• Aug 2nd, 2005 11:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 5, 2003
479 posts
Scarborough

'91 nissan 240sx

I have an op to get a 240sx, i dunno why but ive always liked the car. It seems to be in excellent shape and only has 140k on it. If I could get it for 4000cdn is that a good deal? its loaded with ac and its an auto.

what do you think?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1618 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Well first off, good choice of car. Me and my brother each have one (S13 & S14). They are definetly nice cars, and if you are into it, there's a lot a lot that can be done to it. Umm not sure why you are opting for the auto, I'd reccomend the manual tranny, as you'd probably have a lot more fun.

But anyways, nuff of my personal opinion. $4000 seems about right for that car. But there are a few key things that you might have a look at. With a car that old, the first thing you should check for is the rust. I'm assuming you are looking at the hatchback, so the first place to look is there and the trunk. The undercarriage and the strut towers are other places that come to mind. THat's all that really comes to mind. If you want more info go check out SON240SX or NEO240SX. You'll find all the answers to your questions there.
Oct 12, 2002
386 posts
2 upvotes
yes, try those forums! and $4000 canadian for `91 i think is really expensive, even though those cars are limited, you gotta remember its still a car and cars depreciate in value not appreciate.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1842 posts
32 upvotes
i've seen cars appreciate... all those classical cars... limited edition exotics... ae86's...

anyway, about the 240. they are good cars... i was actually looking at a 91 myself last year. but then you realize you're looking at a car that's about 15years old...

sometimes, low mileage just means a lot of city driving was done...

as for the price... er.. compared to what i saw last year.. is a tad bit much
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6833 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty low mileage for a 91 and considering the type of car it is most likely would have been driven by a younger driver who would be less consevative on mileage so mileage is suspect unless all records and general conditon of the car disproves this..

Also as the above poster stated, rust is indeed something to look out for on these vehicles.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2677 posts
230 upvotes
One of the best things to do is look up your car on autotrader.ca and see how much it is going for. That should be a good place to start off. Then you can start bargaining for a better price. Be sure to check for the usual rust and other common things.

If you can, I recommend you run a carfax on the car you are interested in purchasing. 240's are alot of fun and if you grab a nice one im sure you'll have a blast and there are tons of aftermarket parts that await you. Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
first of all, is it the notchback version? if so, then this car is more of a "find" then the hatchback.

also the standard is better than the auto.

I believe the 91 had 155 hp increased from 140 hp. still a rwd, which makes it an awesome car around corners.

for 4K, it better be in excellent shape.
Feb 22, 2005
139 posts
i hope youre not planning to supe this up. there's nothing worse than putting money into a car that won't perform.

learn how to drive standard; theres no such thing as an 'automatic sportscar'.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2677 posts
230 upvotes
tarek wrote:i hope youre not planning to supe this up. there's nothing worse than putting money into a car that won't perform.

Your kidding right? No such thing as an automatic sportscar? That couldn't be further from the truth and just look at corvettes (those LS1 engines will eat u up), albiet manual transmission cars will perform better than automatics if shifted properly but don't say that there is no such thing as an automatic sportscar.

I've been in many FAST automatics and they pull like theres no tommorow.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1789 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
tarek wrote:i hope youre not planning to supe this up. there's nothing worse than putting money into a car that won't perform.

I guess someone has never heard of the new SLK AMG with 7 speed AUTOMATIC!!!

Or maybe the M3 SMG CLS
[OP]
Aug 5, 2003
479 posts
Scarborough
Its not that big a deal it being an auto vs manual, at least on this car. Either way it wont win any races and i dont know if im gonna bother with an engine swap...this has only gotta tide me over for a yr or 2. A manual would be great for practice but at the end of the day its not gonna be raced at all. My other choice was a camaro...which i almost bought...but at over 2x the cost...id rather save that cash for a new mustang...or an 07 camaro :twisted:

besides...at the track, autos are a very popular choice with a shift kit....as fast if not faster than manuals....and more consistant too...but thats a whole nother can-o-worms...

thanks all for the inputs!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
tarek wrote: theres no such thing as an 'automatic sportscar'.
:confused:

most high end sports cars are, unfortunately auto, but the perform so well in auto, it doesn't really matter anymore. And half of them have some sort of quasi manual gear shifting anyways.

as for the non high end sports cars, then the qouted statement may make sense.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4255 upvotes
imo source out a manual tranny version if u can. 4k seems about right, with all this drifting and initial d tax on cars like these