88℅ of manufacturing job loss since 2000 due to automation and technology

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 9:01 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26501 posts
1591 upvotes
Winnipeg
how has this changed since the industrial age? weren't we always using machines to reduce human labor?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18677 posts
2194 upvotes
Poormond Hill
divx wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 2:56 am
how has this changed since the industrial age? weren't we always using machines to reduce human labor?
Yes, but now and going forward, machines are making those machines. What was once the domain of humans, now belongs to them.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18677 posts
2194 upvotes
Poormond Hill
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 7:48 pm
A universal basic income will become necessary because of all the jobs that will be lost to automation in the coming years, says the founder and CEO of Tesla Motors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/13 ... 26890.html
Or use Bill Gates idea, Tax the robots.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13095 posts
631 upvotes
Not sure why everyone is surprised by the reduction in manufacturing jobs. 25 years ago when I was in HS, part of the history/economics curriculum focused on the evolution of the Canadian and US (and England amongst others) economies away from manufacturing to a service focused economy. That is where we are today. Any yes services can be banking, retail, thought based roles, communications....
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1088 posts
244 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 5:15 am
Or use Bill Gates idea, Tax the robots.
Hmm interesting... but what money will the robots use to pay their taxes?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18677 posts
2194 upvotes
Poormond Hill
notfromqc wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 9:58 am
Hmm interesting... but what money will the robots use to pay their taxes?
The robots get paid by the company that operates them and like humans, only get paid for their shift.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4548 posts
349 upvotes
Scarborough
outsourcing is already happening anywhere and everywhere where the companies can get away with it........businesses only care about profits.
Globalization, and besides, those 3rd world countries are HUGE markets for these global companies.

Canada is very small (population-wise). = Small market
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13247 posts
1152 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:52 pm
Automation Will Take 40% Of Canada's Jobs, Liberals' Economy Czar Warns
Huffington Post Canada - 12h ago
OTTAWA - The head of the government's economic growth advisory council says governments need to find better ways to confront income inequality that risks becoming deeper as technology makes some jobs irrelevant.
I'm actually proud of our country for having this conversation. Look at the United States; their political discourse fails to even acknowledge income inequality as a result of automation. You can't even have that discussion because in the US, jobs are used a rhetorical device to persuade people to vote against their economic interests. They count them like they are buttons or bottle caps. You can't deconstruct their value of a 'job', because that will ruin the illusion that's hiding the truth, which is that jobs come about by necessity, and not because we collect them and count them and keep other countries from having them.

Every job I've worked at in my professional career has had the singular goal of reducing the amount of work it takes to complete a task. In fact, this is what many of us do. We work on creating processes and devices that eliminate the amount of energy it takes to get things done. What do you think the end result of this will be, and if eliminating work is the goal, why the hell are we still counting jobs?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1869 posts
84 upvotes
Automate bullshit jobs so people will have more to time develop skills that they really, really want to. The main issue is the income inequality and I think advance automation has the potential to take care of this problem for the people who are affected.
Last edited by Dumbbelldore on Feb 18th, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2236 posts
270 upvotes
Scarborough
automation is only one step away from artificial intelligence. When that happens there will be REAL widespread job loss in every sector, doctors, engineers, architects, businessmen, researchers, scientists etc etc. Better to have the legislation down now when its only at automation. I am fairly confident that full blown AI is only 20-25 years away.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13247 posts
1152 upvotes
I was thinking about this concept today, and on a lark I typed it into Google. Lo and behold, the first video that pops up is Mr. Bill Gates talking about this exact issue.

To me this makes perfect sense. While I realize that profits that the robot owners make are subjected to tax, the revenue that is lost comes from the employees that would have been taxed on the work that is completed... and when you think about it, income tax is simply a redistribution of the gains generated by work being done. So if the work is still being done, and nobody is being taxed, society simply loses that revenue. It goes into the pockets of the robot owners.

There are much wider implications to this, but this does seem to make sense. We should be taxing the gains made from work, not something as tenuous as a person's income.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1869 posts
84 upvotes
I think it's a sensible transition into the new technological era.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4840 posts
959 upvotes
GTA
Good. And if they refuse, deport!! :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2838 posts
495 upvotes
Yes, they should at double the amount we mere humans were paying.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1088 posts
244 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 12:29 pm
automation is only one step away from artificial intelligence. When that happens there will be REAL widespread job loss in every sector, doctors, engineers, architects, businessmen, researchers, scientists etc etc. Better to have the legislation down now when its only at automation. I am fairly confident that full blown AI is only 20-25 years away.
Judgment day will soon be upon us
Only John Connor can save us now
*cue scary sounding percussion*