Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1810 posts
336 upvotes
Vancouver
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 1:57 pm
So they changed the policy?
No, the first time I messed them, they mentioned "our policy is we don't give out unlock codes".

But then I messaged again and referenced the YouTube video and asked for it to be escalated to CEO for consideration on a "case-by-case" basis. Outlined some of the issues of why I can't stay with Mobilicity. And they were kind enough to hook me up.

I tried a few paid websites but no one could get code remotely for Samsung C414Y. The other websites wanted $40 for the code, where I only paid $40 for the phone - so obviously that wasn't an option either.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1993 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
What's the link to the video?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1810 posts
336 upvotes
Vancouver
geotr wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 9:08 pm
What's the link to the video?
Here's the post on howardforums.com which explains the details of Mobilicity "case-by-case basis": http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... st14707364

And the YouTube video... "Fast forward to 45:36 to see the question and answer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kiKajfFQ_w#!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3975 posts
245 upvotes
Funny, Z10 comes factory unlocked from Mobilicity.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11366 posts
2065 upvotes
Toronto
Asking them is YMMV. I asked and got a BS email response about how it may cause features on my phone to stop working. I am not going to beg them to save a few bucks. They generally sell unsubsidized hardware and they still want to play hardball with SIM locking phones. It is this kind of attitude towards customers that has put them on the brink of insolvency.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1810 posts
336 upvotes
Vancouver
will888 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2013 10:55 pm
Asking them is YMMV. I asked and got a BS email response about how it may cause features on my phone to stop working. I am not going to beg them to save a few bucks. They generally sell unsubsidized hardware and they still want to play hardball with SIM locking phones. It is this kind of attitude towards customers that has put them on the brink of insolvency.
The problem in my case was that I was trying to get unlock code for the cheap Samsung flip-phone. No one was selling the unlock code for that, except some websites which asked for $30! I finally found a website to do it for $8.00, but the dude failed at generating a code, so he refunded me. So in the end, Mobilicity was the only one capable of giving me the proper code for the phone.

I got that initial email response too. I just followed up asking them to escalate the claim and to have a manager review it on a "case-by-case" basis, based on the statements of the CEO, that if there is a legitimate reason they will supply me with an unlock code. The reason in my case being that in our basement apartment we were "roaming" and didn't get coverage. And my wife had a $10 credit on her phone, but it got used up completely because she was "roaming" in our home.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11366 posts
2065 upvotes
Toronto
mofesto wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 10:12 am
The problem in my case was that I was trying to get unlock code for the cheap Samsung flip-phone. No one was selling the unlock code for that, except some websites which asked for $30! I finally found a website to do it for $8.00, but the dude failed at generating a code, so he refunded me. So in the end, Mobilicity was the only one capable of giving me the proper code for the phone.

I got that initial email response too. I just followed up asking them to escalate the claim and to have a manager review it on a "case-by-case" basis, based on the statements of the CEO, that if there is a legitimate reason they will supply me with an unlock code. The reason in my case being that in our basement apartment we were "roaming" and didn't get coverage. And my wife had a $10 credit on her phone, but it got used up completely because she was "roaming" in our home.
I had a legit reason too. I paid for the device outright, been with them for 2 years, want the option to use it on other carriers, like T-Mo. I don't appreciate receiving lies from the front line staff. It is evident that they were told to lie by management. Luckily I found someone on eBay that unlocked the phone for $2.75. Rather than escalate the case, I simply wish the person luck finding another job and to consider where their loyalties should lie when mismanagement is a contributing factor to the imminent demise of the company.
× < >