Automotive

About to buy a 2011+ BMW 535i - How necessary is warranty on this?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 2:02 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3801 posts
1275 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: You're basically buying an 8 year old 5 series... you're going to be paying a lot for repairs
More like 15 years old....
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
136 upvotes
Bet OP will end up buying Corolla Type S over BMW 5 Series
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1049 posts
448 upvotes
It depends on what the CPO covers; 5-series are prone to gasket leaks (oil and transmission), water pump failure and some other things. Proper maintenance is a must. Some of the repairs / maintenance you can do yourself to save yourself $$$. The typical problems begin to manifest after 5 years of the car's age so I'd consider the two factors - CPO and self-repair - seriously before purchasing the car.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
uber_shnitz wrote: The 5 series used to be a perfectly capable driving machine. Ask any enthusiast and they can recall cars like the E39 M5 (and to an extent the 540i) which were obscenely great handling cars for their size. I agree though if you don't need the space, a 3 series does handle better overall and they're cheaper and less complex cars.
It still is... but in M5 form. The newer TT V8 (even just the F10) is a monster... even more so if tuned. Lots of 700 hp and ft/lb+ tuned examples. They depreciate hard (lots of nice examples around the $30-40K range) so for what you pay upfront, it's a pretty good deal, while having the space to lug people around and drive around in comfort.

Though after the E39, it felt like the chassis wasn't made to handle that much power, and RWD has a hard time putting that power to the ground. Even on my M4 (430HP, 406 ft/lb) it likes to spin tires... couldn't imagine trying to put down power in the 500s+

And also just probably out of OP's budget.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Save yourself a ton of money and get an Acura TL or Lexus IS350. It has everything the BMW does except for the brand prestige. But it will be just as luxurious, just as fast, just as good handling, cheaper to run, and a lot more reliable.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
CTS
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
$25k for a 2011 535 is just too high risk given the aforementioned N55/turbo issues. Even if inspection comes out good, if you do a research the consensus is this is a type of car that needs extra and constant TLC, a lot of putting up with, not a bulletproof daily driver like a Civic or Corolla. As others have mentioned there are other better more reliable options in the same class, or if you really want a 5 series just get a 528.
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: Save yourself a ton of money and get an Acura TL or Lexus IS350. It has everything the BMW does except for the brand prestige. But it will be just as luxurious, just as fast, just as good handling, cheaper to run, and a lot more reliable.
They really really won't be the same. Those cars have dinosaur naturally aspirated engines and slow auto transmissions compared to the turbo n55 with a quick zf8 box.

Edit: also there are no turbo issues on the N55. But all depends on the service history of the car, was it doing 15k oil change intervals? I'd stay away.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: They really really won't be the same. Those cars have dinosaur naturally aspirated engines and slow auto transmissions compared to the turbo n55 with a quick zf8 box.

Edit: also there are no turbo issues on the N55. But all depends on the service history of the car, was it doing 15k oil change intervals? I'd stay away.
TL and IS350 are both over 300 hp and all 3 cars run 0-100 in just under 6 seconds. The TL is also available with a 6 spd manual. Although the 535 probably feels torquier with its turbo.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: They really really won't be the same. Those cars have dinosaur naturally aspirated engines and slow auto transmissions compared to the turbo n55 with a quick zf8 box.

Yeah wasn't the service schedule for oil changes every 13,000-15,000kms before they switched to 10,000 in 2014? That is an absurdly long time to go without oil changes, especially if you drive hard. I change mine every 6-7k at home but that's only because I plan on buying my car once the lease is over. Otherwise why would I spend time and money on a car I never intend on keeping (which is probably the logic of most owners who like leasing). I can't see many people buying their 5 series at the end of the term. Correct me if i'm stereotyping, but I feel like the demographic of people leasing a mid-sized luxury estate car are either going to be able to write off a new one as a business expense, or have the cash to just re-lease the newest MY.
Oct 31, 2007
310 posts
161 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: You're basically buying an 8 year old 5 series... you're going to be paying a lot for repairs
+1 on this, I had an 2004 5 Series before and when my passenger side sensor on the seat was going in and out, they quoted me $3000 just to replace the sensor and to mention the $200 diagnostic charge... and the vehicle only had 95k on it so it was very low mileage. Needless to say I traded it in and went with an Acura instead.