88℅ of manufacturing job loss since 2000 due to automation and technology

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 9:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2012
703 posts
48 upvotes
MB

Automation Will Take 40% Of Canada's Jobs, Liberals' Economy Czar Warns.

Automation Will Take 40% Of Canada's Jobs, Liberals' Economy Czar Warns
Huffington Post Canada - 12h ago
OTTAWA - The head of the government's economic growth advisory council says governments need to find better ways to confront income inequality that risks becoming deeper as technology makes some jobs irrelevant.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
88 replies
[OP]
Jun 15, 2012
703 posts
48 upvotes
MB
The report said the top five occupations — in terms of number of people employed in them — facing a high risk of automation are:

Retail salesperson.
Administrative assistant.
Food counter attendant.
Cashier.
Transport truck driver.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automat ... -1.3636253
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1019 posts
284 upvotes
New York City
That's only automation. Let's not forget about offshoring jobs and/or competition from immigrants that will worker harder for less pay.

On the bright side, RFD Hot Deals will flourish since this will translate in lower prices which feeds our buy buy buy mentality.
Jun 14, 2015
90 posts
23 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
We'll adapt accordingly.

Look at the development of new technology in the workplace since 1900 that has been designed to do work that was previously done by humans.

I think McKinsey's point about offshoring jobs and/or immigrant workers undercutting the market will pose a larger threat in the long run.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4645 posts
333 upvotes
In other words, low skilled labors need to educate themselves and move to new fields, instead of hoping any policy can bring their job back.

It also beg the question, should we have a tax overhaul to make sure automations pay the same amount of taxes as regular workers.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4913 posts
990 upvotes
GTA
ukrainiandude wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 8:15 am
The report said the top five occupations — in terms of number of people employed in them — facing a high risk of automation are:

Retail salesperson.
Administrative assistant.
Food counter attendant.
Cashier.
Transport truck driver.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automat ... -1.3636253
Surprised the financial advisors and realtors didn't make the list, but I guess they could be included under the "Retail salesperson" category. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3554 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:30 am
Surprised the financial advisors and realtors didn't make the list, but I guess they could be included under the "Retail salesperson" category. :)
I don't think those 2 are replaced by "automation"...

Less financial advisors because of online brokerage people can use on their own I supposed? Not "automation" strictly speaking.
Realtors? Are there actually less realtors? I think ppl can get RE info much easier online these days... but majority of transactions still involved realtors, no?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4645 posts
333 upvotes
izzyzz wrote:
They need a lot of soft skills which robots still can't do. Yes, a robot can show you a house or give you a number, but it's hard for them play with your psyche and pressure you from buying/selling a house or financial instruments. High skill sales is actually the safest job. In other words, robots don't know how to lie well. They probably won't replace politicians any time soon either.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6141 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 8:43 am
That's only automation. Let's not forget about offshoring jobs and/or competition from immigrants that will worker harder for less pay. ...
Competition from immigrants has never been linked to loss of employment. In fact, the opposite is the truth: immigration stimulates an economy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7850 posts
743 upvotes
Not entirely surprising. The issue is GrandPike said, most of the people who's jobs are lost are ill equipped to transition as automation takes over.

And yes, "assisted" via computer is the first step towards automation and it does eliminate jobs in and of itself.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2016
144 posts
7 upvotes
In fact immigrants brings new technology
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 8:43 am
That's only automation. Let's not forget about offshoring jobs and/or competition from immigrants that will worker harder for less pay.

On the bright side, RFD Hot Deals will flourish since this will translate in lower prices which feeds our buy buy buy mentality.
Last edited by uwbuchanan on Feb 8th, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1938 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks like my job is secure, no need to worry.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9187 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
Gone are the days when you could come to this country as a refugee or immigrant, get a job at a factory and buy a home or two or three worth millions later on.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2012
703 posts
48 upvotes
MB
izzyzz wrote:
Will your job go extinct? Find out how precarious your profession is
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e30434394/
- Warren Buffett