then they would see how well they sell.

Later, CCCPres
Paul Timoteo
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5689 posts
386 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
malecoke wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 12:42 am

Captailim --> Near Monopoly

FTFY :)
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10037 posts
1088 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 1:25 am
Thats 69mpg combined UK.... which is like 57MPG US. Still awesome though!

http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/320d

The real life results don't seem to be as good though :lol:

take out some of the outliers who had only 3 fill-ups

and BAM, it's also magical
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2010
1453 posts
113 upvotes
Years ago I've heard of the diesel hybrid techology that they are testing in Detroit in some courier trucks, still looking forward to that, not happening... Last time I went to Detroit auto show, hydrogen Honda car :) still not happening anytime soon, at least I can't find a hydrogen pump anywhere in GTA...

**** the government, I'll never buy a hybrid when it's only giving me VW TDI milage, however higher cost for the car plus maintance. What I am really waiting for, still not happening... Face it, if you can't find a super battery in the past 50 years it's not going to happen anytime soon :razz: So electric car and even worse the hybrid are just junks, and I am not paying for it, no fking way! :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
154 upvotes
Murica
defencerulez wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 2:12 am
Years ago I've heard of the diesel hybrid techology that they are testing in Detroit in some courier trucks, still looking forward to that, not happening... Last time I went to Detroit auto show, hydrogen Honda car :) still not happening anytime soon, at least I can't find a hydrogen pump anywhere in GTA...

**** the government, I'll never buy a hybrid when it's only giving me VW TDI milage, however higher cost for the car plus maintance. What I am really waiting for, still not happening... Face it, if you can't find a super battery in the past 50 years it's not going to happen anytime soon :razz: So electric car and even worse the hybrid are just junks, and I am not paying for it, no fking way! :facepalm:

agreed.
now if the chevy volt was a diesel generator, now that would have made car of the century.

if everyone used diesel, or even bio-diesel, imagine what the air will be like. diesel = great mileage, but bad pollution, not a good long term solution.

hydrogen power would be nice, only downside with everyone using that, means less sunny days, more rain. better than polluted air.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14976 posts
1769 upvotes
Oshawa
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 1:25 am
Thats 69mpg combined UK.... which is like 57MPG US. Still awesome though!

Don't see your point, since we live in Canada and our gallon is the same size as the UK.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
CCCPres wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 1:00 am
No kidding. In Europe gas and diesel versions of the same car are virtually the same price, where here they are typically $2,000-$5,000 more and there are very few choices.

Plus on a 3, the only diesel option is on the 335, in 4 door, auto and rear wheel drive only, then they wonder why they don't sell very well.

The 323i and 328xi are the best selling 3's, so why wouldn't they bring in equivalent diesel versions? Then they would see how well they sell.

Later, CCCPres

It's because BMW, VW, etc. see the North American market as one. So basically, because we live close to a bunch of hillbillies who love their guns and trucks we're being penalized while every second schmuck in Europe drives a diesel. Canada has always sold a lot more compacts than the US so it's only natural that we get the same options available to Europeans.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5265 posts
860 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 10:23 am
Don't see your point, since we live in Canada and our gallon is the same size as the UK.

Yes, our gallon (imperial gallon/4.54l) is the same size as the UK, but the mileage numbers are based on US gallons (3.78l) since it's US EPA mileage we're using/being quoted on the sticker.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that they won't/can't drive anything less than a v8/300bhp, etc, etc. Sort of like that stupid truck commercial about ordering engines from the kiddie menu. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to see a diesel from anyone besides VW and higher-end MB. At ~C$28k, this 320d would take over the mid-size market.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 10:23 am
rf134a wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 4:37 pm
Yes, our gallon (imperial gallon/4.54l) is the same size as the UK, but the mileage numbers are based on US gallons (3.78l) since it's US EPA mileage we're using/being quoted on the sticker.

Well a lot of people still use US MPG for comparison and we still have a lot of exposure to American advertising here in Canada. Would you rather buy a Corolla that gets 30mpg, 36mpg or, 7.8L/100 km.

Once I saw a car dealer in Ottawa advertising that a small car got 70km per gallon :facepalm:
[OP]
May 18, 2009
656 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
rf134a wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that they won't/can't drive anything less than a v8/300bhp, etc, etc. Sort of like that stupid truck commercial about ordering engines from the kiddie menu. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to see a diesel from anyone besides VW and higher-end MB. At ~C$28k, this 320d would take over the mid-size market.

+1
Paul Timoteo