Expired Hot Deals

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] 98c Domain Registration / Transfer at NameCheap.com June 4 only

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2013 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Jun 19, 2010
918 posts
210 upvotes
Riverview

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] 98c Domain Registration / Transfer at NameCheap.com June 4 only

More offers from Mountain Equipment Co-op
Borrowed from SD...

A very good deal if you have a domain expiring... Better than paying $10+ to GoDaddy or elsewhere for renewal.

Linky: https://www.namecheap.com/deals/20000-r ... -2013.aspx

Update: now live, but you may have had to tweet the deal as they had to access my Twitter account prior to issuing my exclusive code. FYI, the transfer completed within an hour.
In your pants!
15 replies
Jan 10, 2006
822 posts
47 upvotes
Should be noted this is only for .com/.net/.org. No .ca but still a great promo!
Heatware
100% BST Feedback
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3140 posts
664 upvotes
I'll come back June 3rd.

Thank you
Jan 31, 2011
830 posts
676 upvotes
Ontario
I don't think you can renew a domain name if it's with Namecheap already. And this price is NOT reoccurring, you'll have to either let it expire next year, or pay the regular price.
May 25, 2005
360 posts
91 upvotes
Look, namecheap is doing the deal at below cost. They are hoping at minimum you keep renewing the domain name with them for a long time but really they are hoping you buy some of their other services because there isn't really much money in the domain name business without the add on products. If you do not buy the privacy or hosting stuff they may not break even on renewals for years.

Wholesale costs are:
$7.45 .org
$5.11 .net
$7.85 .com
Add $0.25 to all of these for the ICANN fee.
Also even though they probably get the very best rates from enom there is some kind of markup to use them as a reseller. So figure about $0.50 per domain goes to enom.

If you only want the basic domain name registration and you want to keep renewing it at rock bottom prices you will need to watch for a deal to transfer it away to another registrar. If you keep flipping your domain back and forth between namecheap and godaddy you can usually hit a deal that allows for a cheap below cost transfer. Usually it's very hard to find these deals that are good for .ca domains.

For reference the wholesale cost for .ca domains is $8.50 per year from CIRA.
Aug 20, 2012
850 posts
31 upvotes
queball wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2013 8:53 pm
Look, namecheap is doing the deal at below cost. They are hoping at minimum you keep renewing the domain name with them for a long time but really they are hoping you buy some of their other services because there isn't really much money in the domain name business without the add on products. If you do not buy the privacy or hosting stuff they may not break even on renewals for years.

Wholesale costs are:
$7.45 .org
$5.11 .net
$7.85 .com
Add $0.25 to all of these for the ICANN fee.
Also even though they probably get the very best rates from enom there is some kind of markup to use them as a reseller. So figure about $0.50 per domain goes to enom.

If you only want the basic domain name registration and you want to keep renewing it at rock bottom prices you will need to watch for a deal to transfer it away to another registrar. If you keep flipping your domain back and forth between namecheap and godaddy you can usually hit a deal that allows for a cheap below cost transfer. Usually it's very hard to find these deals that are good for .ca domains.

For reference the wholesale cost for .ca domains is $8.50 per year from CIRA.
Wow, thanks good info. How do we get access to wholesale pricing? Whats the usual minimum?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1215 upvotes
Halifax
netbounty wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2013 9:30 pm
How do we get access to wholesale pricing?
You become an official domain registrar.

These are the prices set by ICANN (sometimes with help of the US government) that domain registrars have to pay for every domain they register or renew.
Jan 19, 2005
301 posts
34 upvotes
Coupon is good for one domain only. If you have multiple domains and don't want them spread across multiple registrars, this isn't the deal for you.
/bw
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15332 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
blackwind wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2013 12:09 am
Coupon is good for one domain only. If you have multiple domains and don't want them spread across multiple registrars, this isn't the deal for you.
I'm sure you can easily open multiple accounts?
Selling Feng Shui Crane Coin (See Avatar) - $80 - PM!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
3520 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
This deal is live now. You had to re-tweet to get the coupon, just bought my 98 cent domain with WhoisGuard comes out to $1.16 USD after the ICCAN fee, excellent price. Keep in mind this is price is only for new domain registrations or transfers, not renewals.
Mar 19, 2008
134 posts
18 upvotes
Just bought a domain. for $1.16 cannot complain. Who wouldnt want yournamehereisaboss.com?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4298 posts
513 upvotes
awesome time to grab a next domain
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2010
918 posts
210 upvotes
Riverview
Now live, but you may have had to tweet the deal as they had to access my Twitter account prior to issuing my exclusive code. FYI, the transfer completed within an hour.
In your pants!
Feb 7, 2006
111 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I didn't retweet their promo before June 3rd 11:59pm. Can I still get this deal today? TIA.
× < >