• Dec 10th, 2017 8:42 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2368 posts
960 upvotes
Vancouver
Elusive wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:15 pm
A&F is packable and comes with a fitting bag/pouch to pack it into.
Hollister no bag just the jacket from the description and pictures
$64 - $39 = $25 for a bag is a little expensive for RFD standards.

To be fair, there's a slight difference in fill power and probably material quality.
Sep 23, 2009
991 posts
511 upvotes
Got one of these last year, it's pretty warm for the current weathers (-5~5). It came with some defect though, the rope on the hood is unhinged, and the stitching came off easily. The zipper also couldn't last even a year, it just broke.

I'd say quality is so-so at best.
RFD: Pick any two.
  • In stock
  • Low Price
  • Quality Product
Jul 31, 2017
314 posts
49 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:46 pm
+1

I got that jacket in army green/orange zipper, fits snug, I really like it, no logos and could pass for something much more expensive. That was a great sale.
I hope you shared the sale on RFD. ;)
Dec 2, 2003
672 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
Spinner wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:59 pm
$64 - $39 = $25 for a bag is a little expensive for RFD standards.

To be fair, there's a slight difference in fill power and probably material quality.
You probably meant $54-39=$15 difference for a bag and convenience (in both cases you can apply a code for a discount for an almost apples to apples comparison).

A packable bag can cost anywhere from $9+ on amazon. Maybe cheaper local.
If you don't mind the 3 colors of the $39 hollister jackets it's a great deal.
If you prefer different color then the comparison is against the other jackets at hollister which are on sale $72
Then comparison of price is
72(25%off 32455)=$54 (650 fill power down)
64(15%off sign up code)=$54 (700 fill power down)
difference $0 for bag, maybe better quality, and the color you want from either company.
Then I'd go with the color you want, slightly warmer down fill, with convenience of the bag and not having to struggle to find one that fits and possibly lose the bag.

However, Hollister has "Responsible Down Standard"
Dec 3, 2016
41 posts
9 upvotes
Idlehands wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 11:05 pm
Got one of these last year, it's pretty warm for the current weathers (-5~5). It came with some defect though, the rope on the hood is unhinged, and the stitching came off easily. The zipper also couldn't last even a year, it just broke.

I'd say quality is so-so at best.
How's the sizing?
Jul 31, 2017
314 posts
49 upvotes
Elusive wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 6:30 am
You probably meant $54-39=$15 difference for a bag and convenience (in both cases you can apply a code for a discount for an almost apples to apples comparison).

A packable bag can cost anywhere from $9+ on amazon. Maybe cheaper local.
If you don't mind the 3 colors of the $39 hollister jackets it's a great deal.
If you prefer different color then the comparison is against the other jackets at hollister which are on sale $72
Then comparison of price is
72(25%off 32455)=$54 (650 fill power down)
64(15%off sign up code)=$54 (700 fill power down)
difference $0 for bag, maybe better quality, and the color you want from either company.
Then I'd go with the color you want, slightly warmer down fill, with convenience of the bag and not having to struggle to find one that fits and possibly lose the bag.

However, Hollister has "Responsible Down Standard"
I'm noticing much better quality on the A&F compared to the Hollister in Camo versions. I like the color better on the Hollister, blackish vs greenish. The A&F looks very warm and potentially looks like it could withstand winter weather but the Hollister does not. If the Hollister had a bag, then it'd be a no-brainer.

With that being said, the color and hood made me interested in buying the Hollister as it's more versatile and less stand outish.
Dec 2, 2003
672 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
BritishColumbian wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:10 am
I'm noticing much better quality on the A&F compared to the Hollister in Camo versions. I like the color better on the Hollister, blackish vs greenish. The A&F looks very warm and potentially looks like it could withstand winter weather but the Hollister does not. If the Hollister had a bag, then it'd be a no-brainer.

With that being said, the color and hood made me interested in buying the Hollister as it's more versatile and less stand outish.
Agree with you on the black vs green camo - personal preference.
The A&F one does appear so.
Looking forward to reviews!

Hesitant, but might buy both to test out in worst case...
Have the roots one which I think is 700 fill, packable, and responsible picked down...
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
1843 posts
233 upvotes
The 30% off your order doesn't apply to the puffers? for AnF
Nov 30, 2017
1 posts
just curious, does A&F stop giving the 15% off code for new email sign up? I tried a few times, but only received emails without code.
Aug 8, 2013
63 posts
70 upvotes
Delta
wow OP, great post.
I bought the m51 down parka instead
regular was $295.00
on sale for $177
-30% coupon code
-15% sign up code

came to $117 after taxes and ship to store for free.

Thank you!!
Jul 7, 2009
379 posts
129 upvotes
I have the $64 "Hooded down puffer jacket" and it is my go-to jacket for temperature between 3,4C and -14, -15C. It is very light, it is wind-proof, and it is reasonably warm. I don't like thick heavy jacket and I don't need an overly warm jacket either, until temp drops below -15C or even -20C, so this jacket is quite perfect for me. I've had mine for 2 winters now and it's good as new. The zipper works well, and it's metal no plastic. The threads are still holding strong, no tear anywhere. And the best part is it's a cheap jacket, if it is damaged I'll get another one.

I am 5'9 and 155 lbs and I fit well in a tight fit in S.
Jul 7, 2009
379 posts
129 upvotes
LOLUMIRINBRO wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:24 pm
wow OP, great post.
I bought the m51 down parka instead
regular was $295.00
on sale for $177
-30% coupon code
-15% sign up code

came to $117 after taxes and ship to store for free.

Thank you!!
btw I also have this m51 jacket ... which i also bought thanks to RFD for same price a month ago.

Comparing the light weight puffer jacket to the m51, the m51 is MUCH heavier, but also warmer. It's longer, so it keeps the upper thigh warm as well, and it's also much better against wind. But the m51 is heavy. Unless it's really cold outside I'd much rather wear my lightweight puffer jacket.

The M51 jacket fits more relaxed. I'm 5'9 155 lbs and I fit in a S ... in fact I can wear the puffer jacket INSIDE the m51 easily
Oct 23, 2012
77 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
number17 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:31 pm
Crap. I'm 5'2, 130lb and also order a small (since XS was sold out). I guess it's going back.
Aug 25, 2015
955 posts
216 upvotes
Montreal, QC
number17 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:31 pm
tight fit? i'm about the same size but went with a M just for a bit more room. got the down puffer instead since i already have a couple of lightweight coat with the one from eddie bauer that finally came

down puffer is about $85 after 30% and 15% discount with shipping. don't remember having a store in Montreal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)