• Oct 11th, 2010 3:32 pm
Tags:
None
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
My concern is whether Teksavvy's home line is jsut routed through their internet service. If that is the case, then there is a strong possibility faxing will not work as internet phone lines typically limit the frequences that is needed by a fax machine.

If you never need to use a fax machine then it isnt an issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
TekSavvy's phone is POTS, not VOIP, so no worries about the fax. And there's no additional fees, unless you sign up for their long distance plan (by default you're on the 3 cents/min though, which has no additional monthly fees)

The only costs I'd be worried about are cancellation fees with Bell if they silently signed you up for a 1 or 2 year contract in order for you to get the 3 month promo.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
I'm on TekSavvy landline (I think I saved some fees and monthly charge b/c I also have Internet with them)

It's no different than Bell really, POTS, fax works, but CHEAPER!!
I'd rather give money to TekSavvy than Bell

You keep the same phone #, TekSavvy switches the phone line for you to them, you don't have to do anything but sign up

OP: It's much easier to email/call TekSavvy b/c they have good customer service!! Reps actually know stuff
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
what are your opinions on techsavvy homephone

I hate rogers so freakin much, my mom is not very technology inclided and rogers finally forced her to get their voip service after telling the tech to f off. had sprint/rogers telecom, until they forced her to rogers home phone(voip)

rogers has been down atleast once a mth over the past year

techsavvy good?

its 22.50 + calldisplay, plus you get a $25 credit if you port from NON-bell

anyone have any beefs with techsavvy?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
No issues with Teksavvy.

Word of warning.
Those that changed to VOIP usually have more issues converting back to POTS just because Rogers, etc changed all the inside wiring. You will have to reconnect your internal wiring back to the demarc point where Bell (Teksavvy) connects to. Since you went VOIP, Rogers would have disconnected the wires from the demarc and re-routed the lines to their cable. Either do it yourself, or pay to get Bell (Teksavvy) to fix the inside wiring back to the demarc.

Bell/Teksavvy are only responsible up to the demarc point.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
thanks for the warning.

is there a way of checking if Rogers screwed around with this "demarc" or if they let it be. what does it look like, any pics would be greatly appreciated

I seriously wannaport my mom over to techsavvy but I dont want Bell/TSI to tack on a $110 to fix this "demarc" issue

does Rogers always re-wire this demarc thing? or are there times where they do not touch it

thanks in advance
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6385 posts
1743 upvotes
^ Yes. This ultimately depends on the age of your house and when the wiring was done.

My house is around 10 years old and the wiring is relatively new. The telephone switch in the basement has a phone socket to plug in the jack, which comes from demarc. Once that is plug to the socket, the whole house is hooked up.

Some older houses doesn't have a socket, this may need a technician to split two copper wire and insert it to the switch. (This can be DIY, if you know what u are doing)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
my mom lives in a fairly old townhouse condo complex, anyone know how to locate this reclusive "demarc"? have pictures?

previous poster said its fairly simply DIY if you know what you are doing, anyone know what they are doing and wanna help a brother out? :P
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1553 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently using Teksavvy's home line + internet. So far so good and much cheaper than what I paid in the past to Bell/Rogers! :D
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
is it possible that Rogers could have NOT fudged with the "demarc" and switching to techsavvy could just be as simple as calling them up? The reason I ask is because my mom lives in a town/condo complex and they dont have one of those BIG demarc boxes around their unit (that a house would have) that ive seen in the pics on the net. Could Rogers homephone worked without fudging with the "demarc"?

update, day 2 without Rogers homephone service (thats why I want her to switch to techsavvy ASAP, tired of Rogers' Bull of sending a tech out between the hours Monday 8am and sometime next May, dont they know ppl work during the day?)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6385 posts
1743 upvotes
^ Without looking at the switch in the basement you have no way of telling if the demarc is messed up.

1. go to front or back of the house and locate the Bell demarc box and try to trace how the line goes into your house (remember the colour of the wire)
2. basement, try locate that line inside the house
3. On the Rogers home phone box, there should be a phone line coming out that goes on the wall (locate that)
4. If you happen to locate the bell demarc line, flag it so u'll remember. Then once the Rogers ppl came and pickup the box, take that bell line and wire (or plug) it to the wall which the Rogers line went in.

(please let me know if you don't understand the above procedure)

in that case your demarc would be where the circuit breaker is. Look for it. Is the townhome freehold or managed?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
thanks tomtomtom

but here is my pradicament... no basement

its like condo/town complex, with common hallways to access the units, there is no big phone boxes in or around the unit (like there would be on a single dwelling/house) , just 4 phone jacks in the unit

btw update, rogers phone service is back up, BUT still wanna switch to techsavvy, i dont rememeber POTS ever going down, I hate rogers and their damn monopoly!! It would be nice if Sprint came back to Canada with POTS
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
cba123 wrote: No issues with Teksavvy.

Word of warning.
Those that changed to VOIP usually have more issues converting back to POTS just because Rogers, etc changed all the inside wiring. You will have to reconnect your internal wiring back to the demarc point where Bell (Teksavvy) connects to. Since you went VOIP, Rogers would have disconnected the wires from the demarc and re-routed the lines to their cable. Either do it yourself, or pay to get Bell (Teksavvy) to fix the inside wiring back to the demarc.

Bell/Teksavvy are only responsible up to the demarc point.
Does that mean if I switch straightly from Bell (and never used other Telco than Bell), no such concern listed above?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
yeah, you should have no probs swithing from Bell to Techsavvy, same service just dealing through a vendor, its only me that has these problems with those jerks over at Rogers :cry:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
1 more question... I am with Bell home phone now. Before I call Teksavvy, do I call Bell to file cancellation?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

May 13, 2010
148 posts
66 upvotes
h2o- wrote: 1 more question... I am with Bell home phone now. Before I call Teksavvy, do I call Bell to file cancellation?
No. If you want to keep your existing number, Teksavvy will take care of porting it over to them and will cancel Bell for you. If you want a new phone number, then I think you would need cancel Bell yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
rheimy wrote: No. If you want to keep your existing number, Teksavvy will take care of porting it over to them and will cancel Bell for you. If you want a new phone number, then I think you would need cancel Bell yourself.
I was told to check with Bell first to see if there is any requirement for advance notice prior to cancellation. Answer is YES otherwise I will be billed the whole month of service.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2249 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: I'm on TekSavvy landline (I think I saved some fees and monthly charge b/c I also have Internet with them)

It's no different than Bell really, POTS, fax works, but CHEAPER!!
I'd rather give money to TekSavvy than Bell

You keep the same phone #, TekSavvy switches the phone line for you to them, you don't have to do anything but sign up

OP: It's much easier to email/call TekSavvy b/c they have good customer service!! Reps actually know stuff
hOrnizuka wrote: I'm currently using Teksavvy's home line + internet. So far so good and much cheaper than what I paid in the past to Bell/Rogers! :D
Guys, I'm also kind of thinking of going with Teksavvy, for both home phone and internet.
Are there any discounts if signing up for both?
If I go with 21.48 (basic phone) + 3.00 (call display) + 31.95 (premium internet) + tax - are there any additional monthly charges and upfront charges (beside that $25 activation)?

I will most likely buy my own DSL modem - seems to be much cheaper, given prices on Bewawa and CC...

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)