None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33820 posts
7761 upvotes
Ottawa
lexani wrote:
Jul 1st, 2013 6:37 pm
That's just 1 friend out of the several thousands of BMW owners with leatherette.
OK, I have owned a 3 series and I never had a problem. I have known many folks with one and one friend that still has an old one (point was "old" one). Sometimes people just need to have explanations to the extreme to get the point.
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Jul 1st, 2013 9:38 pm
Try Googling "bmw leatherette cracking" before you call baloney based on your one buddy's 1996 bmw.
I'll use the same comment that Lexani used on me....that's just a few posts out of several thousands of BMW owners.
Reason has it that the leatherette is no less durable than leather and, with less required care and attention. I can find as many people complaining about leather seats cracking as you can for leatherette so, lets be reasonable about this and not make the leatherette seat the make it or break it point for buying a BMW.?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9348 posts
1919 upvotes
Somewhere
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2013 12:52 pm
lets be reasonable about this and not make the leatherette seat the make it or break it point for buying a BMW.?
I never made it a make or break point.

I said my car has a crack in the leatherette and that others have posted about it on the internet.

The point of my post was that communicate that the high mileage entry-level luxury vehicles the OP has in mind will rack up maintenance costs, as others have also dutifully pointed out.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41315 posts
5051 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
plebeian wrote:
Jul 1st, 2013 5:24 am
op, do you have specific models for those cars?

like is the Lexus an IS 250 or 350?
$14000 seems an awful lot to pay for an 06' 250 IMO

also the cost of ownership for a 335i could prove to be quite a bit more than you bargained for because of HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) issues.
OMG I know so many people (like 3 lol) who have had theirs go multiple times. This is very different from a 328i or a 330i (BMW's bread and butter engines)

The reliability and cost of these vehicles vary quite a bit depending on model, specific models might help us give you better advice.

Also listing color and tranny type might help us build a profile of the car's previous owner.
It would be easier to tell if you are buying some motorhead's toy or just some old lady's means of transportation (I almost always stay away from the second option)

+1 OMG LOL... first time I sat in one I was like WTH is this???
I think thats because its the cheapest one on autotrader. I looked!
That says it all.