Off Topic

Locked: 8 year's later scammer adds me to Facebook. - Possible options or just walk away?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2012 11:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17197 posts
2067 upvotes
Langley
wszeto28 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 4:18 pm
I think I'm missing something here.

Why would this person add you to Facebook? Is he a complete stranger off of ebay?
He said they were talking on msn. If you give fb your email password, it can chk your email contacts list. Scammer probably did that and inadvertantly added his victim.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14433 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 1:14 pm
Become his friend and bang his gf/wife/sister/mom/grandmother.

Then post the pictures on his facebook.
That's a terrific plan.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3744 posts
149 upvotes
Barrie
Accept the request and post a few questions where everyone he knows can see. You wont get anything out of it but he might lose some respect from his family/friends.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
262 upvotes
Kingston
Until he deletes the comment and blocks you.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
203 upvotes
hdave wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 4:22 pm
Don't know why all of these sheep are telling you to let it go.

Add him, scan his profile for anything/everything and jot it all down in a MS Word file (the more info the better)
Limit your profile visibility to him.
Let you friends know about this.

Demand $500 from him, or you'll go to the cops.
Even if he gives it to you (most likely won't,) go to the cops.

Post on his facebook wall that he's a scammer and the story.
Send messages to lots of his friends with the story and details and facts (whatever you can include without giving away too much of your own info)

He messed with you, you shouldn't just let it go or else everyone will just mess with you.

That was 8 years ago.

8 years ago some dude was a prick to me in school bullying me around thinknig he was a bad ***** . Does that mean I should hold a grudge and attack him now?
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3744 posts
149 upvotes
Barrie
starboy869 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 5:40 pm
Until he deletes the comment and blocks you.
Obviously but there isnt much else you can legally do to the person though.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2960 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
Find out where he lives. Im in vancouver. If anything, ill do $500 of damage to his property for you with a note letting him know why its happened, but not enough to incriminate anybody. It will be a lesson well tought. I too was scammed $1300 from a guy in Florida about 8 years ago when I was young and dumb. I don't tolerate scammers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1202 upvotes
aGincourt
Add him on Facebook
Find out where he lives
Spray paint his car, put herbicides on his lawn in the shape of a male organ, throw a brick through his window (s)
Wait a week
Send a letter in the mail saying "Thanks for sending those Sharp phones, I finally got them! Look forward to doing business again soon!"

PS. Make the letter's return address your local McDonalds restaurant.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14433 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
Swswswish wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:26 am
Add him on Facebook
Find out where he lives
Spray paint his car, put herbicides on his lawn in the shape of a male organ, throw a brick through his window (s)
Wait a week
Send a letter in the mail saying "Thanks for sending those Sharp phones, I finally got them! Look forward to doing business again soon!"

PS. Make the letter's return address your local McDonalds restaurant.
Boss.
Oct 20, 2010
433 posts
103 upvotes
Rookies.

Revenge Protips:

1) Proportionality. Burning down his house won't get you your $1000 back, and it is grossly over proportionate to the initial crime committed. 8 years ago, no less.

2) Time. Trolling him, taking down info, posting things on facebook all require your time. Its a form of sweat equity that doesn't pay off in monetary terms.

3) Referencing the phones. You're inviting retaliation. They will not see it as an eye for an eye - they'll see it as someone messing with them, and, much like you, respond in kind. One week from now or another 8 years, you'll have something coming.

This reminds me of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, where Will goes back to Philly and confronts the bully who beat him up from all those years ago only to find out he has moved on with his life and isn't the same person who punked him back in the day. Will feels robbed. He tries to instigate conflict and only highlights his own huge ego and lack of character.

But hey, if you feel compelled to exact sweet, glorious, street justice, don't be an internet idiot about it. And wear a balaclava.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13753 posts
1291 upvotes
^ Didn't Carlton hide in a garbage can?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6229 posts
1380 upvotes
I love Carlton!
Banned
Jul 18, 2012
111 posts
1 upvote
A story of Arabian Nights. :D
May 1, 2010
242 posts
2 upvotes
Omg I love this story.. Can you keep us updated, I want to know where he lives. You should also post his Facebook info so we can all stalk him and do a mass online intrusion if nothing ends up happening