Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix

8x8 pressure treated. Where to buy?

Anyone know where I can find 8x8 pressure treated lumber around the hamilton GTA area. And what's the cost for an 8 footer?
43 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
A lumber store? Big Box store?
Cost? Depends on the store, the stock and the type of pressure treatment.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
Pete_Coach wrote: A lumber store? Big Box store?
Cost? Depends on the store, the stock and the type of pressure treatment.
I have never seen 8x8 at a big box store.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
I've never seen 8x8 anywhere. What do you need it for?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
That's a big piece of wood what are you supporting on it? A tank?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
Get 4 2x8 and lag them together, likely the best option
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Depending on your area and if railways are being dug up, these are the same size as the timbers on railroad tracks. Not to go dig them out yourself, but if CN is digging up tracks, maybe you can call and ask them if you can buy or even just take some
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey wrote: Depending on your area and if railways are being dug up, these are the same size as the timbers on railroad tracks. Not to go dig them out yourself, but if CN is digging up tracks, maybe you can call and ask them if you can buy or even just take some
Most of them are oil soaked. But ya, I need one as well. Time to go hunting this weekend!
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Railroad ties are usually 6x8.

ANyways what are you building that you need a 8x8 PT??? Can't a 6x6 work?

Check kijiji seems a few floating in GTA
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
I'm putting up a pergola and will be using them as my pillars. I want my pillars to have that beefy look
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Home Hardware lists 8x8...probably have to order in. I did a job in Barrie and Trans Can stocked them.

6x6 looks beefy to me ;)
Apr 8, 2009
315 posts
70 upvotes
vr_nguyen wrote: Anyone know where I can find 8x8 pressure treated lumber around the hamilton GTA area. And what's the cost for an 8 footer?

have you actually seen a 8x8 piece of lumber before?
they are BIG monsters.
you will have difficulty lifting up a piece thats 8 feet long with 2 people___heavy, man.

Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
al_the_great wrote: have you actually seen a 8x8 piece of lumber before?
they are BIG monsters.
you will have difficulty lifting up a piece thats 8 feet long with 2 people___heavy, man.
Im sure the OP is aware, maybe he is getting a bunch of people.

Pieces of wood like that were common practice growing up. Is hard manual labour foreign to many?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1372 posts
585 upvotes
vr_nguyen wrote: I'm putting up a pergola and will be using them as my pillars. I want my pillars to have that beefy look
couldn't this "look" be accomplished by surrounding your 4x4 post (or however much you need structurally) with 1x8 boards? you could put some trim pieces at top, middle, and bottom to attach the outer boards to. probably much cheaper too.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1372 posts
585 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Im sure the OP is aware, maybe he is getting a bunch of people.
why bother putting in more assumptions
Spidey wrote: Pieces of wood like that were common practice growing up. Is hard manual labour foreign to many?
No, but impracticality is.

Items for Sale:
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
lingenfelter7 wrote: why bother putting in more assumptions

No, but impracticality is.
What will hold up to the wind better, your design or a solid beefy 8 x 8.

I think the 8 x 8 would, alot more. OP ptobably wants a look and something that will stand up to wind. Dont see that as impractical. Some people use 6 x 6;s over 4 x 4s for decks, impractical, or just making it better?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1372 posts
585 upvotes
Spidey wrote: What will hold up to the wind better, your design or a solid beefy 8 x 8.

I think the 8 x 8 would, alot more. OP ptobably wants a look and something that will stand up to wind. Dont see that as impractical. Some people use 6 x 6;s over 4 x 4s for decks, impractical, or just making it better?
just as much a 10x10 would more than an 8x8, and so on...drawing the line on what's overkill is what's important. What we don't have from OP and nor did you ask is the span of the pergola that is planned. A properly secured post mounted in a concrete base for the load and span of structure will not budge (we aren't talking hurricane winds are we?). Surrounding a thinner post to make it look beefier is an option if OP wants beefier look but is not structurally required - ever heard of mitred corners? tapcon screws to frame everything securely will also benefit. Thanks for your uninformed response though spidey

Items for Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
lingenfelter7 wrote: Surrounding a thinner post to make it look beefier is an option if OP wants beefier look but is not structurally required - ever heard of mitred corners? tapcon screws to frame everything securely will also benefit. Thanks for your uninformed response though spidey
Yeah, mitered trim weathers great!

Tapcons are masonry screws.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
lingenfelter7 wrote: just as much a 10x10 would more than an 8x8, and so on...drawing the line on what's overkill is what's important. What we don't have from OP and nor did you ask is the span of the pergola that is planned. A properly secured post mounted in a concrete base for the load and span of structure will not budge (we aren't talking hurricane winds are we?). Surrounding a thinner post to make it look beefier is an option if OP wants beefier look but is not structurally required - ever heard of mitred corners? tapcon screws to frame everything securely will also benefit. Thanks for your uninformed response though spidey
Oh sorry, didnt realize your opinions were more right then mine. Sounds like your design would require a lot more upkeep.

Whats considered hurricane winds. Ive seen Gazebos with the steel posts into concrete blown over down here..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)