• Oct 18th, 2009 2:50 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts

AA Ni-MH Batteries Smell After Use With SB-600

Hey:

Today I purchased a Nikon SB-600 Flash. After using it for about 40 shots (testing flash), I took the batteries out for charging and noticed they really smelled. Any explanations for this, or do I have cause to be alarmed? One of my friends has an SB-800 and I didn't notice that being the case with his batteries after use.

Thanks,
VMalska

Edit: The same burning smell is present within the battery compartment of my SB-600.
8 replies
Oct 13, 2003
240 posts
11 upvotes
You probably did something wrong. Did you fire off 40 full power blasts in 5 minutes or something? NiMH are good but they can't really supply that much power to a big flash in a short period of time. Most electronic flashes can't take it either. Hope it wasn't leased...
[OP]
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Qbit wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 6:47 pm
You probably did something wrong. Did you fire off 40 full power blasts in 5 minutes or something? NiMH are good but they can't really supply that much power to a big flash in a short period of time. Most electronic flashes can't take it either. Hope it wasn't leased...
I do not lease o.O...No, it was bought. I fired about 5 bursts of 4 shots each and then took some shots...within the time span of 10 minutes. It was on i-TTL BL.

Also, the batteries are NOT hot.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
*Bump by interested party*

Also, the batteries are Sony CycleEnergy AA 2000 mAh.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
VMalska wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 7:49 pm
*Bump by interested party*

Also, the batteries are Sony CycleEnergy AA 2000 mAh.
Did you bump your thread an hour after the last post?

A weird smell in a new flash is n0rmal.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 11:27 pm
Did you bump your thread an hour after the last post?

A weird smell in a new flash is n0rmal.
Perhaps^^...and then perhaps not. Also, a weird smell? I don't like my batteries smelling burnt...nor the compartment. When I tried out a friend's new 800 a couple of months ago, I didn't notice this.

Back to thread's topic: Is the smell of burning electronics something to be concerned about?^^ o.O...my common sense tells me yes...but then again.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 11:56 pm
It disappears with time.
Fair enough...but I'm swapping the Sonys for the Energizers anyway.