Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 21, 2006
208 posts
6 upvotes
Newmarket

about emplyee appearence

I would like to know how do I approach my employee about his physical appearance. His head his full of dandruff, doesn't take shower and not so well groomed. I don't want to loose him because he is good at work. Since its a retail business and he is involve with customers directly all the time and I myself personally doesn't feel good about this appearance which include his dressing, dandruff and hair cut. My question is

- By Law can I ask him specifically for each item to straighten out?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6021 posts
4138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I bet somewhere in the employee handbook, there's a section about employees appearing neat and groomed.
Jul 23, 2011
272 posts
61 upvotes
In Ontario, you cannot discriminate based on "race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability." (http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/social_areas/employment). Generally speaking, you otherwise have the right/ability to manage your business as you feel appropriate... so yes, these are things that you can attempt to address, ideally in a professional and tactful way.
Nov 1, 2010
395 posts
54 upvotes
There is no good way to to this but many wrong ones. I've had to deal with something similar in the past. the best way is to raise it in the most diplomatic manner possible and sticking to facts. Saying stuff like I have received comments about your appearance/body odors as opposed to you stink is a lesser evil. I started by indicating that I needed to discuss something that made me feel uncomfortable (which was true) and stuck to the issue. I did add a positive element in the end since the individual did excellent work otherwise.

What may to happen is that the individual feels worse than you do (Sometimes even humiliated) and that is a strong incentive to correct the situation. Web sites about how to deal with body odors are a good place to look.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
Maybe he has psoriasis. It can look like dandruff
Jul 10, 2005
754 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe try the angle that you are worried about HIM, because maybe his lack of grooming may be ruining HIS chances for a promotion or personal advancement, instead of saying that it interferes with YOUR business.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1389 posts
126 upvotes
Pluto
Maybe sit down with him in a private setting and state a customer had complained about his appearance. Try to be gentle and empathetic.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2006
208 posts
6 upvotes
Newmarket
May be I can sit with him and try to be gentle and empathetic. will see how it goes. keep you guys post.
thanks all.
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
627 upvotes
simple, give him a $500.00 bonus to buy new clothes and with a gift certificate to a haircutters or similiar.i think there's one or two around.ask him for the receipt on the clothes telling him you need it for accounting and also having the receipt will prevent him from returning the items
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
yeah this is difficult because it could be health related issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4265 posts
622 upvotes
Do you know for a fact he's not taking a shower?
I've had a co-worker tell me i have dandruff 2 hours after i washed my hair so it can be tricky sometimes. Daily shower and smell is something else though.