• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 7:02 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3383 posts
435 upvotes
+1
on the leg room and width of the seat ...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1254 posts
398 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
pablonutribar wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:22 pm
Your first rule is legit, but the second is negotiable. The lower pressurization altitude of the 787 means less jet lag. I generally vote for less jet lag. Also, carriers like AC have high density 777s. Pure torture on a long haul flight.
Majority of airlines have switched to high density seating including JAL
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4631 posts
374 upvotes
Scarborough
I'd rather trust a B777 than a new plane such as B787, remember those battery fires ??
B777 - the Gold Standard in commercial aviation!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2065 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:48 pm
Majority of airlines have switched to high density seating including JAL
Ouch. Appears they've changed all of them over except for JAL's 777-300ERs. the 300ERs have still have decent economy seats. Seems as though only a few airlines have decent seat size and legroom on their 777s now (EVA Air and Cathay were two that haven't switched over to high density).

The race to the bottom continues!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2065 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:15 pm
I'd rather trust a B777 than a new plane such as B787, remember those battery fires ??
Do you trust 737s? They had some teething issues as well back in the day. 787s are fine now.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2065 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:26 am
It's a long flight, JAL most definitely. I've flown JAL 777s before on 13 hour routes in economy, and they were great. Also I'd never fly an American airline unless I absolutely have to, they really are terrible.
I'd tend to agree with you for the most part, but it really depends what your tolerances are. The Delta flight I took from NRT to SEA a while back had comfortable seats (2-3-2 on the 767), good AVOD, and one of the best economy meals I've seen in a long, long time. On the other hand, their flight attendants are downright rude. You can't seem to win on any airline - six of one; half dozen of the other!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1254 posts
398 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
pablonutribar wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:31 am
Ouch. Appears they've changed all of them over except for JAL's 777-300ERs. the 300ERs have still have decent economy seats. Seems as though only a few airlines have decent seat size and legroom on their 777s now (EVA Air and Cathay were two that haven't switched over to high density).

The race to the bottom continues!
Cathay is switching in 2017 to high density as well

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/econ ... sh-profits
Cathay Pacific Airways plans to cram 10 per cent more passengers into economy class, adding one more seat to the existing nine per row, as Hong Kong’s flagship carrier tries to reverse its loss-making operation.

The airline, which lost HK$575 million last year, will embark on a three-year overhaul of economy class, adding extra seats on Boeing 777-300 planes from the middle of next year.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7480 posts
1153 upvotes
London
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:28 pm
JAL all the way. Absolutely no question about it. I've flown most US airlines and none of them have adequate economy legroom. PLUS, the last 5 flights I flew with AA all had major delays/cancellations - I would have thought the law of averages would give me just one pleasant flight experience, but no.... Generally, NO to any US based airline for economy seating is my opinion.
+1 JAL and Singapore Airlines are the best out there.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2065 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:37 pm
Economy - even on good airlines - is crap any way you slice it. Just get me there safely and cheaply...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1254 posts
398 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
apvm wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:37 pm
JAL economy product is quite bad . When was last time you flew JAL? Due to their near bankruptcy and financial trouble and bailout..they've cut back immensely

SG still has a decent economy product but JAL is no better than a US carrier now
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7480 posts
1153 upvotes
London
pablonutribar wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 7:00 am

Economy - even on good airlines - is crap any way you slice it. Just get me there safely and cheaply...
+1
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:08 am
JAL economy product is quite bad . When was last time you flew JAL? Due to their near bankruptcy and financial trouble and bailout..they've cut back immensely

SG still has a decent economy product but JAL is no better than a US carrier now
Still better than a US carrier, imo. Looks like the saying is true "if you hate someone, tell him/her to invest in airlines' stock". By the way, used to fly a lot with JAL and SG when I was working for a Japanese shipping company in Asia, not anymore now. Mostly CA and WJA.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1005 posts
243 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:15 pm
That was in 2013 which and hasn't happened since. I have flown at least 5 times on a 787 and will always pick that over carrier. The big windows, higher humidity, and super quiet operation always results in me feeling fresh when I land after long international flights, vs feeling like pure crap with any other flight. Last flew 787 two month ago with United out of Brazil, love it, makes the flights feel so much more bearable.

JAL will have nicer flight attendants...but given the choice, I would fly ANA.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1019 posts
284 upvotes
New York City
eblend wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:06 am
The big windows, higher humidity, and super quiet operation always results in me feeling fresh when I land after long international flights, vs feeling like pure crap with any other flight. Last flew 787 two month ago with United out of Brazil, love it, makes the flights feel so much more bearable.
Interesting post. While I've been on hundreds of 787 routes, it never occurred to me that I felt more "refreshed" than the 777, A330 etc...but yes the air quality is known to be better. I do go out of my way to stay hydrated and skip alcohol in the air. I did try the AC 777HD once in Economy and the space was down-right terrible compared to the "old" 777 from what I recall.

Anyways up to OP to make his decision and live with it :)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2065 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:43 am
Interesting post. While I've been on hundreds of 787 routes, it never occurred to me that I felt more "refreshed" than the 777, A330 etc...but yes the air quality is known to be better. I do go out of my way to stay hydrated and skip alcohol in the air. I did try the AC 777HD once in Economy and the space was down-right terrible compared to the "old" 777 from what I recall.

Anyways up to OP to make his decision and live with it :)
It's not the air quality that makes it better, but the lower pressurization altitude.
Aug 24, 2011
52 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
I flew on the AA 787 from Lax to Auckland. The seating is really cramped. Even my wife who is fairly short was squished in. My video screen was down for the flight as well, so that benefit over the 777 was gone. The air quality/humidity did seem better than a typical flight, but I would go for more legroom. You can use Seat Guru to compare the flights and see the space difference. If the space is the same then go for the 787, but you will likely get more room on JAL (and better service).