• Mar 31st, 2017 4:48 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2014
66 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON

8 Month Year Old Golden Won't Eat His Usual Food

Hi all,

Last year my GF and I brought home a beautiful Golden Retriever. He's been eating his kibble since he was a pup until now but recently had an episode where he was vomiting for a few days (12 times one day). This was caused by a tennis ball he decided to rip apart and swallow at the park. Since the vomiting he has not gone back to eating his normal kibble - Multimenu Evolution (fish protein).

My question is how can I entice him to eat his kibble. I'd rather not switch to a different food as the multi-menu has served him well since he was a baby. Any suggestions?
11 replies
Jun 15, 2016
17 posts
I've mixed some no-salt chicken broth with water into my pug's food when she was refusing to eat, that got her licking the bowl at the end of the day! Sometimes I'll chop some raw carrots or boiled chicken breast in there with her kibble as a fancy treat. I haven't had any issues with her refusing to eat once it's in there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2891 posts
422 upvotes
OP - is it just your pup's kibble that he is refusing to eat? I ask just in case there is a small piece of the tennis ball in your pup's body that he did not vomit. Also there could be more at play here. When our dog was 1.5 years old there was a bad pup flu going around in Toronto. As soon as our Hoover refused to eat (and he ate/eats anything) we took him to the vet. Fortunately the flu had been going around for a few weeks so our vet knew exactly what it was. Getting him in early caused his symptoms to be less severe.

A friend has a Retriever who required surgery after swallowing a not very large pebble. You never know what might get caught and X-Rays do not always reveal the very smaller blockages.

But a vet visit may well be in order.

I hope everything works out for your pup. We feed our guy Fromm Four Star - we have for over 12 years. He does very well on it although turning 13 has caused other issues, food not being one of them.

It is also possible that your pup has just decided he does not like the kibble. It happens.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2014
66 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's just the kibble he won't eat. This tennis ball has become a big ordeal. We're pretty sure it's gone since he's pooping fine. I may try the chicken broth idea. On a positive note he ate about a 1/3 of a cup of kibble tonight (plus other food).
Jan 12, 2017
84 posts
41 upvotes
CardinalComb wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 5:59 pm
It's just the kibble he won't eat. This tennis ball has become a big ordeal. We're pretty sure it's gone since he's pooping fine. I may try the chicken broth idea. On a positive note he ate about a 1/3 of a cup of kibble tonight (plus other food).
I agree with Blanche. Get the dog checked out. It may be gone but there may be some scar tissue, inflammation or digestive distress that may impede eating.
make sure there is No Wynne in Ontario by June 2018
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4209 posts
679 upvotes
Mississauga
When my dog stopped eating at the age of five, it turned out he had gained a lot of pounds by then and was regulating himself to be slimmer.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2204 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Try this for a few days (and don't get emotional about it!):

Give your pup his food. Time limit, 3-5 min.
Lift it what he doesn't eat. Meal time is over.

I promise you, dogs won't starve themselves.

On another note, try adding bone broth, tuna juice, couple Tbsp of pure pumpkin pure ect mixed into the kibble.

I wouldn't switch foods either if I were you :)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2204 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 5:59 pm
Having a Doberman who was the KING of swallowing large balls/socks/underwear/bones/rocks ect I'll tell you that you'd know by now if that ball was still in there. There would be no drinking, eating, peeing/pooping.
Is he still interested in treats or high value food items?

Dogs often eat a lot less in the winter. They tend to slow down (metabolically) ... but with your young, active dog, id start with the times food - put it down and lift .. after a couple of days, he'll start eating ;)
Jul 4, 2015
732 posts
157 upvotes
We buy wet food on a regular basis, and mix it in with the dry food. It's much more enjoyable for our dog and easier for us. Might want to look into giving it a try. a can lasts us a week so we're not exactly breaking the bank either.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4531 posts
1098 upvotes
Space
Rice and bread for a day or so and try to reintroduce the dog food gradually. He might just have an upset stomach. Vomiting 12 times a day is a bit concerning though. If he doesn't get better within 2-3 days, I'd take the dog in to get checked out.
Jul 5, 2004
21894 posts
1871 upvotes
Just switch his food if that's what he wants. What worked once won't always work forever. I have to regularly switch my dogs food because they stop eating if I don't.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Banned
Feb 28, 2017
5 posts
QYtiffL wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 2:33 pm
I've mixed some no-salt chicken broth with water into my pug's food when she was refusing to eat, that got her licking the bowl at the end of the day! Sometimes I'll chop some raw carrots or boiled chicken breast in there with her kibble as a fancy treat. I haven't had any issues with her refusing to eat once it's in there.
mix some food is good way
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel