Parenting & Family

About changing home school

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2018 2:40 pm
Tags:
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts

About changing home school

My daughter is a JK student in a Halton school. We have recently moved to a new address which is out of the boundary of her current school. At the mean time, we are still owned the house in the school boundary. The principle had asked us to change home school for my daughter. I didn't expect that happen since I'm still own the old house. Is there any way to keep my daughter in the same school? She has many friends in her school, and she doesn't want to change. Our families may move back to the old house in the future as well, we'd like to keep her in a stable grow environment.

Any suggests is highly appreciated.
12 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
It’s determined by where you live, not by what you own. So in order to attend the school, you have to live there. Otherwise you would need to apply under optional attendance. If you move back, then you would have the right to attend the home school.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4501 posts
3666 upvotes
Ottawa
A huge number of people pretend to live in a different district. How does the principal even know?. I guess you gave him a address change form. At this point you will need to spin an elaborate lie and if someone wants to investigate you may need to move mid year. (I don't think there would be any other consequence). She is young an will quickly adapt. It is also much better to live closer to school near friends and so she can walk when a little older.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
Thanks for your reply. I have changed the address at my son's school which is in the same school board as my daughter's. Then the school system got alert of my address change.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
At that age, she'll adapt very quickly. As was mentioned above, I feel it's better that she lives in a community with her friends from school, rather than commute to preserve JK friendships.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
jvnanu wrote: At that age, she'll adapt very quickly. As was mentioned above, I feel it's better that she lives in a community with her friends from school, rather than commute to preserve JK friendships.
Thanks for your reply. our new home is still within 2.3 km away from the current school. and 4.6 km away from the new school.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
wirebound wrote: It’s determined by where you live, not by what you own. So in order to attend the school, you have to live there. Otherwise you would need to apply under optional attendance. If you move back, then you would have the right to attend the home school.
Thanks for your reply. That was the principle told me. Is there any thing we can get exception from the rule? It's kind of stupid rule and it's rude to kick a current enrolled student out of school.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
RealtorGTA wrote: Thanks for your reply. That was the principle told me. Is there any thing we can get exception from the rule? It's kind of stupid rule and it's rude to kick a current enrolled student out of school.
It's not a stupid rule. It ensures that students who live near a school have space at that school. It is also based on the idea that all schools deliver the same curriculum and are staffed by professionals with the same training and skills and prevents parents from enrolling students at a school that they perceive to be "better." Principals are able to make exceptions as long as there is space at the school and you are able to convincingly articulate why you think the exception will benefit your child. Ultimately, it's their call.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
RealtorGTA wrote: Thanks for your reply. That was the principle told me. Is there any thing we can get exception from the rule? It's kind of stupid rule and it's rude to kick a current enrolled student out of school.
Like I said, you need to apply for optional attendance at your daughter's current school. Ask the Principal if your child can remain until the end of the school year - I don't think they would have an issue with that. Apply for optional attendance for next year but you'd need to do that every year and it won't always be guaranteed.

I presume by your username you're a realtor so I'm surprised this isn't something you already know. But in some parts of the city, you can move into an area and still not get into your local school. School boards are rightfully clamping down on people lying about their place of residence. Its not rude, its policy.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
wirebound wrote: Like I said, you need to apply for optional attendance at your daughter's current school. Ask the Principal if your child can remain until the end of the school year - I don't think they would have an issue with that. Apply for optional attendance for next year but you'd need to do that every year and it won't always be guaranteed.

I presume by your username you're a realtor so I'm surprised this isn't something you already know. But in some parts of the city, you can move into an area and still not get into your local school. School boards are rightfully clamping down on people lying about their place of residence. Its not rude, its policy.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by RealtorGTA on Jun 4th, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
wirebound wrote: Like I said, you need to apply for optional attendance at your daughter's current school. Ask the Principal if your child can remain until the end of the school year - I don't think they would have an issue with that. Apply for optional attendance for next year but you'd need to do that every year and it won't always be guaranteed.

I'm appropriated your answer. The current school is high ranked school and is full in the past years.
Mar 22, 2011
706 posts
248 upvotes
I know you are in Halton but In the Toronto District School Board, if your child is enrolled in the licensed before and after care AT the school, you may still stay at the existing school.
If the Halton school board has a similar rule and your child is in the Before and After school program, perhaps you can stay. Something to look into.
Apr 9, 2018
10 posts
jandb wrote: I know you are in Halton but In the Toronto District School Board, if your child is enrolled in the licensed before and after care AT the school, you may still stay at the existing school.
If the Halton school board has a similar rule and your child is in the Before and After school program, perhaps you can stay. Something to look into.
Thank you for this valuable information. I didn't know the before/after care can be a factor.