Locked: -

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2017 10:31 am
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes

-

-
Last edited by Sharpies on Jun 6th, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You're under no obligations to anyone at this point. You haven't signed a job offer. So I'd say don't worry about it, but try to get some direction on the internal posting ASAP.

BTW, even after you've signed, you can still back out if you had to. Just like you can quit a job at any time. But you may be burning a bridge if you accepted (formally) a job and then backed out. At this point, you haven't even gotten a formal offer yet, though.

C
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: You're under no obligations to anyone at this point. You haven't signed a job offer. So I'd say don't worry about it, but try to get some direction on the internal posting ASAP.

BTW, even after you've signed, you can still back out if you had to. Just like you can quit a job at any time. But you may be burning a bridge if you accepted (formally) a job and then backed out. At this point, you haven't even gotten a formal offer yet, though.

C
That's true. I'm not sure what my obligations are after signing a conditional offer. The problem is it will take the internal posting at least a month or two to materialize, and I don't want to be in a situation where I am stuck at my current job with nowhere to go because I've burned the bridge with the company who offered me the job and I've been rejected by the potential internal position.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
Nothing is guaranteed until you sign that dotted line.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Sharpies wrote: That's true. I'm not sure what my obligations are after signing a conditional offer. The problem is it will take the internal posting at least a month or two to materialize, and I don't want to be in a situation where I am stuck at my current job with nowhere to go because I've burned the bridge with the company who offered me the job and I've been rejected by the potential internal position.
The conditional job offer will depends if you passed the reference check or not, so technically you have 75% chance of signing the offer. Submitting yourself to the internal position does not guarantee you anything at all (maybe someone else in the company is in a better position). Staying on your current job is the best option for you at this time.
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
What if they do give me the firm offer and the position starts in two weeks? If I decline, I will miss out on this opportunity while there is no guarantee that I will succeed in the competition for the internal position. If I accept the firm offer, I would be resigning from my current position, which might hurt my chances at getting the internal posting I'm interested in. And what if I get invited to an interview? Should I go ahead with it even if I have a firm offer in hand? It just seems rather unethical and unprofessional.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Sharpies wrote: What if they do give me the firm offer and the position starts in two weeks? If I decline, I will miss out on this opportunity while there is no guarantee that I will succeed in the competition for the internal position. If I accept the firm offer, I would be resigning from my current position, which might hurt my chances at getting the internal posting I'm interested in. And what if I get invited to an interview? Should I go ahead with it even if I have a firm offer in hand? It just seems rather unethical and unprofessional.
IS the unconditional job a long term permanent position or it just a temporary job?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. You should accept the first offer that comes to you. If the second offer comes your way too and is better than the first offer, you can always write a nice apology letter and let go of the first offer.

I had someone join my company who then left after only two days because his ex-employer called him back (obviously by making a better offer). So these things do happen.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: IS the unconditional job a long term permanent position or it just a temporary job?
The unconditional offer will be a long term permanent position.
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
Holystone wrote: A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. You should accept the first offer that comes to you. If the second offer comes your way too and is better than the first offer, you can always write a nice apology letter and let go of the first offer.

I had someone join my company who then left after only two days because his ex-employer called him back (obviously by making a better offer). So these things do happen.
Did he quit graciously and how did his boss take that news?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Sharpies wrote: The unconditional offer will be a long term permanent position.
Based on your "what if" , since its a long term permanent position and they give you a firm offer "ACCEPT IT", you still have 2 weeks to back out. If you heard nothing from the internal position during the 2 weeks then simple walk away. If you are given an interview, then more or less you have an idea where you are standing (who many competitor you have within the company) and decide yourself. At least if you fall short of their expectation then you still have another job to go to.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
The only thing that I know is that he called the next day to say that he won't be coming in as he has gone back to his old company.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
Sharpies wrote: Did he quit graciously and how did his boss take that news?
We had an IT manager that started and left after a week because he got a Director position at the government. Company isn't loyal to employees why should employees have loyalty to the company.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
abc123yyz wrote: We had an IT manager that started and left after a week because he got a Director position at the government. Company isn't loyal to employees why should employees have loyalty to the company.
true and yet very sad
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Sounds like the OP doesn't want to "burn the bridge" though, or at least the "bridge" sounds at least a little bit important to him.

Don't get caught up in the what-ifs at this point; like already mentioned you don't have a job offer yet.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
well ... if/when you get the new job , can you take "vacation/personal leave" (or whatever) from your old one (don't quit) - until you hear about your "internal posting" in the old job ? ... in that case you will have the "new job" and you will be "in line" for the internal position in your old job ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I always thought this wasn't that uncommon. Someone has a period of actively looking for work and they take an offer, then a better offer comes in late after they were already employed.

I think it's more on the employer or HR, they didn't hire the right candidate that may be slightly over qualified or they just didn't offer a competitive deal. It's not always an employers market these days.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
-
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Sharpies wrote: -
so ?
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
lubmar wrote: so ?
Got the firm job offer and have accepted it. Will just take it one step at a time and see how things go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)