Art and Photography

7D vs. D300s?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2010 8:54 am
Tags:
None

Poll: If you had to choose one, which DSLR would you choose?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes

7D vs. D300s?

Hey guys,

Thought it would be nice to have a little debate about the Canon 7D vs. the Nikon D300S. Definitely based on personal preference, but if you had to choose one of these cameras - which one would you choose and why? :D

I think Nikon is more popular in Asia, where as Canon is bigger in North America. Why is that anyways?
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
I own a 7D so where's the I already have one option?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
gotak wrote: I own a 7D so where's the I already have one option?
+1 I will own a D300s soon...when it comes. its been ordered :)
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
If I didn't own a dslr and was looking to get a camera. I'd go with the 7d.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Dec 11, 2009
300 posts
127 upvotes
Brampton
You can't lose either way!

I have a 7D and love it.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1139 posts
405 upvotes
got Nikon lenses and accessories already so I would go Nikon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Dude, asking this question is like asking Christianity or Islam?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
B0000rt wrote: Dude, asking this question is like asking Christianity or Islam?
... Really? Religion?

Its like, coke or pepsi.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Akraz wrote: ... Really? Religion?

Its like, coke or pepsi.
Yes, the religion of Nikon and the religion of L ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1022 posts
72 upvotes
I have a 7D and chose to remain with Canon based on my familiarity with their menus system and hardware. I think both cameras are great though and bias towards each may be related to how much you have invested into a particular brand already.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Between a 7D and D300s?

With a $250 difference, I would get the D300s and put the difference towards a better lens, tripod, or external flash. Getting any of those three will improve the end result...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
I would go to a camera store and try it out... get a feel for it!

Secondly, you have to consider the systems... body is nothing without the "other" stuff that you will need to get....

I like Nikon flash system (subjective) and has better 24-70mm f2.8 (this is a given)... I am sure canon has something way better than Nikon

Canon has 5D MKII which every portrait taker wants... D700~ well, I'll take a 5DMKII anyday... This is from a Nikon user (myself)!!

so it depends
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: Yes, the religion of Nikon and the religion of L ;)
L as in putting an L on your forehead? LOL
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
gotak wrote: L as in putting an L on your forehead? LOL
Them is fightin' words :)
Jun 27, 2009
27 posts
1 upvote
Kanata, ON
I chose 7D. I have Canon, so yeah, I'd want to keep my lenses.

I've tried a Nikon D40, and hated it. Going into picture review mode took like 5+ seconds to switch modes, and exiting it took another few seconds. If you have auto review on, the times are stupid. Like 2 seconds or 10. 2 is too short, and 10 is fairly long, which wouldn't be a problem, except attempting to change your aperture or shutter speed while the review is up starts scrolling through the images rather than changing your settings. My T1i works as I'd expect. I have no idea if this experience is generally true for other Nikon, or just the D40.

Nikon charges a fairly high price to get a RAW converter. Canon includes one, and updates it regularly. Canon's one can do tons of editing too, cropping, rotation, healing brush, white balance, tone curves, B&W conversion, noise reduction, CA removal.

Nikon decided to encrypt their RAW white balance data on some cameras. Adobe reverse engineered it to be able to process the RAWs. Nikon sued them for DMCA violation (breaking encryption on the white balance). Seemed pretty scummy to me. Who says Nikon is the best at processing their RAWs? Though I suppose if Adobe did a poor job, everyone would blame the camera, not having a free RAW converter to compare to.

Oh, and Nikon warranties are either Canada or US, not both, while Canon's are US/CAN, allowing for cross border shopping with a warranty.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
7jai wrote: I think Nikon is more popular in Asia, where as Canon is bigger in North America. Why is that anyways?

Haha, really?

When I was in HK I saw 5D2's all over the place but almost no Nikons.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11387 upvotes
7D. I can't live without that wheel on canon dslrs.. it's amazing.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land