• Jan 29th, 2013 1:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1101 posts
5 upvotes

I started working at my current company in august 2010. I was the best worker, did double the work , was better than the supervisor David.

In July 2012 a new employee Joe came. In september 2012 david had to go on a medical leave for 6 months. Owner and manager needed to appoint a new temporary supervisor. They chose Joe. Joe got the title and a pay raise ( $22).

I didnt say anything . I kept working like I always did , double the work , going above and beyond etc. Joe was just as bad of a worker as David. Joe only worked 3 days

Until sometime in Nov 2012 I didn't go to work on Wednesdays . so it was only 3 people working plus Joe.(4 people total) The work didn't got done. I came back next day Thursdays(also 4 people total) and the store manager was there and working with us. He never stayed and worked with us. Owner and manager were afraid same thing would happen and job didnt get done. But i was working and the job got done .THE manager didn't even had to help and he saw how good of a worker I was

Next day Friday I saw the owner. He offered me to be take charge opaid $22. Must be my manager who said something to the owner.
I took the offer.They don't change my pay rate . they pay me the difference from $22 minus my regular pay $13 = $9 for Thursdays and Fridays and pay me on a different cheque labeled "special payment".

We are in a union. I was reading the union handbook that if they needed to appoint a new crew chief it would be based on seniority and ability. I worked the longest out of everyone and able to take charge. Yet they bypassed me for the promotion and the pay raise and chose Joe who only worked for 2+months.

Ever since September 2012 I wanted to know why. i m kinda upset by this but i didnt let it affect my work.
My supervisor David is coming back next week. I want to resign but before i leave i really want to ask the manager why they bypassed me.

Should I ask? What if you are the manager, what would you think if i asked you? Do i have all the right to be upset about the whole thing?
22 replies
Nov 25, 2012
102 posts
36 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
yes you should go and talk to your manager or even higher ups. Put together one page highlights of what you have accomplished for your employer. Try to keep emotions out and be courteous and professional.

Remember "There is no limit to what you can achieve if you don't care who gets the credit. Life is a great leveler, eventually it catches up".

Good Luck!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1101 posts
5 upvotes
But what difference can it make now. my regular supervisor is coming back anyways so everything will go back to normal , just me being a normal staff and getting paid my normal rate.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12869 posts
574 upvotes
Just because you are a good worker does not mean they see supervisor in you at this time. One of the biggest mistakes is promoting solely based on being good in the current job.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes
At least you know what your manager plans to do if David quits...the next promotion will be Joe!

Basically, it's time to look for a new job opportunity elsewhere if you want to grow.

But, before you resign...you should figure out if you have any weaknesses? Maybe poor interpersonal skills? Maybe choppy grammar? Doing double the work means nothing...is the quality of your work high-level??? I worked with a few coworkers who rush things to make themselves look good...but after a few months and when things sink in...minor problems return.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7537 posts
591 upvotes
dagger, you got three options

1) shut your mouth and keep working at your job. cause joe might have pull strings that you don't have, like connection with the boss

2) you go to the union head and file for grievance. that's all.

3) you can quit, b/c joe will get it if david quit. no way around it, if you don't file grievance.
Jun 9, 2006
836 posts
83 upvotes
Thornhill
Talk to your higher ups. Just tell them what is on your mind. Keeping it to yourself is not going to help your situation. It is possible that things were overlooked or maybe you aren't the right fit in their eyes. But, after your chat, you will have a better understanding (hopefully) of what is going on and just ask them about what they think of you (strengths/weaknesses).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1101 posts
5 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 8:04 pm
Just because you are a good worker does not mean they see supervisor in you at this time. One of the biggest mistakes is promoting solely based on being good in the current job.
Joe is doing the exact same thing as the rest if the crew. difference is he gets paid more. when david was working he was doing supervisory work like paper work etc
At least you know what your manager plans to do if David quits...the next promotion will be Joe!

Basically, it's time to look for a new job opportunity elsewhere if you want to grow.

But, before you resign...you should figure out if you have any weaknesses? Maybe poor interpersonal skills? Maybe choppy grammar? Doing double the work means nothing...is the quality of your work high-level??? I worked with a few coworkers who rush things to make themselves look good...but after a few months and when things sink in...minor problems return.
the owner and manager did promote me for thursdays and fridays . so i dont think i have any weaknesses that could have prevented me from getting promoted in the first place.

dagger, you got three options

1) shut your mouth and keep working at your job. cause joe might have pull strings that you don't have, like connection with the boss

2) you go to the union head and file for grievance. that's all.

3) you can quit, b/c joe will get it if david quit. no way around it, if you don't file grievance
and what happens after i file for grievance?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
335 upvotes
Brisbane
nalababe wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 8:04 pm
Yep. You have to show ability and especially express desire to do the job you're shooting for. Not saying OP didn't, but seems to focus on current abilities in this thread.
Dec 3, 2010
301 posts
49 upvotes
Waterloo
I feel like there is a lot of info in this that the OP took out to have RFD side with him. The company has the right to choose whoever is more qualified. Just because you supposedly work harder and have been with the company for longer, doesn't mean you're more qualified. If you really were better, then you should bring it up. But right now I'm thinking that Joe was more qualified for the job and you're hit with jealousy.

You need to provide both sides of the story.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
dagger88 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 7:17 pm
Do i have all the right to be upset about the whole thing?
You have the right to be upset - just like the 5 year old who's upset and cry his heart out when he didn't get his ice cream.

Might not apply to your situation - but being in supervisory / managerial position often require certain characteristics / skills set that go beyond the regular work, ie. the best worker doesn't make the best manager, and vice versa.
dagger88 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 7:17 pm
We are in a union. I was reading the union handbook that if they needed to appoint a new crew chief it would be based on seniority and ability.
Lol ...
Aug 13, 2006
890 posts
96 upvotes
Burnaby
I don't see any reason NOT to ask why, as long as it is asked in the right tone. If you go in and demand explanation as you got screwed, guarantee you will not get an honest answer; rather you'll probably get the answer that gets you out the door the quickest. Go in, and explain yourself properly ... explain that you had expected the promotion and was surprised you didn't get it, particularly the job going to newbie Joe, and would like you understand their thinking, etc etc. you should get a much better response.

Grievances is the worst case. As it becomes a formal process, you get formal answers. Only do it if you feel you need to fight for your rights where you have a clear winning position.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2002
1506 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
Is Joe older or perhaps have prior supervisory experience? That could be a reason too although not necessarily a good reason.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1101 posts
5 upvotes
the whole thing is Joe is doing the EXACT same job as supervisor as before when he was a crew. many of you say he got the position because of he having some special skills i dont have etc BUT HE S DOING THE SAME WORK as us. i can do it faster and go above and beyond.
× < >