Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1949 posts
5 upvotes

Abandoned Industrial settings

I'm looking at photographing abandoned industrial settings... rusty machinery, old brickwork, lots of metal and stone... that kind of stuff...

Anyone have any ideas where I could go to photograph something like this in the Toronto or surrounding area?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13644 posts
3077 upvotes
London
3weddings wrote:
Jul 31st, 2008 7:58 am
If you don't mind the drive, there is a stunning old factory in Georgetown on Maple Ave and River Road. At least 100 years old on the Credit River...
Isn't there an old brick factory just south of TerraCotta that's occasionally used as a movie set?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
CPM440V wrote:
Jul 31st, 2008 11:43 am
What's the status with Don Valley Brickworks? Can anyone just go in there? Is this Evergreen company re-building it?
Haven't gone since last year, but I saw buncha people walking everywhere and I was taking photos of my car so opened the gate and drove my car in. No one seemed to mind.

pic:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1092/img0625ol6.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3121 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
sungfra wrote:
Jul 31st, 2008 1:48 pm
Be careful in places like that

http://tinyurl.com/6446jj
I thought it was about someone getting attacked by some unknown entity or something. :lol: But those places creep me out and I may check out the one in Georgetown this weekend - weather permitting. But does anyone know of any ghost towns near the GTA? That would be a cool shoot. All the ghost towns are too far away from my last Google search but came across one that caught my attention. It was an old abandoned prison near Sudbury and from the pictures, it creep the hell out of me. If it was closer I wouldn't mind going up there with a few people to explore it.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1559 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
This past June, a bunch of us conducted a photography workshop at the Brickworks, we had 5 photographers, two models and two make-up artists. We arrived at 8am at the Evergreen shed, got ready and spent rest of the morning in the actual abandoned Brickworks factory; on one bothered us. We were asked by an Evergreen employee if we had asked for permission prior to the workshop, we said "no" but that we were only going to be there until 1pm. If you go there, just be mindful of the environment and leave it the way you found it.

Lots of graffiti, shadows and rusty equipment.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
l69norm wrote:
Jul 31st, 2008 10:57 am
Isn't there an old brick factory just south of TerraCotta that's occasionally used as a movie set?
That could be it.....sad to say there are permit apps in place to convert it to condos...sigh. Thank goodness we have no water in Gtown...hate to see the scenery spoiled by more modern homes.
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3121 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
3weddings wrote:
Jul 31st, 2008 7:58 am
If you don't mind the drive, there is a stunning old factory in Georgetown on Maple Ave and River Road. At least 100 years old on the Credit River

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge ... 4&t=h&z=18
Went there couple of weeks ago. One car was parked in front of the entrance and I had no where to park so I drove around the block to some townhouses and left my car there to scope out the place. Viewing the place behind the chain linked fence I saw a lot of older structures that was broken/run down. It is stunning but I've heard a few screams coming out of the structures below. It wasn't haunted or late at night but I'm sure some people were fooling around. I had a unsafe feeling going down with my girlfriend and leaving my car on private property so I left.
Banned
Jun 25, 2007
70 posts
7 upvotes
Is the Don Valley Brickyard still in the state of where we can go and take pics ? Is it a place you can take a car into or possibly a bike ?

Anyone else have any locations like this? Or maybe some places with graffiti (where I won't get shanked or robbed if I stop for pics)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1949 posts
5 upvotes
Yes, the Don Valley Brickyard is open. There's a parking lot, and you can walk amongst the structures (without being mugged).
I was there just over a week ago. There were also about 3 other people walking around with cameras taking pictures of misc things.
Can't say that I was an abundance of graffiti.

The one place I've seen more graffiti was on the Don Valley bike path. If you walk up the path from the south end (from Lakeshore) for about 10-15 min, you'll see several spots that have generous graffiti.