• Dec 25th, 2013 4:17 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 11, 2012
183 posts
3 upvotes
GUELPH

Thanks everyone for your opinion, I was not trying to commit fraud but was looking for a LEGAL way to lower the custom fees if possible. Let's not be too fast to jump to conclusions here. Maybe I should have been a bit more specific on my post. If there isn't any possible way to LEGALLY lower the custom fees for the package, I have no problem paying for them at the door. Although it'll be a big fee, what can I do, right? Hope you all have a merry Christmas.
Share:
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16122 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
How big is the package size? Is it a tv or small jewelry.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
263 upvotes
Kingston
Trying to commit fraud I see.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5346 posts
2364 upvotes
Winnipeg
you can save on brokerage by do the paper work by yourself.
Taxes--> you cannot save.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6346 posts
1108 upvotes
Mont-Royal
starboy869 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 6:30 pm
some fraud are ok
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
[OP]
Aug 11, 2012
183 posts
3 upvotes
GUELPH
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1174 posts
77 upvotes
Beamsville
What was the item? you may be hit with Taxes, Duty and brokerage.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2012
183 posts
3 upvotes
GUELPH
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5699 posts
1362 upvotes
BC
polloloco wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 6:27 pm
Would the seller have to pay anything if the package were to be denied and sent back?
Yes, and you would be billed for the return shipping plus maybe other incurred costs by the seller and FedEx.

On shoes, the duty rate is going to be 16%, not 7% as in the example you linked.

Tax will of course be 13% on the $4,000 item, plus on brokerage and advancement fee.

Assuming we are talking Ground shipment. Brokerage may not apply if air or express shipping was selected.

Refuse the shipment ONLY on the basis of disputing the amount payable to FedEx, and have the package returned to their depot (NOT back to the sender).

Then find out about how you can clear the shipment yourself and avoid the $80 or so brokerage fee, and the advancement fee.

If you can afford expensive shoes, you can afford the $1,300 or so tax and duty you will be paying, regardless of who does the importation.

Merry Christmas, but lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part, Christmas Eve or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
polloloco wrote:
NEED HELP PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. Long story short, something was bought for $4000 from the states and the seller marked it at full value, shipped through FedEx. Need any help possible to cut down on taxes/brokerage fees. Would it be possible to deny the package and have it re-sent but valued less? Would customs be suspicious? Would the seller have to pay anything if the package were to be denied and sent back? HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AGAIN.
I wouldn't consider it urgent that you're paying correct tax on a correctly declared item. Why on earth do people buy things from other countries if they aren't expecting to pay taxes and/or duties when importing the item into Canada?

Firstly, would be possible to deny the package, but your seller could be liable for additional fees.
Secondly, underdeclaring an item carries several risks. Firstly, insurance. If the item gets lost or damaged, the insurance will only cover the declared amount. Secondly, if Customs feels the item was under declared, the item could be seized and you would be subject to penalties including the unpaid tax and duty, PLUS a punitive amount…so you'd actually wind up paying more. Of course, if the sender makes an intentionally false declaration, they too are subject to legal action.

You bought the item from another country. You're subject to taxes. If you can afford to buy something for $4000, you can afford the taxes on the item. If you can't afford the taxes, don't buy the item. Problem solved.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11051 posts
4227 upvotes
Toronto
starboy869 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 6:30 pm
Yup...and op.....not urgent either
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20736 posts
6768 upvotes
MS MSP wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 9:24 pm
Yup...and op.....not urgent either
Op urgently wants to commit fraud.
And urgently wants it documented on the internet for all to see.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
polloloco wrote:
Thanks everyone for your opinion, I was not trying to commit fraud but was looking for a LEGAL way to lower the custom fees if possible.
You thought that making a false declaration on a customs form to undervalue a package would possibly be legal? The only legal way to reduce fees is to clear the item through Customs yourself, thereby avoiding brokerage costs from the courier company. Otherwise, there's not much else I can think of.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2012
183 posts
3 upvotes
GUELPH
Alright thank you and for future references do you know Custom's stance on values? Should/Could they be marked retail price or?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
polloloco wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 2:05 am
Alright thank you and for future references do you know Custom's stance on values? Should/Could they be marked retail price or?
Naturally they're interested in what you paid for the item. if in doubt, they can ask for proof of value and if they still don't believe you, they can do their own research and base it on retail or market value.

No, there's no way of having a valuation less than $4000 if you paid $4000 for the item.