[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
247 posts
26 upvotes

About to make my first home purchase offer with builder's agent

Hey guys!

So I'm meeting the builder's agent on Monday to purchase this house
http://www.remax-quebec.com/fr/maison-a ... 566710.rmx

I do not have my own agent and will be filling the offer form directly with the builder's agent.

This is the first time ever I'm making an offer on a house so I'm not to sure what are the things that are important to include not to get screwed. Any ideas / tips?

Should I make the offer conditional to an inspection? The house is brand new and comes with the builder's warranty. Is it still worth it? The builder has a good reputation and has built dozens of houses in the neighborhood.

Price is 449,500$ after taxes and would like to offer 433,000$. Does that seems fair? Could the agent refuse to take that offer? That's a ~3.75% margin. The house is new but it was built for another couple who ended up no qualifying. The builder has been selling it for 2-3 months now. Also, they won't have my own agent to pay so I assume this is reasonable.

Also, will we be negociating on the pre-tax price (394,000$) or after tax price (449,500$)?

Is it a bad idea to go there without my own representation on Monday since I've never filled an offer form or if I'm careful of a few important points I should be ok?

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2636 posts
1952 upvotes
This is the first time ever I'm making an offer on a house so I'm not to sure what are the things that are important to include not to get screwed. Any ideas / tips?
Get an agent. Seriously, you have admitted that you have no experience buying a house, let alone any experience buying a new build. All those questions that you have asked are questions that an experienced realtor can answer for you and provide the advice and guidance that you need. Trying to pocket the money that the builder would have paid your realtor is a fool's game when you are talking about making a purchase of $450,000. You are focused on the small things and not the bigger picture.
Mar 24, 2016
562 posts
497 upvotes
scarborough
Nice house. Is it electric heating? If it is that going to be expensive
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2235 posts
503 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 1:21 pm
Nice house. Is it electric heating? If it is that going to be expensive
Quebec. Hydro rates are about half of what they are here Wynnetario.
Jan 30, 2006
857 posts
286 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 1:15 pm
Get an agent. Seriously, you have admitted that you have no experience buying a house, let alone any experience buying a new build. All those questions that you have asked are questions that an experienced realtor can answer for you and provide the advice and guidance that you need. Trying to pocket the money that the builder would have paid your realtor is a fool's game when you are talking about making a purchase of $450,000. You are focused on the small things and not the bigger picture.
realtors don't bring any value when you already know what you buy and know the price you ready to pay
and the questions he asks don't cost 2.5%

Offer form is a simple document but if necessary pay 100-200 to a lawyer to recheck before signing. realtor just waste of time and money