[FS] About the BST forum: Free stuff

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 10:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 10, 2005
116 posts

About the BST forum: Free stuff

You can see repeat adds by same members with 40+ thousand views - I wonder how the mods allow that btw since its turning into kijji and loosing its meant purpose (just look at the 1st page any day and 5+ out of the 20 posts are the same, and just few individuals).

Maybe someone should start charging them ADVERT money so people DON'T have skip the 1st page(EX. Choosy, Mini510 etc..)

Edit - just setup a BOT to comment on my link every few hours like 'pros' do it here.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 19th, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title
6 replies
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
This is better suited to the Sites & Suggestions forum, but your message isn't clear...are you commenting on BST in general or just the Free Stuff subforum? Are you saying members are bumping their threads too often? There is a limit of two bumps per 24 hour period, some people are more diligent about bumping their threads than others, and excessive bumps do get reported regularly.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8133 posts
12555 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm also not 100% sure I understand what you're saying but with the addition of thread hiding, it should help clean up those recycled threads you mentioned. You can also setup alerts for the BST section if you're looking for a particular item.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
1100 posts
37 upvotes
Or actually post in your thread with your smartphone... Not sure what your beef is with people selling their stuff..

If you don't know how to reuse a thread to keep clutter down or mash the keyboard to bump your thread 2 times a day.. I don't know what to say.

But I digress.. this thread is pointless.. not sure why you think number is views has much effect on the thread since the items for sale are plainly stated..
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4053 posts
350 upvotes
Markham
Surprisingly Bot didn't come
[OP]
Dec 10, 2005
116 posts
Tom - its quite simple. RFD gets a lot of traffic from NON-members who do not setup thread hiding or just are not aware of that even as members.

If you open Kijiji it has a feature where you pay to have your add on the 1st page every day. This is the situation here - the PC sale/trade section is simply being taken advantage off plain and simple.

Yes, what I'm saying is its' all good in the hood if you have an occasional add every other week or so and bump it within the rulles but EVERY SINGLE day for months is a bit much - don't you guys think?

As an example. I can go ahead and post an add there for an old cdrom as a joke - and I will bump the thread twice a day, as per rules for the next 2 months. I wonder how every other reasonable user will feel about me occupying the front page with that

Something to think about when same few users basically have turned 1st page into their own for a while now.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8133 posts
12555 upvotes
Scarborough
@vortex240 our BST section was never meant to compete against sites like Kijiji. We're a forum and the BST section was created to work within our forum environment. Users can subscribe, search and add alerts for items that interest them. Yes those users who only casually browse by flipping through the pages might miss out on seeing what they're looking for but if someone really wants to find an item, they'll find it.

If someone wants to bump a useless thread for months there is currently no rule prohibiting that but they're really just wasting their own time.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].