• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2013 1:49 am
Tags:
None
Apr 6, 2010
122 posts
29 upvotes
#1- You are an _____. Try reading your collective agreement
#2- I am a shop steward, you being a union brother doing 2 jobs or twice the work is not so wise, hence #1
#3- You are only receiving one paycheck and you are preventing somebody else from being hired or are working outside of your classification
#4- If you are performing work outside of your classification then ask first, demand second grieve third for the pay scale or or just refuse the extra work.
#5- Talk to your chairman and if he won't help then go to your local president, thats what you pay dues for.
#6- Demand that pay scale is correct and not as bonus in the event you are laid off, injured... then you will have the correct amounts to claim and also beware of taxes not being deducted correctly and owing a large amount year end.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
nalababe wrote: Just because you are a good worker does not mean they see supervisor in you at this time. One of the biggest mistakes is promoting solely based on being good in the current job.
This is the truth. I'm not necessarily saying this applies to you, OP, but in my experience the most competent workers are not boss material. Good workers tend to have proficiencies that give them great organizational skills, memory and multi-tasking ability, but it's almost like there was a tradeoff at birth, because they are stupid when it comes to people and when they are promoted, are generally hated and even when feared or respected, just bring workplace morale down with their presence - which is the opposite of what a good boss should be doing.

In my opinion, the best bosses are the 'still waters run deep' types who think a bit slower but in a more profound type of way.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
346 upvotes
Brisbane
Faith restored in this forum. Being responsible for others is not a promotion from A1 to A2. No matter how similar job duties are, it's never just about the pay raise. It's about building effective teams, offices, departments, divisions, and companies.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)