Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8995 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto

ABC 'commits' to Greatest American Hero she-boot

Believe or not, ABC has faith in producer/writer Nahnatchka Khan

http://deadline.com/2017/09/the-greates ... 202164782/

I wonder if Disney will force Marvel to make an accompanying comic book although arguably their latest Ms Marvel occupies a similar diversity

13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11797 posts
1708 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see it being a huge hit on ABC, but I could be wrong.
It sounds like more of a Disney channel thing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26970 posts
3285 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are they going to use the same theme from the original? Joey Scarbury - Believe It Or Not

I wonder if she will lose the manual to the suit.
Jun 29, 2010
860 posts
189 upvotes
Believe it or not, George isn't at home,
Please leave a message at the beep.
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone,
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17459 posts
1915 upvotes
Montreal
Psychopathetic wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:25 am
Where could I be?
You sir are the master of trivia.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7633 posts
819 upvotes
Victoria
I barely remember the original. I think it was super young when it aired on TV. The only reason I remember watching it was because there was nothing else to watching on TV. On the other hand maybe it was good and it didn't appeal to a kid just about to start grade school.

I was still hoping they were going to do an A-Team TV reboot. I guess the idea for rebooting that TV series never made it to a pilot. I guess my point is, the A-team was a lot more popular. If they can't pull that off, can they really pull this off?
Mar 20, 2009
794 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:42 pm
I barely remember the original. I think it was super young when it aired on TV. The only reason I remember watching it was because there was nothing else to watching on TV. On the other hand maybe it was good and it didn't appeal to a kid just about to start grade school.
I'm guessing you are 41-42?

Same thing for me. I definitely watched this as a kid, but remember almost nothing.
I always wanted more costume hero stuff, which was often only a small part of the show.
No VCR or cable at this time, so choices were non existent.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7633 posts
819 upvotes
Victoria
shikotee wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:15 pm

Same thing for me. I definitely watched this as a kid, but remember almost nothing.
I always wanted more costume hero stuff, which was often only a small part of the show.
I guess I dated myself there.. slightly younger than you guessed, but only slightly :)

I agree that it's appeal to my childhood self was that there was a costumed superhero show on TV, but we didn't really enjoy it. We watched it because of lack of options. Given that it only lasted a few seasons the first time around, seems kind of a weird choice for a reboot. There doesn't seem to be a lot of positive nostalgia for it (other than us lamenting about the lack of options on TV in the early 80s).
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17459 posts
1915 upvotes
Montreal
shikotee wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:15 pm

My parents told me it was superman, which was as good as it gets with rabbit ears in Montreal. He flew crooked, had funny hair, and his x-ray vision was lame. The theme song was the highlight.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7351 posts
1031 upvotes
Winnipeg
Psychopathetic wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:25 am
Where could I be?
Oct 31, 2007
3227 posts
350 upvotes
I too remember this on TV as a kid, the song was definitely the most memorable part of the show!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8995 posts
1907 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:12 pm
My parents told me it was superman, ...
WB/DC actually sued ABC claiming GAH was a Superman rip off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Br ... anies,_Inc.

Another minor controversy was that the lead character's last name Hinkley was changed since a guy named John Hinckley Jr tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan

Maybe the pilot will wink at those controversies
Jul 5, 2003
221 posts
19 upvotes
Regina
nufan wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:05 pm
I too remember this on TV as a kid, the song was definitely the most memorable part of the show!
The most memorable part of the show for me was Connie Sellecca! I only watched because she was in it.